• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Gistech

The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

154 posts in this topic

Zimmer will most definitely refuse. He's done that, he's won an Oscar for it. And he's moved on ages ago. He seemed bored with TLK questions when I attended one of the Q&A sessions some time ago.

Karol

I doubt Zimmer's music is going to be used. They'll be using Elton John's songs (a couple of them), just as they used a couple of the original JUNGLE BOOK songs for the live action version earlier this year. Speaking of the latter, that was rather stale affair, IMO -- basically an amusement park attraction. So you could say I'm rather skeptical of this new LION KING film, molded on the same approach.

3 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

With Jon Favreau directing, it should be called Lion Man.

960.jpg

Pullin' an axe on me eh?  Sneakin' up on me, eh???

Doing a completely CGI remake of The Lion King is completely pointless. I can understand the other Disney remakes to a degree, but this... there's no point to it other than the bean counters.

Favreau, you've really disappointed me. I'd rather see him tackle The Jungle Book 2, which is going by the wayside since Disney is eager to get The Lion King in production.

5 hours ago, Gistech said:

Nuuu! You ruined it! Now I can't enjoy this film that has the same plot as a film that's twenty-two years old!

:P

The plot is actually 416 years old ;)

Richard and Once like this

4 hours ago, Thor said:

I doubt Zimmer's music is going to be used. They'll be using Elton John's songs (a couple of them), just as they used a couple of the original JUNGLE BOOK songs for the live action version earlier this year. Speaking of the latter, that was rather stale affair, IMO -- basically an amusement park attraction. So you could say I'm rather skeptical of this new LION KING film, molded on the same approach.

Jungle Book used parts of George Bruns' score as well as the songs.

There have already been several live action versions of The Lion King, most famously by Mel Gibson and Kenneth Branagh. Though it seems unlikely that Morricone or Doyle would return to score.

I understand the book is quite good as well.

Apparently The Lion King and The Jungle Book 2 will be done back to back.

http://collider.com/lion-king-jungle-book-2-jon-favreau-interview/

I'd expect production of The Jungle Book 2 to begin this year, then, while Neel Sethi is still young enough. Debney's going to be a busy man. He's going to pretty much have to score one after the other.

Pieter_Boelen likes this

I hadnt seen this news (lion king remake)

It's interesting...

Man...with so much practice the sfx are having with this...one day the perfect anatomical correct animal will be created :D

I'll be very curious to see what they do with the story in Jungle Book 2.

And whether they can make a sequel that holds up to last year's wonderful version.

The Lion King, on the other hand, seems really quote pointless.

I wish them a lot of good luck with making it fell different from The Jungle Book!

On 9/28/2016 at 3:21 PM, crocodile said:

Debney is Favreau's favreau composer. ;) My bet? He'll use some songs but it will be very much a new score.

I could see them going either way with it....either mostly a new score with probably at least a few token nods to Zimmer's themes and Elton John's melodies, or essentially adapting and re-recording the original score in full (which is what I'm guessing they're doing with Beauty and the Beast ).

But yeah, I would be pretty surprised if Hansu himself returned.

Well The Jungle Book is different in that George Bruns is dead. They brought Menken back for Beauty And The Beast so it would only make sense that they would at least want to bring back Zimmer. 

Oh it would be great that if they hire zimmer he or his team arranges the score to full orchestra, not a single synth note!

That's 100% improbable because thats not how Zimmer works. He doesnt write for just an orchestra.

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

Oh it would be great that if they hire zimmer he or his team arranges the score to full orchestra, not a single synth note!

If, and this is a big if, if he did come back, I'd expect him to use updated versions of the synth percussion the original score has.

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Keep on dreaming, boy!

We'd get a complete synth recording, without a single note played by a real instrument!

If zimmer doesnt want to do it, the most sensible thing would be hiring Mancina. But one or the two have to do it. Or debney could be the one doing a symphony version of zimmer's music. I mean... this film has to have the original music...

It would be an easy job for debney (and im sure nobody would care because everyone loves the original music) and he could pour more effort into jungle 2.

Hansu is eager to show off his companies next generation of interactive samples. Soon the need for human players will be no more!

Just now, Luke Skywalker said:

If zimmer doesnt want to do it, the most sensible thing would be hiring Mancina. But one or the two have to do it. Or debney could be the one doing a symphony version of zimmer's music. I mean... this film has to have the original music...

It would be an easy job for debney (and im sure nobody would care because everyone loves the original music) and he could pour more effort into jungle 2.

I think the best thing is to bring in Mancina for the songs and have Debney do the rest of the score.

So that is the limit of vision of how a great 90's score should be redone for it's remake. Get some guys in to retool the songs and score so they are more conventional?

Let's hope the original artist doesnt attempt to return to to and put a new spin on it after a few decades of growing as a composer!

I'm beginning to understand The Grey Pilgim a little better these days. Because what is suggested here sounds safe, and revolting!

Well lets see how the beauty and the beast has been adapted, and then i will make my choice.

Exactly! Do not presume before something has even been created!

What is the point of remaking all these films, except to make even more cash for probably the greediest corporation on the face of the planet?

These are fake films!

Since they're bringing JEJ back to essentially say the same lines again, why don't they just use the same voice recordings and build new CGI characters and environments to replace the cartoon ones?

crumbs likes this

1 hour ago, Rose Dawson said:

Dr. Niko Tapodapolous?

It's Tatopoulos.

matthew-broderick-as-dr-niko-tatopoulos-

Evil-Lyn likes this

Not surprised they went with someone else for Simba after talk of a fall-out between Broderick and Disney. Glover is a good choice. Wonder if they will approach other members of the original cast.

This is great, and I hope this starts a new trend: remakes with most of the team of the original film! This is really exciting!

Once likes this

Surely Jeremy Irons returns to do Scar. He owned that role, can't imagine anyone else beating his effort.

I dunno. Benedict Cumberbatch has a decent enough voice to be able to do it. I once thought Tom Hiddleston could, but... kinda seems like typecasting because he's already done Loki.

Of course, I think Irons deserves right of first refusal.

Just put him on helium for the lionesses and that'll work!

7 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

This is great, and I hope this starts a new trend: remakes with most of the team of the original film! This is really exciting!

It worked for TFA.