The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

On a positive note, I'm very excited about these tracks...

5. The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin
6. A New Beginning from Minority Report
11. Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan
12. Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse

I hope these have been arranged by JW, and I hope Dartmoor is not the 1 minute track from the OS but a longer version which includes the friendship theme (or whatever the main theme is called!).

My guess is that Dartmoor is the concert suite JW prepared which does indeed contain the Dartmoor material from the opening of the film and a big statement of the friendship theme from the finale/end credits. I mean this one:

3 hours ago, king mark said:

Crap just realised it doesn't contain that awesome orchestral version of Getting out the Vote, so that's 5 wanted pieces missing

The Lost World Concert Version

Irina's theme

A Timeless Call

Getting out the vote Concert Version

And also I wished for a standalone version of Sophie's theme from BFG

the only thing I'm getting I really wanted is Marion's Theme

I love Getting out of The Vote concert version, especially when the string section runs with the main melody punctuated by brass. Such a fun and energetic piece. Given that he performed it at the 2013 Pops film night, I would have predicted that it would be included on this album, sadly not the case.

As a decent alternative, at least the broadcast of that 2013 concert contains that piece with no obnoxious audience noise.

As for a proper version of Tintin's theme, this release was probably our best chance of getting one, so sadly it may never happen now. I'm a big fan of that theme :(

3 hours ago, KingPin said:

I'm perfectly satisfied though with the Lost World concert version that was recorded by the Cincinnati Pops.

Agreed! That performance is particularly ferocious and energetic. A JW conducted version would of course be a nice treat though.

4 hours ago, king mark said:

Crap just realised it doesn't contain that awesome orchestral version of Getting out the Vote

Yeah, that one is stunningly good!! So optimistic and just plain wonderful. Wish it had been included as well. 

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

My guess is that Dartmoor is the concert suite JW prepared which does indeed contain the Dartmoor material from the opening of the film and a big statement of the friendship theme from the finale/end credits. I mean this one.

Yes, surely it will be that. Heard also here:

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

On a positive note, I'm very excited about these tracks...

5. The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin
6. A New Beginning from Minority Report
11. Hymn to the Fallen from Saving Private Ryan
12. Dartmoor, 1912 from War Horse

I hope these have been arranged by JW, and I hope Dartmoor is not the 1 minute track from the OS but a longer version which includes the friendship theme (or whatever the main theme is called!).

Given how many times he has performed Tintin and HttF in concert, I doubt he has newly arranged either piece.  It will be nice to have a definitive Dartmoor.  MR might be a new concert piece. 

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

KM is first....always!

That's what she said.

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Can we at least wait till the darn thing is out?

That's what... never mind.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

My guess is that Dartmoor is the concert suite JW prepared which does indeed contain the Dartmoor material from the opening of the film and a big statement of the friendship theme from the finale/end credits. I mean this one:

Yes, that's what I am hoping for!! It'd be absolutely fantastic, hearing this performed by the BPO.

5 hours ago, Tom said:

Given how many times he has performed Tintin and HttF in concert, I doubt he has newly arranged either piece.  It will be nice to have a definitive Dartmoor.  MR might be a new concert piece. 

Well, I mean that I'm hoping these pieces are not identical with the versions found on on the OS albums!

I'm not familiar with all the arrangements he already did for the concerts, so I'd be a pleasant surprise either way (whether he already arranged them or arranged them specifically for this release).

23 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Yes, that's what I am hoping for!! It'd be absolutely fantastic, hearing this performed by the BPO.

There is a Lockhart-conducted BPO album coming, but this is different. It's performed by a freelance orchestra. You can hear the BPO play it in a radio broadcast though, as I posted above!

Just listened to it. Fantastic! 

A very minor thing, but JW adds a timpani roll at 4:02 in the concert version (it's missing in the OS version). I've always preferred for it not to be there.... 

This friendship theme (this one plays at the very end when the soldier returns home and salutes his father) is one of the very best things JW has written in the latter part of his career..... 

Listening to "A New Beginning." :music:

This is really one of the most ephemeral, lovely, haunting pieces JW has written.... It's heavenly, almost.

I hope the BPO version is more expanded than the OS version... Although even if it's not, it's great enough!

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Listening to "A New Beginning." :music:

This is really one of the most ephemeral, lovely, haunting pieces JW has written.... It's heavenly, almost.

I hope the BPO version is more expanded than the OS version... Although even if it's not, it's great enough!

LA musicians recorded the new CD, Josh, not the BPO. 

The only thing of interest is Marion's Theme, right? We have everything else recorded perfectly on fairly recent CDs. Talk about redundant.

9XZ7q9Q.gif

In an alternate universe, Williams could have recorded music from the E.T. Adventure, The Lost World concert theme or maybe some awesome Harry Potter Children's Suite-esque new versions. Not the same old shit.

All we know are track titles.  We don't NECESSARILY know what they contain; He could have made new arrangements for every single track for all we know.

And what does Harry Potter have to do with Steven Spielberg?

8 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Oh, Jay, I was saying new arrangements in that style, not Harry Potter music. I guarantee this is all the same as the OST versions, only with inferior performances.

It is probably at least partly the same people who recorded this that recorded most of the music found on those OSTs so I don't think the performances will be inferior. It will not be Orlando Pops Orchestra performing this stuff you know.

Most people I wager.

I would definitely like another Spielberg/Williams collaboration CD after this 3rd one to fill in some of the gaps this new disc will leave, like the Lost World, A.I. and personal favourite Irina's Theme from KotCS. But there is not space on one disc for everything and Williams recorded probably what he thought to be some of his best pieces from these scores for this new album. Which as we know differs somewhat from what his fans often think to be of greatest importance.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

But there is not space on one disc for everything and Williams recorded probably what he thought to be some of his best pieces from these scores for this new album. Which as we know differs somewhat from what his fans often think to be of greatest importance.

I think (maybe subconsciously, maybe not) Williams knows which pieces are really popular among his fans, but he deliberately recorded those which are not well known, so his fans would come to appreciate these works too....

But it's always a balancing act. Some really popular ones, mixed with some lesser known ones.

I think overall the 3rd Spielberg Williams Collaboration CD looks great! Sure, it could have been better, but if you're nitpicky, that's always the case. :)

I'm not very enthusiastic about this recording. The selection and its not the Boston orchestra. There is always some extra magic with the great orchestras( Ryan, Schindler & Lincoln) I have already almost every of them with (brilliant) LA players.

The New Beginning will be lovely, though.

Im definitely going to buy thisROTFLMAO

11 hours ago, Josh500 said:

First post says nothing about orchestra. 

On 9/30/2016 at 1:06 PM, The Psycho Pianist said:

LA.PNG

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Again, first post says nothing about an orchestra.

5 hours ago, hornist said:

Im definitely going to buy thisROTFLMAO

That's for sure! 

Thank God this isn't limited, though.... :P

Again, first post says nothing about an orchestra.

You're right, it doesn't - but they'd never fly the BPO to LA just to record this album.

Also, just realized it's been 100% confirmed anyway!

http://variety.com/2016/film/spotlight/fantastic-beasts-bfg-john-williams-1201930763/

"He praised the L.A. musicians as “world class” and was so inspired that he took the same ensemble over to UCLA’s Royce Hall a few months later and recorded an entire album of Spielberg movie themes, which Sony Classical will release next year."

Yea the early pages of this thread are filled with pictures of LA musicians recording the music, in LA :P

And I'm surprised you just realized it; That article is from December!

Really wish this has been performed by the BPO, though.

Dunno, seems like tradition.

20 minutes ago, Will said:

You're right, it doesn't - but they'd never fly the BPO to LA just to record this album.

I wonder why. The BPO even flew to Japan and gave several concerts... 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea the early pages of this thread are filled with pictures of LA musicians recording the music, in LA :P

And I'm surprised you just realized it; That article is from December!

Gotta admit, I didn't read the whole thread. I don't have the time to read every thread here.... 

Actually, I noticed what this was about around page 10 or so! And it blew my mind, so soon after JP collection! :lol:

On 1/16/2017 at 0:57 PM, Josh500 said:

The BPO even flew to Japan and gave several concerts... 

That's a tour. I think that's different. 

Really wish this has been performed by the BPO, though.

Dunno, seems like tradition.

So was sacrificing virgins to the gods.  We don't do that anymore. 

Scheduling could surely be one of the many reasons for not using the BPO/BSO. JW has also in the recent years been very supportive of the LA based musicians and this might be another show of confidence and appreciation for them.

I have nothing against the LA based musicians, but they are regularly employed for the OS scoring sessions anyway!

It'd be nice to hear different orchestras performing JW's works as well, is all.

6 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

You a Muslim? :D

A Seinfeld fan

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Scheduling could surely be one of the many reasons for not using the BPO/BSO. JW has also in the recent years been very supportive of the LA based musicians and this might be another show of confidence and appreciation for them.

I think too that Williams really tries to minimize travel.  I don't think the back issues are just an excuse.  It is much better for him to do whatever he can locally.