The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

5 hours ago, KK said:

Some pretty visuals aside, the whole things look at redundant as ever. Why try and compete with the original beautiful sequence? It'll inevitably fall short.

They don't care about that, they just know 90's nostalgia junkies are going to pay money to see this for the sake of it.

And I bet a dollar they'll have an even gayer Timon and Pumbaa in this one just to win over that demographic and be paraded as being progressive on clickbait articles!

Sounds like they just took James Earl Jones’ dialogue from the first film and re-used it. 

His voice sounds much much younger than it did in Rogue One.

11 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

They don't care about that, they just know 90's nostalgia junkies are going to pay money to see this for the sake of it.

And I bet a dollar they'll have an even gayer Timon and Pumbaa in this one just to win over that demographic and be paraded as being progressive on clickbait articles!

:(

1 hour ago, Wojism said:

Nostalgia is a powerful and lucrative thing these days. 

We need Bill Mahrer to condemn this movie because of all the people who haven't grown up. 

Did he do a specific segment on this whole nostalgia generation? 

18 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

Is 90's nostalgia a thing now? Who could be nostalgic about the 90's?

9 hours ago, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

It's been a thing for a while now, especially since the 2000s and 2010s have been some shitty decades.

2000s Disney... urgh... 🤢

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, Fabulin said:

2000s had Dinosaur, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, RatatouilleWALL-E and UP .

Those first four movies are terrible. There is a difference between Disney Animation and Pixar films, which the latter three are. 

I agree with Gistech that Disney Animation Studios consistently began to put out quality films starting in 2010, after a heck of a slump throughout the 2000s.

I've discovered over the years that MANY people like the Disney movies of the early 90s MUCH more than I do.  Then I'm even more bemused to discover that there are people out there who think Disney movies of the later 90s are great.

5 minutes ago, John said:

Those first four movies are terrible. There is a difference between Disney Animation and Pixar films, which the latter three are. 

I agree with Gistech that Disney Animation Studios consistently began to put out quality films starting in 2010, after a heck of a slump throughout the 2000s.

I like Atlantis a lot. Its more of an adventure film, not typical Disney. 

On 11/24/2018 at 2:38 AM, Horner's Dynamic Range said:

...especially since the 2000s and 2010s have been some shitty decades.

Though not if you're into collecting limited edition soundtrack releases.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:05 PM, John said:

I like Dinosaur a bit, Treasure Planet quite a bit and Atlantis is probably my favourite Disney animated movie ever (though Mulan gives it a run for its money).

But I can understand why people wouldn't like Atlantis, because that movie seems to mostly have been made especially for me. ;)

• 4 months later...

This looks good. It looks like there's quite a bit of key dialogue change going on.

Having said that... I'm not sold on Scar's look. I had to do a double-take on the first shot of him to make sure I was looking at Scar.

This is going to make an absolute bank. Looks excellent, too.

Mildly interested in Zimmer's update of the score, TBH. The original is a classic score but the synth elements have aged it quite poorly IMO.

Hopefully the remake score is a little kinder to the orchestral voices.

Should have gotten David Attenborough to narrate the trailer faux-documentary style. 

The animals look bad. They appear devoid of all personality, which is bad when they are speaking English from their articulating mouths. 

8 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Mildly interested in Zimmer's update of the score, TBH. The original is a classic score but the synth elements have aged it quite poorly IMO.

Hopefully the remake score is a little kinder to the orchestral voices.

I'm pretty sure the trailer music is Zimmer. I can hear the old-style percussion instruments in there. Having said that, the 1994 score suffered because Jay Rifkin thought it a good idea to mix in parts of Zimmer's synth demoes. That's why I like the Legacy set: it sounds much more natural (clipping issues aside). I'd expect this to be more percussion-heavy as per his more recent scores, but I'm hoping it doesn't down out the melodic parts. That use of Simba's theme in the trailer was bloody epic.

13 minutes ago, W0$ said:

The animals look bad. They appear devoid of all personality, which is bad when they are speaking English from their articulating mouths. 

That's the approach Favreau took with The Jungle Book: to avoid making it feel hightened. The animals largely look as they would look in real life.

I've seen Serkis' take, and the attempt to give the animals a human resemblence looks really wierd.

8 minutes ago, Gistech said:

That's why I like the Legacy set: it sounds much more natural (clipping issues aside).

Didn't even know the score was finally released properly! Thought only the bootleg existed.

When did this happen?

2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Didn't even know the score was finally released properly! Thought only the bootleg existed.

When did this happen?

Just before its 20th anniversary, 5 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walt_Disney_Records_the_Legacy_Collection#The_Lion_King

You don't get any alternates in there, though it does contain the correct version of Sunrise at Pride Rock, all of the missing chorus restored, and a selection of demo tracks.

I have a 5-year-old so I will definitely be seeing it.  Looks pretty terrible, though.   I just can't get behind the more slavish remakes they've gone all-in on.  I did see Dumbo the other week, it was alright, nothing great.  At least it was doing something different from the original.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

When did this happen?

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24545-hans-zimmers-the-lion-king-2cd-legacy-collection

Just now, Fargo said:

Scar's voice is bad. Too generic is the right word maybe... Why no Jeremy Irons?

I wouldn't say bad, but I'm hoping that the hokey line delivery in places is fixed. The reason Jeremy Irons isn't doing it because he didn't want to do it.

50 minutes ago, Gistech said:

The reason Jeremy Irons isn't doing it because he didn't want to do it.

Is that true? Surprising! He absolutely nailed that role. I can understand an actor's reluctance to go over old territory though.

All the lions are played by black actors. Perhaps they didn't want Scar to be the exception. The only actor that returns is James Earl Jones

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

It's a great expansion. One of my favourite of the Legacy Collection.

20 minutes ago, Romão said:

All the lions are played by black actors. Perhaps they didn't want Scar to be the exception. The only actor that returns is James Earl Jones

They could have gotten a white South African to voice a lion. Who wouldn't want Dave Matthews to start voice acting? 

I think the measure at whether a film can be remade and it not feel money-grabbing and pointless, should be that if basically everyone is still alive and able to just come back and play their same characters, direct, write, hell even compose the score, then it shouldn't be remade. For example; people will just ask , "why not bring back Jeremy Irons if you're bringing back James Earl Jones?" But if they brought back everyone involved in the original production, then what's the point of making it other than money? That is why I say a remake, where the original creators are easily capable of returning, is stupid.

A remake should also say something very different than the original in terms of the state of society and the overall times we live in. What is this Lion King going to say? "Look what we can do with CGI instead of animation! Now give us your fu**ing money, you gullible idiots."

Is anyone else only interested in these live action remakes just for the revisitations of the scores?

For Beauty and the Beast, that was my only good takeaway. Aladdin will probably be the same. Otherwise, I don't like the idea of any of these. 

7 hours ago, Gistech said:

Having said that... I'm not sold on Scar's look. I had to do a double-take on the first shot of him to make sure I was looking at Scar.

Agreed. In the original his mane was black, no? Now he's just another lion.

I can't look past the in-your-face money-grabbing Disney are doing with them. I know that giant corporations are all money-grabbing, but this seems like it's just taking the piss. I haven't seen any of their remakes and wont be. They don't interest me at all. Even Zimmer's score seems pointless. At least get someone new with a different take, or what's the point?