The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

Apparently The Lion King and The Jungle Book 2 will be done back to back.

http://collider.com/lion-king-jungle-book-2-jon-favreau-interview/

I'd expect production of The Jungle Book 2 to begin this year, then, while Neel Sethi is still young enough. Debney's going to be a busy man. He's going to pretty much have to score one after the other.

I'll be very curious to see what they do with the story in Jungle Book 2.

And whether they can make a sequel that holds up to last year's wonderful version.

The Lion King, on the other hand, seems really quote pointless.

I wish them a lot of good luck with making it fell different from The Jungle Book!

On 9/28/2016 at 3:21 PM, crocodile said:

Debney is Favreau's favreau composer. ;) My bet? He'll use some songs but it will be very much a new score.

I could see them going either way with it....either mostly a new score with probably at least a few token nods to Zimmer's themes and Elton John's melodies, or essentially adapting and re-recording the original score in full (which is what I'm guessing they're doing with Beauty and the Beast ).

But yeah, I would be pretty surprised if Hansu himself returned.

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

Oh it would be great that if they hire zimmer he or his team arranges the score to full orchestra, not a single synth note!

If, and this is a big if, if he did come back, I'd expect him to use updated versions of the synth percussion the original score has.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Oh it would be great that if they hire zimmer he or his team arranges the score to full orchestra, not a single synth note!

Keep on dreaming, boy!

We'd get a complete synth recording, without a single note played by a real instrument!

If zimmer doesnt want to do it, the most sensible thing would be hiring Mancina. But one or the two have to do it. Or debney could be the one doing a symphony version of zimmer's music. I mean... this film has to have the original music...

It would be an easy job for debney (and im sure nobody would care because everyone loves the original music) and he could pour more effort into jungle 2.

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

If zimmer doesnt want to do it, the most sensible thing would be hiring Mancina. But one or the two have to do it. Or debney could be the one doing a symphony version of zimmer's music. I mean... this film has to have the original music...

It would be an easy job for debney (and im sure nobody would care because everyone loves the original music) and he could pour more effort into jungle 2.

I think the best thing is to bring in Mancina for the songs and have Debney do the rest of the score.

So that is the limit of vision of how a great 90's score should be redone for it's remake. Get some guys in to retool the songs and score so they are more conventional?

Let's hope the original artist doesnt attempt to return to to and put a new spin on it after a few decades of growing as a composer!

I'm beginning to understand The Grey Pilgim a little better these days. Because what is suggested here sounds safe, and revolting!

• 4 weeks later...

The only reason they're bringing back the CNN guy is for the Star Wars fans.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Donald Glover joins the cast as Simba, James Earl Jones returns as Mufasa

To be honest, I'm happy they ditched Broderick -he was easily the weak link of them all.

Dr. Niko Tapodapolous?

Not surprised they went with someone else for Simba after talk of a fall-out between Broderick and Disney. Glover is a good choice. Wonder if they will approach other members of the original cast.

I dunno. Benedict Cumberbatch has a decent enough voice to be able to do it. I once thought Tom Hiddleston could, but... kinda seems like typecasting because he's already done Loki.

Of course, I think Irons deserves right of first refusal.

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

This is great, and I hope this starts a new trend: remakes with most of the team of the original film! This is really exciting!

It worked for TFA. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Release date confirmed as July 19, 2019, Billy Eichner and Seth Rogen are in final talks for the roles of Timon and Pumbaa., Beyonce 'top choice' for Nala.

http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/25/frozen-2-lion-king-disney-release-dates/

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/841623-timon-and-pumbaa

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/beyonce-lion-king-remake-nala-1202019931/

Yes, but the original Pete's Dragon wasn't that good to start with.

The more casting news I hear from the Favreau remake, I'm just kinda turned off. It might be a respectable retread like Bill Condon's Beauty and the Beast remake, but pointless in the end.

17 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I hope they remake Treasure Planet.

I'll watch that for sure!!!

Plus live action Atlantis: The Lost Empire made as a full-blown adventure movie.

Together with Mulan and Aladdin, I reckon those four lend themselves the best to it.

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Well didn't they remake Pete's Dragon?

Why did they even have two last year?

Pete's Dragon was not too bad, I suppose, but a very far cry from last year's other Disney remake!

The Jungle Book is by far Disney's best live-action remake. The visual effects were incredible.

Will this Lion King remake be completely CGI, like TJB?

1 minute ago, JohnSolo said:

The Jungle Book is by far Disney's best live-action remake. The visual effects were incredible.

Yes. And the story was pretty solid, the acting well done plus the best John Debney score in years.

Most likely. And without an actual human character this time, I assume.

The Jungle Book wasn't completely CGI. But I think The Lion King will be. No reason to use any practical effects if there are no live actors.

It has a lot to live up to, considering both the original film and the fact it will also be compared to the live-action Jungle Book. But they also have a golden opportunity to create their own continuity outside of the original film series (as much as I did enjoy Simba's Pride, let's not pretend it was anything more than average). Plus, they can actually delve a bit deeper into the story. While not everybody wants to know Scar's origin, for instance, the remake can delve a bit more into Scar's years as King.

5 minutes ago, Gistech said:

The Jungle Book wasn't completely CGI.

It was almost entirely CGI!

5 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Plus, they can actually delve a bit deeper into the story. While not everybody wants to know Scar's origin, for instance, the remake can delve a bit more into Scar's years as King.

Perhaps a prologue of some sorts that explains the enmity between Scar and Musfasa?

Just now, JohnSolo said:

Perhaps a prologue of some sorts that explains the enmity between Scar and Musfasa?

Something a bit better than the cop-out of The Lion Guard, at least.

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

The phrases "not completely" and "almost entirely" don't exactly have the same meaning. ;)

You're not completely explaining your argument about ambiguous terminology using almost entirely more ambiguous language?