The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I got your mum right!

Your mother should have swallowed you, likes she loves to do! World would have been a much better place. 

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Jesus I think we disagree on everything.  It's one of my favorite Spielberg movies now.  Brilliant performances from both Hanks and Rylance.  You're wrong!  Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong about everything.

Whatever. 

I loved Munich, Saving Private Ryan, even Lincoln.

Bridge of Spies, not so much.

That's crazy to me, especially if you love those movies (which are all 3 amazing).  In terms of dialogue, Bridge of Spies has a better script than any of them (which I guess can be attributed to the Coen brothers maybe?).

I think The BFG is basically just fine.  It's mostly light and fun but ultimately forgettable.  I do enjoy Rylance's mocap performance and his silly dialogue (mostly straight from Dahl).  It's definitely not some trainwreck disaster.  It's unambitious and inoffensive.

Shorter version: meh!

:) 

Well, yeah, I guess the movie itself is okay... It is what it is, a fantasy movie for kids. It's just that I'm not the target audience, meaning I would never have watched it if it weren't for Spielberg's and Williams's involvement. 

So I sat through it, trying to focus on it and get into it, and mostly unable to. I just listened to the music whenever it came on, thinking about something else. :D

The music fits the movie perfectly: light and fun!

For some reason, I've always thought since first hearing that the opening performance of the main melody in the suite would work really well blasting over the speaker system in the Fantasyland part of Disney theme parks.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Am I missing something? I have the first one (which, according to amazon, is to be released tomorrow, even though I bought it in 1992!). I have never heard of the second one. Would some kind soul, please post the cover?

R-1947846-1255119905.jpeg.jpg

Not called Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol. 2, it's just effectively what it is.

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Am I missing something? I have the first one (which, according to amazon, is to be released tomorrow, even though I bought it in 1992!). I have never heard of the second one. Would some kind soul, please post the cover?

Volume 1 came out in 1991 and is called "The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration: John Williams Conducts His Classic Scores For the Films of Steven Spielberg" and features music from their first 10 feature films

s-l1000.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00000271M

Volume 2 came out in 1995 and is called "Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores" and features music from collaborations 2-6, 8, 11-13.

500x500.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00138KKYO/

The 5 piece Hook suite on that release is essential!

The new 4CD set coming out from Sony on March 3rd contains volume 1 on CD1, volume 2 on CD2, the ALL NEW Volume 3 on CD3, and a DVD on disc 4.  The track list is posted here, and we don't have the cover or a press release yet - nor do we even know what the "true name" of the 3rd volume is, since all we know is that the 4 disc bundle is called "John Williams & Steven Spielberg: The Ultimate Collection".

47 minutes ago, Jay said:

I like that track!

I would not be surprised if that is not Williams' favorite moment of his entire film score career.  The music becomes the story at that moment.  

4 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Bizarre? Now you've got me curious!

You've never heard the Williams on Williams CD?

18 minutes ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

Bizarre? Now you've got me curious!

It features a synth-heavy interlude. I'm not saying that it jars with what's already written (in some ways, it makes it seem even more otherworldly) but, to quote Dietrich "are you sure it's necessary?".

I have; I'm just curious which track you mean and what makes it bizarre.

Or do you mean the "Dialogue" track? Out of context, that one does indeed sound pretty weird... :P

Checked the track list again and indeed that's the one.

I hadn't listened to that CD as-is in forever and couldn't remember what was on there.

Took all such tracks and put them together in my own compilation instead...

The WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS album is one of my dearest soundtrack posessions. I believe I've related the story about my acquisition of this before (not terribly exciting, but one that stuck!).

15 hours ago, Richard said:

Ah! Thanks, guys. Actually, I have both :lol:

WOW has that bizzare CE3K track.

The piece was reworked and rearranged for synth by renowned pianist/keyboardist Ralph Grierson (session piano player in E.T. and zillion other film scores: http://www.lastudiomusicians.info/ralphgrierson.htm).

18 hours ago, Will said:

There was actually speculation that Overture would play over that logo. But that didn't happen. :(

I was staggered that wasn't used for the Disney logo, it syncs up perfectly! The orchestration lines up with the tilt down from the stars, the reveal of the flag and fireworks, and the warm orchestral swell at 0:24 occurs exactly when the Disney logo appears.

Can't help but wonder if Williams wrote it for the Disney logo but they changed their minds.

14 hours ago, Thor said:

The WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS album is one of my dearest soundtrack posessions. I believe I've related the story about my acquisition of this before (not terribly exciting, but one that stuck!).

The Barrel Chase  and The Basket Chase cues some of my favourite performances/recordings on this set.

Tintin starts with 3-4 companies logos, without sound.

It's weird and it irks me a lot.

It would be nice to hear a logo with new Williams music composed for it (last time was the dreamworks logo...)

I just checked the 4 company logos at the start of The BFG and Williams' music syncs up the whole way through! From all the Disney logo sync points, to punctuating logos fading off, to a flute cadenza timed exactly as the stone skips across the water in the Walden Media logo! It's an astonishing coincidence if unintentional.

@crumbs

Oh wow, I never bothered checking them against one another, but I'll do so when I get home. Your post is very intriguing! 

I'm guessing though that you might be looking at an amateur compilation of the logos and not the exact film version? 

Says it was taken from The BFG and published at the end of October (I think around the time the movie became... available...)

Anyway, bit off topic, might be better discussing in the BFG thread.

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

I just checked the 4 company logos at the start of The BFG and Williams' music syncs up the whole way through! From all the Disney logo sync points, to punctuating logos fading off, to a flute cadenza timed exactly as the stone skips across the water in the Walden Media logo! It's an astonishing coincidence if unintentional.

Woah!

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

Says it was taken from The BFG and published at the end of October (I think around the time the movie became... available...)

Anyway, bit off topic, might be better discussing in the BFG thread.

Ok, then, wow, can't wait to hear for myself later. This is one of those wonderful discoveries that almost makes your jaw drop.

29 minutes ago, Richard said:

Actually, it's "Can you read, moron?", 

either that, or

"Can you not read, moron?".

Great comeback LOL.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

But the film does not have the disney logo, think. Maybe it was dropped, and that's why overture was not used.

IIRC it does indeed. But I'll check again when I get home.

On 10/01/2017 at 10:23 AM, Jay said:

I wonder if the original 2 volumes have been "remastered"

If they aren't, I will be holding off until Vol. 3 is available separately. The lack of selections from The Lost World, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, War of the Worlds, and A Timeless Call is disappointing, to say the least. Plus, including just one movement from An Unfinished Journey is... strange. As others have noted, many more superb pieces could have - or should have - been included in this "Ultimate" Spielberg/Williams release.

My theory is that Williams and Sony had originally planned to record two albums-worth of material... but eventually opted to reduce the recording sessions - or omit some of the recordings - to fit on a single additional CD. Then to fill the spot where "Vol. 4" would have been, a short DVD was thrown-together. I supposed it's possible the musical contents of the CDs will also be on the DVD, but I wouldn't bet on it.

21 minutes ago, mattmane said:

If they aren't, I will be holding off until Vol. 3 is available separately. The lack of selections from The Lost World, A.I. Artificial Intelligence, War of the Worlds, and A Timeless Call is disappointing, to say the least. Plus, including just one movement from An Unfinished Journey is... strange. As others have noted, many more superb pieces could have - or should have - been included in this "Ultimate" Spielberg/Williams release.

My theory is that Williams and Sony had originally planned to record two albums-worth of material... but eventually opted to reduce the recording sessions - or omit some of the recordings - to fit on a single additional CD. Then to fill the spot where "Vol. 4" would have been, a short DVD was thrown-together. I supposed it's possible the musical contents of the CDs will also be on the DVD, but I wouldn't bet on it.

In the absence of evidence, the simplest theory is that Williams always had planned on a one disc additional volume. 

Why is it strange to include only one movement from UJ?  He did not include all the movements from other suites like Lincoln or IJKCS. 

On 12.1.2017 at 1:43 PM, BloodBoal said:

"Yes, yes, Steven baby, this movie looks really, really interesting. I can't wait to write the score for it! But oh... Ouch! My back! My poor back! It hurts so much... I'm afraid I won't be able to compose the music... I'm so sorry... You know, my poor back..."

"...ooh, my heart. I think I need a pacemaker, too.".

On 2017-01-10 at 0:29 PM, TownerFan said:

I hope one of the two Lincoln pieces is gonna be this version:

That would be awesome if it was the version. And Chris Martin went to record it. Great player

47 minutes ago, ricsim88 said:

That would be awesome if it was the version. And Chris Martin went to record it. Great player

My guess is that this version will be one of the tracks, with the string version as the other. Both pieces are titles "With Malice Toward None" in the Hal Leonard Signature Edition published suite.

7 hours ago, KingPin said:

My guess is that this version will be one of the tracks, with the string version as the other. Both pieces are titles "With Malice Toward None" in the Hal Leonard Signature Edition published suite.

I was just at sheetmusicplus to check out the list of pieces in the Signature suite, and to order the trumpet/piano version. I totally agree with you. I bet both versions were recorded. Now I'll have to get the score. Are the other pieces from that suite the same as the OST recording?

2 hours ago, ricsim88 said:

I was just at sheetmusicplus to check out the list of pieces in the Signature suite, and to order the trumpet/piano version. I totally agree with you. I bet both versions were recorded. Now I'll have to get the score. Are the other pieces from that suite the same as the OST recording?

All have been modified from the original soundtrack recording in some way or another. The most different would have to be "Getting Out the Vote" because it has been expanded to full orchestra. The first half of "The People's House" is the same as the soundtrack for the most part, with a few minor differences, and then it segues into its second half, which is essentially the same as the second half of the Chris Martin performance. Three of the movements (the two I just mentioned plus the string version of "With Malice Toward None") can be heard in the video below.

Williams should have just entitled the full trumpet version of With Malice Toward None, The People's House (since that is half the track anyway) or such, then there would be less confusion. 

Crap just realised it doesn't contain that awesome orchestral version of Getting out the Vote, so that's 5 wanted pieces missing

The Lost World Concert Version

Irina's theme

A Timeless Call

Getting out the vote Concert Version

And also I wished for a standalone version of Sophie's theme from BFG

the only thing I'm getting I really wanted is Marion's Theme

Agreed about "Getting Out the Vote" and "Irina's Theme." I'm perfectly satisfied though with the Lost World concert version that was recorded by the Cincinnati Pops. My wish list would have also included:

The Sea Battle (Tintin)

Circus Train Chase (Last Crusade)

Escape from the City and Epilogue (War of the Worlds)

Stargazers (E.T.)

Sugarland Express Theme (flute version)

the thing is Tintin's theme and Monica's theme don't exist as concert versions yet . I'd be the first one wanting a proper Tintin's Heroic theme concert version

Sophie's theme is on the Hal Leonard suite

2 hours ago, KingPin said:

" I'm perfectly satisfied though with the Lost World concert version that was recorded by the Cincinnati Pops.)

I think it sounds like shit

4 minutes ago, king mark said:

the thing is Tintin's theme and Monica's theme don't exist as concert versions yet . I'd be the first one wanting a proper Tintin's Heroic theme concert version

Well, that's why I was hoping for it!

Btw, you'd be the second. I'm the first. ;)