The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

• 4 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jay said:

A notable absence :(

How about tracks 4 and 16 being the same thing?

One will be the solo piano version and the other will be the orchestra version. There were two on the OST.

But, yes, it's weird! JW must be really proud of it, especially given that he skipped the other two suite movements! 

According to the Amazon listing, the total running time is 233 minutes.  Since the first two volumes total 134 minutes, that means there's 99 minutes of new material here

LOL Sony loves the word "Ultimate" :)

There are indeed two different concert versions of "With Malice Toward None"--the first one features prominent strings, while the other is for trumpet solo and orchestra.

2 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

LOL Sony loves the word "Ultimate" :)

There are indeed two different concert versions of "With Malice Toward None"--the first one features prominent strings, while the other is for trumpet solo and orchestra.

Oh. Well, there's also a solo piano rendition on the OST! 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I wonder if the 4 disc bundle is the only way Sony will sell this?

Probably. :(

All I care about is the new CD and the DVD! (assuming that's what it is)

Maybe there will be a separate digital release though! 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

Here is a link to a 4CD set that bundles this CD with the original 2 Volumes and something called "Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues" - perhaps a DVD?

A DVD/BD of all of the raw film/video footage that Spielberg shot during the recording sessions!! (As if THAT would ever happen...)

2 minutes ago, thx99 said:

A DVD/BD of all of the raw film/video footage that Spielberg shot during the recording sessions!! (As if THAT would ever happen...)

Well, it might contain at least some new footage! Which would be awesome.

Might the disc 4 of the set be some kind of interview/documentary of Steven and John talking about their collaboration?

Also I very much afraid Sony is forcing us to re-buy the previous discs, a bit like with the Music of America 3 disc set that had the Memoirs of a Geisha Suite for Cello and Orchestra and Air and Simple Gifts but mostly featured old recordings from the Sony compilations (unless you wanted to buy the 90 disc Yo-Yo Ma boxed set which also had it).

Just now, Incanus said:

Might the disc 4 of the set be some kind of interview/documentary of Steven and John talking about their collaboration?

That's what I'm thinking. Interviews with sessions footage sprinkled in. 

31 minutes ago, Jay said:

I asssume this will be released on its own without forcing us to rebuy the original 2 volumes as well, but you never know with Sony Classical...

I'm sure the sound quality will be superior. I think our old 1991 and 1995 CDs desperately needed a new fresh remasterized HD release.

If I remember well, those old CDs had a very low playback volume.

Anyway, I think the majority of CDs made before 2000 needs to be bought again when they are newly remasterized. You don't even have to think: you buy again.

3 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I just hope Disc 3 is all new recordings and none of the tracks are reprised from the various OSTs.

Ditto.

Both War Horse and Tintin made appearance on the A Tribute to John Williams compilation released for his 80th birthday. But the Duel track title suggest they re-recorded Adventure Continues.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

2 minutes ago, Will said:

That's what I'm thinking. Interviews with sessions footage sprinkled in. 

Yeah, if it is a video disc of some sort, it most likely will be something along these lines.  Hopefully, it will have new sessions footage than what we've already been treated to in bonus features.

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I'm sure the sound quality will be superior. I think our old 1991 and 1995 CDs desperately needed a new fresh remasterized release.

If I remember well, thos old CDs have a very low playback volume.

Yes, I seem to recall there were mastered at a very low level.  Lots of the Sony discs of that era were, I believe.

I hope the 

4 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

I hope one of the two Lincoln pieces is gonna be this version:

I hope the other version is the string orchestra version which has been performed at least by the Young Musicians Foundation Debut Orchestra.

5 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Both War Horse and Tintin made appearance on the A Tribute to John Williams compilation released for his 80th birthday. But the Duel track title suggest they re-recorded Adventure Continues.

I have it on good authority that music from Tintin was newly-recorded at this session.

1 minute ago, thx99 said:

I have it on good authority that music from Tintin was newly-recorded at this session.

Great! I readily assumed that all the selections on the 3rd disc are new anyway. Although it is Sony we are talking about. :P 

Just now, Jay said:

The entire thing is new recordings and not OST material

My Sony rep just confirmed that the 4 disc version is the only version planned to be sold at this time.

Great! This is ONLY the second time I buy the first two discs.

Thanks for the Info Jay.

Double dipping on the way!

Shame about irina's theme :(. I could kive without malice towards none...twice.

I hope that when Williams retires, they do not make a 5CD set and make us buy the whole thing...again.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

For a fledgling John Williams fan this new set will be a great sampler of the whole Spielberg/Williams collaboration.

That is very true!

Just now, Jay said:

That is very true!

With all these recent expansions (thank God-a.k.a. MM) i wish I was a fledging JWFan so i could invest all the money only in ultimate Williams releases... :(

Dear JWfans, please consider to take out a second mortgage on your house. 2017 is a Star Wars year... and it's only the beginning!

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So indeed "The Lost World", "A.I. Artificial Intelligence" and "War of the Worlds" are the ones they haven't revisited yet :(

Might be that Williams feels TLW and A.I. have had their limelight with their extensive complete releases.

Plus there is only limited space on a single disc after all.

Yup! Certainly there is an embarrassment of riches when it comes to great cues to re-record from Spielberg/Williams collaborations.

While I'm as excited as a little girl on his first school day, some are complaining about the content of the new album... Can you believe it.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

While i'm as excited as a little gitl on his first school day, some are complaining about the content of the new album... Can you believe it.

What is this gitl?

And we are really excited! The selection on the release looks great!

I've been a bad boy and haven't actually ever listened to the 3 part CMIYC suite, so I'm looking forward to hearing that here!

And of course, finally a studio recording of the great 2008 Marion's Theme arrangement after 9 long years!

The Escapades is a great suite and if they recorded with Dan Higgins, the original saxophonist from the OST recording, it will no doubt be great.

And yes Marion's Theme! Finally!

43 minutes ago, Jay said:

I wish they had recorded enough arrangements to make Volume 3 be 2 discs.

In addition to what they did record, they could have also recorded:

• Abandoned in the Woods from ET
  • Stargazers from ET
  • The Lost World from The Lost World
  • Where Dreams Are Born from AI
  • Blue Fairy Theme from AI
  • Abandoned in the Woods from AI
  • Sean's Theme from Minority Report
  • Jazz Autographs from The Terminal
  • Avner's Theme from Munich
  • Irina's theme from Indy 4
  • Call of the Crystal from Indy 4