The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

46 minutes ago, Thor said:

While the cast in itself is impressive, I'm disappointed they didn't bring back more of the original cast.

Seriously?

I'm really starting to wonder what's going on here. People happy the same composer who did the original returns, people who want most of the original cast to return... Is this what people want, now? Remakes of movies with the same team that did the original? Exciting times we live in...

I guess I need to stop posting in this thread, else this is going to encourage people to come up with the good ol' "U just a ater ating for the sake of ating!" argument...

17 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Seriously?

I'm really starting to wonder what's going on here. People happy the same composer who did the original returns, people who want most of the original cast to return... Is this what people want, now? Remakes of movies with the same team that did the original? Exciting times we live in...

I guess I need to stop posting in this thread, else this is going to encourage people to come up with the good ol' "U just a ater ating for the sake of ating!" argument...

Ideally, there shouldn't be this many remakes at all. But now that they're doing it, you might just as well. All of the original cast is still around.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

While the cast in itself is impressive, I'm disappointed they didn't bring back more of the original cast.

Also, the likelihood of having Joseph Williams (the son of our beloved favourite composer) coming back to do Simba's singing voice is pretty slim, I think.

I'm sure Donald Glover will do his own singing, yeah. Probably part of why they cast him. Same with Beyonce, obviously.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ideally, there shouldn't be this many remakes at all. But now that they're doing it, you might just as well. All of the original cast is still around.

But again, why? What's the interest in that? You already had a Lion King movie with the original cast: it was the original movie! Why do you want a remake of the film to have most of the same cast? I mean, the added value of a remake comes from what it does differently than the original. That's the only thing that can make a remake somehow interesting: the stuff that will be done differently. Getting the same cast doesn't add any value: it's just giving you what you already had. You already had a Lion King movie with that cast. Why do you need the same Lion King movie with the same cast?

I just... I just don't get it.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

That's very different.  It's a new way to experience the original games.  Akin to rereleasing a classic film on bluray.

Are the games remastered or improved upon in any way? My understanding is that it’s just an official emulator. Either way, you think a collection of those same games on Virtual Console on the Switch would have sold 2 million? It’s the nostalgia, man!

Just now, Koray Savas said:

Are the games remastered or improved upon in any way? My understanding is that it’s just an official emulator. Either way, you think a collection of those same games on Virtual Console on the Switch would have sold 2 million? It’s the nostalgia, man!

Oh I agree it's nostalgia that sold it.

It looks like The Lion King is headed for Beauty and the Beast territory: enjoyable but pointless money-grab.

Especially with Zimmer back to score the remake, I expect some of his most iconic tracks to be used verbatim.

3 hours ago, mstrox said:

Some of the biggest names in film scoring today began as pop songwriters and musicians - Elfman, Zimmer, Mothersbaugh, Randy Newman.  Also, Reznor, whatever.  Badly Drawn Boy has scored three.  Stuart Murdoch from Belle and Sebastian has scored two.  Nick Cave has been scoring films for over two decades.  I have no qualms with an interesting choice of composer, although it would be a real coup for a first score to be Disney's tentpole CGI feature.

I only followed this movie through other posts in this thread, honestly (until the cast list popped up on Twitter yesterday, where I saw it first).  I think the Beyoncé scoring thing may have just been a misinterpretation of this line:  "New songs by Beyonce will reportedly be recorded for the film, in addition to the animated film's classic score."

Yeah but some of those people have talent.

I doubt I'll be able to change your mind so I won't bother, but I find Beyoncé to have remarkable talent - vocally and in her writing (obviously for the songs that are written as collaborations, an audit would need to be done to determine how much input Queen B had - such is pop music).

3 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

But again, why? What's the interest in that? You already had a Lion King movie with the original cast: it was the original movie! Why do you want a remake of the film to have most of the same cast? I mean, the added value of a remake comes from what it does differently than the original. That's the only thing that can make a remake somehow interesting: the stuff that will be done differently. Getting the same cast doesn't add any value: it's just giving you what you already had. You already had a Lion King movie with that cast. Why do you need the same Lion King movie with the same cast?

I just... I just don't get it.

It's a strange world we live in my friend. Where carbon copies sell billions...

35 minutes ago, crocodile said:

So is this Hans Zimmer doing this... or is it "Hans Zimmer"?

Karol

The latter, most likely. Zimmer hasn't wrote that kind of music with his own hands in decades. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wallfisch taking more of the reigns on this one.

44 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I doubt I'll be able to change your mind so I won't bother, but I find Beyoncé to have remarkable talent - vocally and in her writing (obviously for the songs that are written as collaborations, an audit would need to be done to determine how much input Queen B had - such is pop music).

Are we the same person?

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

It looks like The Lion King is headed for Beauty and the Beast territory: enjoyable but pointless money-grab.

Especially with Zimmer back to score the remake, I expect some of his most iconic tracks to be used verbatim.

Well of course, The Circle Of Life is an iconic moment in film history. I imagine it’ll sound more like his recent performances on his live tour, which is fine by me. 

2 hours ago, KK said:

The latter, most likely. Zimmer hasn't wrote that kind of music with his own hands in decades. I wouldn't be surprised to see Wallfisch taking more of the reigns on this one.

Quite the contrary, I can easily see this as more of a solo Zimmer effort, given his strong and personal connection to the original score. Unless he gets Mark Mancina involved again, but I'm not sure they're even talking anymore.

Maybe. That's a nice sentimental idea. But honestly, I think Zimmer is at a point in his life and career where he's probably only going to fly solo for very specific collaborators, like Nolan. He's not unlike Williams in that regard.

I just don't see him doing the same with a big Disney, cash-grab remake. Especially not for a score that might rely heavily on a more traditional Disney orchestral vocabulary. It's the kind of language that he usually gets a larger team involved with. 

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any news so far that suggests any sort of an original approach to this...?

I quite appreciated that The Jungle Book was different from the animated original. :unsure:

50 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Has there been any news so far that suggests any sort of an original approach to this...?

I quite appreciated that The Jungle Book was different from the animated original. :unsure:

Quite the opposite, actually: it's supposed to be faithful to the original - in fact, according to D23 attendees, the Circle of Life sequence is practically a shot-for-shot remake of the original. However, given Zimmer and Elton John are reworking their music, and the fact they decided to rename Banzai and Ed, I'm going to guess some deviation from the original.

I figured as much. Have to admit, despite this being made by the same director of The Jungle Book, I'm really not excited for it at all.

But we'll see; I'll watch it eventually anyway.

In addition to bringing Elton John, Zimmer & the old cast back, I think they should scrap plans to make this live action/CGI and just make it a straight up, classic, hand drawn Disney animation. Maybe they could just dig up the old animation cells and trace the new drawings from that. Or better yet, just use the same ones to save on the budget.

It's also likely the as the cast and singers have aged, their voices have changed and are perhaps not quite as good, so maybe they could use alternates of the original recordings. Or better yet, since they would have chosen the best versions to appear in the film, why not use those?!

Excited for the first trailer!!!! Hope there are no spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1.12.2017 at 11:42 PM, BloodBoal said:

In order to provide a completely different experience, Elton John wrote one new song for the film, and Hans Zimmer decided to add an instrument to one of his old cues. The characters of Banzai and Ed were also rename Bonzoi and Ted, thus creating unexpected surprises for fans of the original film!

Also Mufasa survives his deadly fall and becomes a the masked vigilante of the Pride Lands, called the Dark Lion, who terrorizes Scar and his minions throughout the film! Oh shoot... we shouldn't have revealed that, should we. Oh well.

On 01/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, BloodBoal said:

In order to provide a completely different experience, Elton John wrote one new song for the film, and Hans Zimmer decided to add an instrument to one of his old cues. The characters of Banzai and Ed were also renamed Bonzoi and Ted, thus creating unexpected surprises for fans of the original film!

Tina Guo making sexy cello perfomances of the old themes?

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I dunno, on a visual level, it looks good, but I'm still not convinced this really needs to exist. I'm saving my opinion for when it comes out.

If there's anyone who can save this from being a shot-for-shot cashgrab remake, it's John Favreau.

1 minute ago, John said:

I dunno, on a visual level, it looks good, but I'm still not convinced this really needs to exist. I'm saving my opinion for when it comes out.

If there's anyone who can save this from being a shot-for-shot cashgrab remake, it's John Favreau.

Kind of my opinion on it.

From the teaser, it seems the Circle of Life sequence is, at least, shot for shot. If that's all that's shot-for-shot, then that's okay.

I'm interested to see how Zimmer chooses to revise and rework the original score, though.

Some pretty visuals aside, the whole things look at redundant as ever. Why try and compete with the original beautiful sequence? It'll inevitably fall short.

I don't know why they couldn't have gotten all the original people to reprise their roles for their characters.  Yes there's a couple here and there (James Earl Jones and John Kani (voiced Rafiki)).  Still ....I think I might just skip this...I'm like others that it's disappointing they didn't get Jeremy Irons back for this....I mean it's possible it was due to scheduling conflicts but still...

11 minutes ago, Trent B said:

I don't know why they couldn't have gotten all the original people to reprise their roles for their characters.  Yes there's a couple here and there (James Earl Jones and John Kani (voiced Rafiki)).

John Kani did not voice Rafiki prior to this movie. The late Robert Guillaume (Benson in the 1980s) voiced Rafiki in the animated films. 

5 hours ago, Gistech said:

From the teaser, it seems the Circle of Life sequence is, at least, shot for shot. If that's all that's shot-for-shot, then that's okay.

The beginning of the stampede looks to be shot for shot too.