The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

Seems legit. Do you know more? What's the context of this reunion? Is it for a new JW album? Did JW conducted? Maybe it's for a third Spielberg-Williams collaboration album?!!! :w00t:

When the movie first came out, I liked the score.  However, I would have never thought it had the potential to become a signature-style work.  Evidently, given the multiple recordings by several top artists and frequent performances, it has become such.  Good for Williams. 

If a third Spielberg-Williams collaboration album is in preparation, I'm very excited, because I never imagined that JW would record another non-soundtrack album!!! The last one goes back to 2002, the one recorded with Yo-Yo Ma!

Let's dream a little bit...

The Lost World
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan
A.I.
Minority Report
Catch me if you can
The Terminal

War of the Worlds
Munich
Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
The Adventures of Tintin
War Horse
Lincoln
Bridge of Spies  (Oops) :lol:
The BFG

Very cool! I wonder if this will include the extended double bass coda in Reflections for Mike Valerio like it did in the reworked version heard on the LA Philharmonic recording in 2015.

Sweet! 

I had been considering not even opening this thread because I figured it was just some random orchestra under some random conductor making yet another recording of Escapades, but I'm glad I opened it because this is really exciting. 

Speaking of that suite, the Chicago Symphony will be performing it as part of a non-film music-focused concert (*gasp, we must boycott them to stop them playing such film music trash*) next year:

http://cso.org/ticketsandevents/production-details-2016-17/chicago-symphony-orchestra/malkki-marsalis-williams/?perfNo=7892

I probably won't go even though I live not too far away from Symphony Center. One JW selection, when he's not actually the one conducting, isn't really enough to justify the expense, I'm thinking. Live to projection concerts give you much more for your money.

"Hymn to the Fallen"

"The Lost World"

"Dry Your Tears Afrika"

"Where Dreams Are Born"

"Escapades (Catch Me If You Can)"

"A New Beginning"

"The Tale of Viktor Navorski"

"The Adventures of Mutt"

"The Homecoming"

"The People's House"

And hopefully several others!

I really hope this means the new BFG concert suite gets a really nice recording!  I'm so excited if a "Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol. 3" happens!

28 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Would adore a concert suite of War Horse themes.  Please, please, please!

I assume you know this but in case you don't...

A War Horse suite already exists. It just hasn't received a proper recording yet.

This is wonderful news--and a longtime expected one :) I guess if this will be indeed a Volume 3 of the previous Spielberg/Williams Collaboration albums (including only the pieces  from 1997-2016) or if it will inevitably include a few classics like E.T., Jaws, CE3K, Schindler's List and Raiders as well

Very excited he's working with Grubinger, one of the finest percussionist in the world... maybe this leads to a collaboration resulting on a Percussion Concerto, something I've been dreaming about since the first time I saw a picture of the two together at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago.

@Will Have no idea how expensive it would be for you to attend the CSO concert featuring Escapades. But if I did live nearby, I'm sure I wouldn't miss. This one ranks among my favorite Williams works, and to have Marsalis performing it just in front of me, along with one of the finest orchestras, would be awesome. I would certainly prefer it to a live to film projection, a concept I really don't care about.

@Bespin I'm sure you know Memoirs of a Geisha isn't a Spielberg movie. Also, you missed War of the Worlds, which I sincerely hope is included on an upcoming recording (another of my favorites from recent years).

As our member Stempel reports on FB, there are ongoing recordings by Williams of what seems to be another roundup of Spielberg/Williams scores on a compilation (several musicians reported this). There were as of yet pieces of CMIYC and SPR recorded. Stay put and see what comes of it.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Considering the number of movies these two gentlemen have made after 1994 there is a lot material to choose from to re-record. My personal favourites would be the concert version of Irina's Theme (they have Dan Higgins already playing for the CMIYC recording!) and Marion's theme. But the list for favourites I would love to hear re-recorded from Spielberg/Williams films is quite a long one.

Yes, Irina's Theme would be a must. It would be nice to have the whole "Adventures of Indiana Jonese" suite recorded. When one think of it, there would probably be enough material to fill a two disc set.

Oh, and maybe he would even record the theme from Amazing Stories, that reportedly both Williams and Spielberg forgot about when doing the first album back in 1990.

57 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Yes, Irina's Theme would be a must. It would be nice to have the whole "Adventures of Indiana Jonese" suite recorded. When one think of it, there would probably be enough material to fill a two disc set.

I was about to write the same thing :)

I hope this will indeed be a Volume 3, but I think that probably they will end up doing brand new re-recordings of a couple of all-time classics, like The Raiders' March, The Flying Theme from E.T. or the theme from Schindler's List. Who knows, perhaps Williams is preparing brand new concert arrangements properly for this album. 

Anyway, on to speculation, friends. My own ideal tracklist would be something like this:

. Theme from The Lost World (concert version)

. Dry Your Tears, Afrika from Amistad

. Hymn to the Fallen from SPR

. Stargazers (aka E.T. and Me, for harp) from E.T.

. Suite from the Indiana Jones films:

-Marion's Theme (concert version) from Raiders of the Lost Ark

-Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra (new version) from Last Crusade

-Irina's Theme

-The Adventures of Mutt

. The Reunion from A.I.

. Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from CMIYC

. Viktor's Tale from The Terminal

. Suite from War of the Worlds:

-Escape from the City

-Epilogue

. The Duel from The Adventures of Tintin

. Dartmoor, 1912 (concert suite) from War Horse

. Suite from Lincoln:

-The People's House

-Getting Out the Vote

-Elegy

-With Malice Toward None

. Suite from The BFG

7 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Very excited he's working with Grubinger, one of the finest percussionist in the world... maybe this leads to a collaboration resulting on a Percussion Concerto, something I've been dreaming about since the first time I saw a picture of the two together at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago.

Exactly, my friend. This is the visual confirmation that Williams and Grubinger have kept in touch all this time and probably are working on something, either a percussion concerto or marimba concerto, who knows what. Why else would one of the best percussionists in the world fly to LA to record a less-than-virtuoso part from Escapades instead of calling any other LA-based musician? And if the concerto is already written, what's stopping them from recording it now? Just speculating :D

So it could contain suites/themes from

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan

A. I.

Minority Report

CMIYC

Terminal

WOTW

Munich

INDY IV

War Horse

Tintin

Lincoln

BFG

Most of them have satisfactory suites already so newly arranged music from Indy IV, AI and WOTW would get my attention. But maybe he really did an overhaul all except CMIYC which had a suite already.

1 hour ago, scissorhands said:

Exactly, my friend. This is the visual confirmation that Williams and Grubinger have kept in touch all this time and probably are working on something, either a percussion concerto or marimba concerto, who knows what. Why else would one of the best percussionists in the world fly to LA to record a less-than-virtuoso part from Escapades instead of calling any other LA-based musician? And if the concerto is already written, what's stopping them from recording it now? Just speculating :D

Also remember that in this Variety article, Jon Burlingame revealed that Williams was thinking about composing a concert work in the summer for "one of his favorite European artists" so it's very possible that he was talking about Grubinger there.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

But maybe he really did an overhaul all except CMIYC which had a suite already.

I hope so! Re-recordings are exciting but it would be a real treat to have newly composed/adapted material. 

32 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Also remember that in this Variety article, Jon Burlingame revealed that Williams was thinking about composing a concert work in the summer for "one of his favorite European artists" so it's very possible that he was talking about Grubinger there.

Woah! 

When do we think this album will release? It should be out by Christmas-time, right?

1 hour ago, publicist said:

So it could contain suites/themes from

The Lost World: Jurassic Park
Amistad
Saving Private Ryan

A. I.

Minority Report

CMIYC

Terminal

WOTW

Munich

INDY IV

War Horse

Tintin

Lincoln

BFG

Most of them have satisfactory suites already so newly arranged music from Indy IV, AI and WOTW would get my attention. But maybe he really did an overhaul all except CMIYC which had a suite already.

Why do these lists (on the other thread as well) miss The American Journey--an amazing and extensive JW/SS collaboration?  I would love the whole concert suite, but that seems unrealistic.  Maybe the concert version of Civil Rights. 

well it's been recorded by Kunzel but not very well

there's a few things I DON'T want on this c.d., like Hymn to the Fallen or Adventures of Mutt( in favor of Irina's theme or Marion's theme)

30 minutes ago, Will said:

Woah! 

When do we think this album will release? It should be out by Christmas-time, right?

February around Williams' Birthday? 

21 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

"Hymn to the Fallen"

"The Lost World"

"Dry Your Tears Afrika"

"Where Dreams Are Born"

"Escapades (Catch Me If You Can)"

"A New Beginning"

"The Tale of Viktor Navorski"

"The Adventures of Mutt"

"The Homecoming"

"The People's House"

And hopefully several others!

I really hope this means the new BFG concert suite gets a really nice recording!  I'm so excited if a "Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Vol. 3" happens!

Excellent list! 

Here's mine... 

"Abandoned in the Woods"

"Hymn to the Fallen"

"The Jungle Chase" (expanded concert version :P

"Minority Report"

"The Lost World"

"Sarah's Rescue"

"Thoughts of Home"

"The Chairman's Waltz"

"The Adventures of Tintin"

"Catch me if you Can"

"The BFG Suite"

"War Horse Suite"

"A New Beginning" 

1 hour ago, scissorhands said:

Now that I think about it, Williams said in an interview with Jon Burlingame a few months ago that he was writing a piece for one of his "favourite European artists". It might be very well he was referring to Grubinger.