The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

Well, let's hope that the right winging Debney never gets to touch this. Not sure why Favreau sticks around with this militant republican. Mancina will do great re-arrangements of the work, or they can go back to Zimmer.

2 hours ago, thestat said:

Well, let's hope that the right winging Debney never gets to touch this. Not sure why Favreau sticks around with this militant republican scum. Mancina will do great re-arrangements of the work, or they can go back to Zimmer.

Obvious troll is obvious. 

On 4/27/2017 at 11:46 AM, nightscape94 said:

I still get "Every Little Piece" stuck in my head from time to time.  Pete's Dragon was on constant rotation when I was growing up.

Helen Reddy was gorgeous. I just remember her in "Candle on the Water."

Everything else was rather blah.

• 1 month later...

In the grand scheme of things, this might not mean much at all, but John Debney liked a Tweet I made a while back, asking if he would be doing the score for The Lion King.

Nope.  And I'm specifically not a fan of his overrated, godawful Jungle Book score.

OK, godawful is a little strong.  I was just flabbergasted by the rave reviews it got.  I thought it was boring and lacking anything interesting.

1 minute ago, Muldoon said:

Since they got Menken back for Beauty and the Beast, the only thing I can say is -- Zimmer or bust!

Yes!  Still my sentimental pick for favorite Zimmer score.

10 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't see much of a point in those live-action remakes...

There is none and I refuse to see any of them.  I watched the first 15 minutes of Jungle Book before I turned it off in disgust.  Haven't and won't see Cinderella or Beauty and the Beast.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

I don't see much of a point in composers revisiting their old scores... But then again, I don't see much of a point in those live-action remakes...

(And before anyone mentions that: no, it's not like sequels, as with those composers get to expand the musical soundscape and thematic material introduced in the first film. Here, we're talking about composers basically scoring the same film twice).

There is indeed a possibility that we'll basically get the same score again, but I think there's a stronger possibility that someone like Debney will come in and write something terribly... adequate. I'd rather have something exceptional and I want to believe that there's also a possibility Zimmer will revisit his work, adding little flourishes maybe even turning it into something a little more mature. I'm told such a "mature" recording exists for Hunchback of Notre Dame. Apparently it's a bit less kiddie/mickey-mousey.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

There is none and I refuse to see any of them.  I watched the first 15 minutes of Jungle Book before I turned it off in disgust.

That bad? I cannot help but be curious on why.

I found it by far one of the most surprisingly enjoyable films from last year.

My expectation was pretty much rock bottom before I actually watched the movie though.

• 5 weeks later...

It's taken them ages to announce this, given that both VOs for Simba and Mufasa were announced so quickly, so I'm wondering if they DID approach Irons but perhaps he wasn't interested in the role or was otherwise unavailable. I mean, Zazu, Timon and Pumbaa all got announced ahead of Scar.

I'm just going to have to tune out all the people saying things like, "Live-action Simba is so cute!" or I'll go insane.

HE'S JUST AS MUCH AN ANIMATION AS THE ORIGINAL

Apparently a clip was shown at D23, and it was a shot-for-shot remake of the Circle of Life sequence, in particular where Rafiki presents Simba.

Please tell me that they do more with this than a shot-for-shot remake. That was one of Beauty and the Beast's biggest issues in my book.

It's completely pointless. You might as well be watching the original.

Then again, Favreau didn't do that with Jungle Book so I'm hoping we won't get a shot-for-shot remake.

3 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You don't think it's possible to improve something while retaining it's composition?

Of course it's possible, but from what I've seen it didn't do Beauty And The Beast any favours (in my view) and I'm a little concerned that they'll do the same with the Lion King. The Lion King is clearly going to follow the original story closely, but I'd rather see them doing something more with it than a simple shot-for-shot remake. The Jungle Book wasn't a shot-for-shot remake of the animated film - in fact I'd say they decided to lean closer to the book in some ways than the original animated film did. I could certainly see this film using some new ideas and some ideas that didn't make the original film.

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

You don't think it's possible to improve something while retaining it's composition?

Nope, and Van Sant's Psycho drove the nail into that coffin. The flesh-and-blood facsimile will always come off worse.

Nobody brings up Pete's Dragon for some reason on these lists. Then again, the 'remake' might as well be an all-new film because it is (thankfully) nothing like the original.

35 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Nobody brings up Pete's Dragon for some reason on these lists. Then again, the 'remake' might as well be an all-new film because it is (thankfully) nothing like the original.

Probably because it was treated like a much smaller film, and it's not based off a well Disney film. Good movie though.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Weird. If mufasa can be no other than earl Jones, scar should not be other than irons :(

I can imagine it was hard to get Irons back. I'm sure they considered his name at least.

44 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Does anyone know why last year there were two remakes?

Is that a sign of things to come and we'll get Marvel numbers of films?

Their music is generally pretty solid and most are fun enough, so I wouldn't mind much.

But I do prefer if they focus on the stuff that life action does well (e.g. not the songs).

Also, whose clever idea was it to make the new Aladdin into a full blown musical? Way to ruin a promising story concept!

I was hoping for a more up-to-date version of The Thief of Baghdad...

Oh wait, that one was littered with silly songs as well. Bugger. Still figure a good film could be made out of that by focusing on the Arabian adventure instead though!

Why are grown men so adverse to the unstoppable march of changing trends in cinema? 

Grizzled tip: accept that there's fuck all to be achieved from moaning about literally everything in the arts you happen to disagree with. Make your peace with everlasting indifference.