The Lion King (Jon Favreau)

Giftheck

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Tarrantino would surely have made something interesting out of this, with a score by Morricone and DiCaprio in the role as Simba.

Yes, I'm sure we'd all love to see Scar get his head blown off in the finale.

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

CGI looks fucking incredible in this. Color me impressed. 

I'll give it that much too, yeah.

Keen to hear Zimmer's score for this. The original stands out as one of his finest, particularly the theme heard in that trailer (presumably it'll be less trailer-fied in the film). I imagine he'll be leaning quite hard on the African elements and less on the synths this time round. I'm really excited to hear it.

6 hours ago, leeallen01 said:

A remake should also say something very different than the original in terms of the state of society and the overall times we live in.

Would you like a gay Simba starring in The Lion Queen? 

I'm hearing a rumour that Scar won't be Mufasa's brother in this, which would actually fit in with how real-world lions work (Scar would be co-leader of the pride). It might explain his emaciated appearance as well, if he's not eating properly (a rogue lion would be chased off if it encroached on the hunt of a pride). It's not something that would be put across well in a cartoon version, but it would in this context.

(Side note: it would also harken back to when, during development of the 1994 film, Scar bore no relation to Mufasa)

1 minute ago, dougie said:

So they made this one more realistic and relatable?

I think that's some of the angle they're going for,  yes.

Oh then if they make the lion king 2, kovu can truly be scars son and they don't get weird into cousin-cousin relationship...

Anyway there are cases about sibling male lions in charge of a pride so I don't see why they change this. It steals part of the drama if mufasa - Simba are not betrayed by  a family member.... These are the kind of unnecessary changes that make 50% of the audience complain in the internet. Why do they make them?

All this desire for realism....and yet we won't see a lion killing an eating herbivores.... 

Like I said, it's just a rumour.

As for sequels, I think while it is a little to early to be thinking about that, if they do sequels I expect a completely different story to the direct-to-video sequel of the original film.

1 hour ago, Gistech said:

I'm hearing a rumour that Scar won't be Mufasa's brother in this,

The Jungle Book made changes to the story (most of which served the film handsomely, I thought) so it figures that the same would apply to The Lion King.

On the face of it, making the two unrelated would take some of the tension out of it, but I'm certainly willing to give it a chance.

Scar needs to be related to Simba! 

At the climax, after admitting that he killed Mufasa, when he realizes Simba is ready to kill him, he begs for his life I AM FAM-I-LY before throwing the hyenas under the bus. If he's not family, he cannot appeal to Simba for mercy. 

It depends entirely on what they've changed. Yes, 'just' changing Scar's relation would mean scenes that were in the 1994 film wouldn't work.

But again: this is all just a rumour.

The official synopsis:

“Director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his. The all-star cast includes Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon. Utilizing pioneering filmmaking techniques to bring treasured characters to life in a whole new way, Disney’s “The Lion King” roars into theaters on July 19, 2019.”

Scar is Mufasa’s brother.

I thought The Jungle Book was really good. I have high hopes for this upcoming adaptation of The Lion King. While it cannot top the original for many obvious reasons, my hope is that it will honor the original while also having some elements in it that allow it to be distinguishable and its own thing, maybe combining elements from the original and the Broadway musical for instance. Visually, this film is very impressive and mind-blowing. I hope to see this in IMAX.

1 hour ago, JohnnyD said:

Visually, this film is very impressive and mind-blowing. I hope to see this in IMAX.

What's the point? Isn't it rendered at 4K?

A real IMAX contact print is something like 6.5.

On 4/10/2019 at 10:24 AM, Gistech said:

I wouldn't say bad, but I'm hoping that the hokey line delivery in places is fixed. The reason Jeremy Irons isn't doing it because he didn't want to do it.

Nope, Disney and Jon Favreau didn't ask him back.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a849114/the-lion-king-jeremy-irons-grumbles-disney-live-action-remake/

A missed opportunity.

3 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Nope, Disney and Jon Favreau didn't ask him back.

https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a849114/the-lion-king-jeremy-irons-grumbles-disney-live-action-remake/

A missed opportunity.

Did not know that, and it does surprise me if he was willing. I'd heard otherwise, but perhaps that was with regards to spinoffs as opposed to movie projects.

TBH, given the rest of the casting, it makes a bit of sense as to why they wouldn't ask him back this time, though I will wonder why they didn't at least offer him the role or consider him (perhaps the aforementioned reluctance to do Scar in spinoffs contributed?)

• 2 weeks later...

Would have some kind of odd respect for HZ if he threw out all his music from the original and scored this film like Dunkirk or any of his other projects over the last decade.

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Would have some kind of odd respect for HZ if he threw out all his music from the original and scored this film like Dunkirk or any of his other projects over the last decade.

That’s as likely as having a thoughtful conversation in the Star Wars disenchantment thread, though. 😛

Making money is just one priority for people making/release a movie.  For some stakeholders it's the most important, but for others it might be the 2nd most important priority.  It's always high up there though.

This, Aladdin, and Pokemon are films I would rather have red hot nails shoved in my eyes rather than seeing these. 

What the fuck is peoples problem with the idea of a movie making money? Do those who think that feel that making money is a sell out. Do people seeing and enjoying a movie mean its playing to the masses so it can't  be worth. Is it the same ole popular cant be a quality movie?