The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

Yeah, that's the one real "LOL" moment for me. As there's no humans in the story, it'll be a purely CG take on the original. The media need to look up their dictionary of terms.

It might be in the same vein as the other films which are definitely live-action to an extent, but it is not live action.

I wonder who will do the score. It has to have the original musical themes, and it sounds like it will, but who will be doing that? I'm assuming they'll ask Mark Mancina back for the songs.

I'm a little curious as to who they'll get to write the score for this film. They'll probably keep Hans Zimmer's original themes, so it would make sense to at least ask Hans Zimmer (and if the music came in the same vein as the Legacy Collection set that would be great) but if they decide to go a different route, who would do it?

Swear-word-for-certain-members-time here, but I could see Giacchino doing it if they don't go for Zimmer.

Live-action? Will they be filming a blue screen and then adding in everything with CGI? Because that's the only way I can think of to make this qualify as 'live-action'!

Just now, Skelly said:

Live-action? Will they be filming a blue screen and then adding in everything with CGI? Because that's the only way I can think of to make this qualify as 'live-action'!

That's where I'm kind of facepalming. Everything is going to be CGI, so there's no way it can be live action of any kind.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Why bad?

I guess he just doesn't like remakes.

58 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

It's a shame that we've gotten to a point where we expect bad film decisions to be made so frequently.

There's more to see than just the mainstream blockbusters, so honestly I don't care.

8 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

No where in that article does it state that this is live action, so why are everyone's panties in a bunch?

That's not an article it's a press release.  It's how every entertainment news outlet is reporting it that we're complaining about.  Just google "Lion king" in the news section of Google or something and you'll see.

It will modeled after Favreau's The Jungle Book, which was all CGI apart from the one child actor who played Mowgli.  Of course, The Lion King has no human characters, so it will be all CGI.

I really like the new version of The Jungle Book. But part of that movie already seemed to BE The Lion King.

So what are they going to do for the buffalo stampede now that they already just did that? :blink:

They don't come right out and say it, but it's pretty easy to infer that this film will stylistically be like the recent Jungle Book remake.

• They're hiring Jon Favreau for the project, who directed the incredibly successful live-action Jungle Book remake.
  • The press release cites both Jungle Book and the upcoming live-action Beauty and the Beast remake as other Disney films to be excited about.
  • It says it'll include songs from the ANIMATED film, as if to imply this one won't be animated.

2 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

So what are they going to do for the buffalo stampede now that they already just did that? :blink:

Wildebeest. African buffaloes, instead of those found in India. Completely different animal. 

Just now, WojinPA said:

Wildebeest. African buffaloes, instead of those found in India. Completely different animal. 

Yup. But how is the scene going to play out differently, I wonder. :lol:

1 hour ago, WojinPA said:

Spoiler / Mufasa dies / spoiler 

Nuuu! You ruined it! Now I can't enjoy this film that has the same plot as a film that's twenty-two years old!

:P

JWFan's not the only site I've seen the suggestion about Debney repeated on. So what is with this obsession with Debney? I know he did a fairly good score with The Jungle Book, but it's the only one of the Disney reimaginings line he's done. Patrick Doyle and James Newton Howard have worked on films in this line, and Alan Menken has done Beauty And The Beast and is most likely going to do Aladdin and The Little Mermaid when they get around to those. If we're bandying about composers, throw them a bone too. Otherwise, I'd fully expect Disney to ask Zimmer, Lebo M and Mancina first.

Speaking of The Jungle Book, though: wasn't The Jungle Book 2 supposed to be Favreau's next project? Think he'll take producer on that to do this instead?

4 minutes ago, Gistech said:

JWFan's not the only site I've seen the suggestion about Debney repeated on. So what is with this obsession with Debney?

John Debney has scored 4 of Favreau's 8 films.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

John Debney has scored 4 of Favreau's 8 films.

I see. Still, that's not an ironclad guarantee Debney will be doing the score. In this instance, I could see Disney insisting on allowing Zimmer right of first refusal.

(I clearly haven't seen half of the Favreau-directed films)

Zimmer will most definitely refuse. He's done that, he's won an Oscar for it. And he's moved on ages ago. He seemed bored with TLK questions when I attended one of the Q&A sessions some time ago.

Karol

I doubt Zimmer's music is going to be used. They'll be using Elton John's songs (a couple of them), just as they used a couple of the original JUNGLE BOOK songs for the live action version earlier this year. Speaking of the latter, that was rather stale affair, IMO -- basically an amusement park attraction. So you could say I'm rather skeptical of this new LION KING film, molded on the same approach.

Doing a completely CGI remake of The Lion King is completely pointless. I can understand the other Disney remakes to a degree, but this... there's no point to it other than the bean counters.

Favreau, you've really disappointed me. I'd rather see him tackle The Jungle Book 2, which is going by the wayside since Disney is eager to get The Lion King in production.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I doubt Zimmer's music is going to be used. They'll be using Elton John's songs (a couple of them), just as they used a couple of the original JUNGLE BOOK songs for the live action version earlier this year. Speaking of the latter, that was rather stale affair, IMO -- basically an amusement park attraction. So you could say I'm rather skeptical of this new LION KING film, molded on the same approach.

Jungle Book used parts of George Bruns' score as well as the songs.

There have already been several live action versions of The Lion King, most famously by Mel Gibson and Kenneth Branagh. Though it seems unlikely that Morricone or Doyle would return to score.

I understand the book is quite good as well.