The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

The funniest thing for me is that trusted media picked this story up, giving it credibility it clearly wasn't supposed to have.

• 1 month later...

LTTP, but here's a bit more news: Beyonce is in final talks to both play Nala and provide the score.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Will-Beyonce-Join-THE-LION-KING-Remake-with-A-Starring-Role-AND-a-Soundtrack-20170731

5 minutes ago, Gistech said:

LTTP, but here's a bit more news: Beyonce is in final talks to both play Nala and provide the score.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Will-Beyonce-Join-THE-LION-KING-Remake-with-A-Starring-Role-AND-a-Soundtrack-20170731

I know JWFan will have a measured, calm response to this.  But for me, this project is so fucking pointless and braindead to begin with I'd be ok if a new Beyonce album is the big takeaway.

Just now, Brónach said:

I don't understand the existence of this movie.

I do. Its existence is money.

The route it seems they are going to take is a shot-for-shot remake. Not that keen on the idea, TBH.

1 minute ago, Brónach said:

So this is a shot-for-shot animated CGI remake of The Lion King.

I have no words.

The Circle of Life sequence shown at D23 was shot-for-shot according to those who saw it. It is of course possible that it won't entirely be shot-for-shot, but the fact that such a crucial sequence was is telling.

• 1 month later...

Full cast confirmed.

Banzai and Ed are conspicuous in their absence, instead it seems Azizi and Kamari are taking their place so it seems the hyenas aren't going to be slapstick this time around. Beyonce playing Nala means that the previous news about her providing the score is likely true too, though given Favreau's love-in with Debney I wouldn't be surprised if Debney did some of the work.

Of course. In 1993, JT Thomas and Matt Broderick were permitted to voice Simba because social media did not exist. 

Now, we live in a world where an Asian American named Robert Lee opts not to call a Virginia football game. 

Along with this official casting announcement, Disney revealed that The Lion King remake is bringing back Hans Zimmer to score the feature. Like its animated predecessor, this new Lion King will be a musical, and like with Beauty and the Beast earlier this year, you can count on some new songs being thrown in with the classic tunes. The Lion King will also follow in Beauty and the Beast's footsteps by being a relatively straightforward adaptation of the original Lion King, as opposed to a drastically different re-telling akin to Maleficent.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1720490/the-lion-king-remake-full-cast-revealed-and-its-incredible

35 minutes ago, James said:

Along with this official casting announcement, Disney revealed that The Lion King remake is bringing back Hans Zimmer to score the feature. Like its animated predecessor, this new Lion King will be a musical, and like with Beauty and the Beast earlier this year, you can count on some new songs being thrown in with the classic tunes. The Lion King will also follow in Beauty and the Beast's footsteps by being a relatively straightforward adaptation of the original Lion King, as opposed to a drastically different re-telling akin to Maleficent.

https://www.cinemablend.com/news/1720490/the-lion-king-remake-full-cast-revealed-and-its-incredible

Incredible news for me. As a Zimmer fan, I am so glad he is doing a spectacle movie that is fun and lively as opposed to his recent efforts. 

1 hour ago, Woj said:

Of course. In 1993, JT Thomas and Matt Broderick were permitted to voice Simba because social media did not exist. 

Now, we live in a world where an Asian American named Robert Lee opts not to call a Virginia football game. 

Broderick was always the weak link in that cast, in my opinion. So I don't mind they are getting rid of him.

Irons on the other hand....

32 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Glad to see Zimmer back. To me The Lion King is his still his finest achievement in terms of music. 

I always thought The Lion King, Gladiator, and Interstellar are the best representation of Zimmer's entire spectrum. The Lion King demonstrates his melodic prowess and ethnic integration. Gladiator demonstrate his ability to create masculine power anthems and terrific usage of vocals. Interstellar demonstrates his ability to create effective, evocative, minimal music. 

I really, REALLY like the recent version of The Jungle Book.

The Lion King, however, sounds less and less interesting the more I hear about it.

This only reinforced by opinion. I'm disappointed. :(

If they do remakes, I really like them being different.

Give me Maleficent over Beauty and the Beast any day!

I would expect it to be updated, and maybe some new material as well, but it definitely won't be the same score, given Zimmer 3ix a different composer when you compare him to 23 years ago.

I'm just really surprised that he's not using Debney.

This is great to know and the score will certainly be very interesting to listen to. Both the original film and score are my all-time favourites. Looking forward to this. :)

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It does. For example, Nintendo sold 2 million SNES Classics, nearly the same amount of Switch units sold in the US. 

That's very different.  It's a new way to experience the original games.  Akin to rereleasing a classic film on bluray.

Zimmer's Lion King score is great, but I'm not too excited about a retread of it.  As offbeat as it was, I would have loved to see Beyoncé (who is great) score the movie - it would have brought something really different.  I'm sure the original rumor was incorrect, and that she wrote a song or two.  Nala didn't have any songs in the original movie, and it would be a crime to cast Beyoncé in a musical and not have her sing.  A crime!

Donald Glover is the best, and Billy Eichner is also a national treasure.  I think the casting is great.  Lots of people I love in there.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

Zimmer's Lion King score is great, but I'm not too excited about a retread of it.  As offbeat as it was, I would have loved to see Beyoncé (who is great) score the movie - it would have brought something really different.  I'm sure the original rumor was incorrect, and that she wrote a song or two.  Nala didn't have any songs in the original movie, and it would be a crime to cast Beyoncé in a musical and not have her sing.  A crime!

Um... didn't Nala sing in Can You Feel The Love Tonight? Sure, it was only a verse, but it was Nala singing. No character had a solo song.

3 minutes ago, Gistech said:

Um... didn't Nala sing in Can You Feel The Love Tonight? Sure, it was only a verse, but it was Nala singing. No character had a solo song.

You may be right - bad memory!  I don't think I've seen the movie since the 1990s.  When I hear it on the album, it always sounded like studio singers after the Pumbaa/Timon bits.

Just now, mstrox said:

You may be right - bad memory!  I haven't seen the movie since the 1990s.  When I hear it on the album, it always sounded like studio singers after the Pumbaa/Timon bits.

They hired people to specifically sing for the songs instead of using the original acts. In fact, adult Simba is sung by Joseph Williams.

There's a little bit of back and forth with Zazu in Just Can't Wait to Be King - enough to say it's a duet, I'd say, although he's all spoken word.  I'd say that in spite of a little dialogue from the hyenas, Be Prepared is definitely a solo number though.

Just now, mstrox said:

There's a little bit of back and forth with Zazu in Just Can't Wait to Be King - enough to say it's a duet, I'd say, although he's all spoken word.

I think both Rowan Atkinson and Jeremy Irons spoke their song parts instead of actually singing.

While the cast in itself is impressive, I'm disappointed they didn't bring back more of the original cast.

Also, the likelihood of having Joseph Williams (the son of our beloved favourite composer) coming back to do Simba's singing voice is pretty slim, I think.

Some of the biggest names in film scoring today began as pop songwriters and musicians - Elfman, Zimmer, Mothersbaugh, Randy Newman.  Also, Reznor, whatever.  Badly Drawn Boy has scored three.  Stuart Murdoch from Belle and Sebastian has scored two.  Nick Cave has been scoring films for over two decades.  I have no qualms with an interesting choice of composer, although it would be a real coup for a first score to be Disney's tentpole CGI feature.

I only followed this movie through other posts in this thread, honestly (until the cast list popped up on Twitter yesterday, where I saw it first).  I think the Beyoncé scoring thing may have just been a misinterpretation of this line:  "New songs by Beyonce will reportedly be recorded for the film, in addition to the animated film's classic score."