The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Just my two cents, but I think these Spielberg compilations take precedence if you don't own them. The first two volumes are foundational releases for how I get pulled deeper and deeper into Williams obsession.  They're fantastic performances and cover such a wide range of films.  Besides there's a bonus DVD!

Of course, those first two volumes are available on YouTube and Spotify. And since they're old there's no major desire for me to own them in physical form.

Now, the new CD (and DVD, I suppose) would be really cool to own physically. However, might still ultimately be better to get them digitally individually if possible (although I have a feeling the DVD might be exclusive to the physical product). 

@Jay, do you happen to know if the DVD is actually a Blu-ray, or if it's really a standard DVD? I don't have a BR player. 

Perhaps we should be slightly annoyed with Sony, but if they offered this cd with the dvd (assuming it is worth having) for $30 alone would there be this much complaining? I remember when the Music of America set was released, it was under $20, and had the full amazing cello suite from Memoirs, as well as Air and Simple gifts, neither of which we released previously in an easy to get way (just as part of the massive Ma set).  So, $20 for 40 minutes of new music, good, I will take it.  If they want to throw in stuff I already have, fine. 

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

I read the previous posts of this thread and I really understand why no one on this forum seems to have privileged contacts with people working at Sony or with JW entourage!

Says you! ;)

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

Perhaps we should be slightly annoyed with Sony, but if they offered this cd with the dvd (assuming it is worth having) for $30 alone would there be this much complaining?

LOL good point. 

1 hour ago, king mark said:

Almost every Sony Classical JW release has had questionable decisions or something off putting about them.

whether it's screwing up the TPM UE, adding 1 new recording to a 10 c.d. compilation of old stuff, or not releasing music they do have  (proper releases of the the SW prequels and OT), we've been frustrated by them for years

Some, but hardly most.

I mean, the first two Spielberg/Williams Collaboration CDs are awesome, the 2 dozen or so BPO albums released by Sony Classical, the 3 Stars Wars prequel scores, Memoirs of a Geisha, etc.

1 hour ago, Will said:

@Jay, do you happen to know if the DVD is actually a Blu-ray, or if it's really a standard DVD? I don't have a BR player. 

From what I understand it is a DVD.

Do the full timings of the set indicate how much is on disc 3 & 4? 

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I'm starting to hope that "Steven Spielberg & John Williams: The Adventure Continues" is a bonus CD, with a  bunch of other tracks, including pieces from A.I. and TLW and WotW! :P

May your mouth be full of sugar and candy! That would be greaaat! ;)

11 minutes ago, azahid said:

Do the full timings of the set indicate how much is on disc 3 & 4? 

13 hours ago, Jay said:

According to the Amazon listing, the total running time is 233 minutes.  Since the first two volumes total 134 minutes, that means there's 99 minutes of new material here

5 hours ago, king mark said:

4 disk Set and we can't get the new recordings alone?

Since they can't get us with Star Wars, it should be called:

The Final Sony Classical John Williams Fan Screw Over Compilation

too bad no Irina's Theme and Lost World Concert Version .At least there's Marion's Theme

I remember writing an email to JW's agency requesting them to include newer items for the album. Here is what i wrote:

"Although we have yet to hear the official news but  I'am absolutely thrilled to learn that recordings sessions for a new Spielberg/Williams or Sony classical is taking place. I saw some wonderful pics showcasing CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, SAVING PRIVATE RYAN and AMISTAD recording sessions with Spielberg also in attendance..

I just thought I hope this time Williams will be able to add the rousing 'Main Title Theme' from AMAZING STORIES which was missed out in the previous session (Williams himself acknowledged this an old interview, if I remember correctly)

Also I would ecstatic if the concert version of  the cue 'Young Indy's First Adventure'  from INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE  be also reprised as its is not available anywhere else and I know Mr. Williams has performed it many times sync to the film in the the concert halls.

Also Stargazers' is another beautiful theme variation of 'ET & Me cue from ET. THE EXTRA TERRESTRIAL be reprised as Williams wrote this as a special tribute for the movie. 
Also concert versions of  Marion's Theme from RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and Irina's Theme from KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL Skull would make great premieres.
These are just suggestion and I hope that some of these are being addressed if not all.  Im over the moon that this project is taking place. And absolutely thrilled and excited.
All the best to you and Maestro Williams."

Oh well! At least we got Marion's Theme,!

Well, his concert version of the train scene has a different ending.

Williams likes that one a lot. He talked about it on the old DVD interview and he's incorporated it into several concerts.

2 minutes ago, king mark said:

why would you want re-recordings of  the Amazing Stories Main Titles and the Indy's First Adventure cue?

Amazing Stories- Williams terrific fanfare music theme was missed out on the first 2 Sony Albums-Williams forgot to include it in the roster! 

And Young Indy's First Adventure concert version is an amazing piece that he used a number of times to demonstrate the live sync recording of the music to film. Its a fav of mine. It deserves a studio recording!

20 minutes ago, Rose Dawson said:

Well, his concert version of the train scene has a different ending.

Williams likes that one a lot. He talked about it on the old DVD interview and he's incorporated it into several concerts.

And..Irina's Theme -Concert version has only been performed by Williams in concerts and also Marion's Theme (which made it to this album fortunately)

Currently listening to the first SWC CD, and I gotta say, this is perfection. Only 13 tracks, but every one of them is perfect! 

Especially love the versions found on this album of Exsultate Justi, Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, Adventure on Earth, Jaws Main Theme, and Cage Fugue.

The second one was also good, but not as good as the first one, IMO.

54 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Currently listening to the first SWC CD, and I gotta say, this is perfection. Only 13 tracks, but every one of them is perfect! 

Especially love the versions found on this album of Exsultate Justi, Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra, Adventure on Earth, Jaws Main Theme, and Cage Fugue.

The second one was also good, but not as good as the first one, IMO.

The first album is terrific. And I did  enjoy the selections from the 2nd outing if only marred by a few slow tempos. I loved the Basket Chase!  

As for Exultate Justi from EMPIRE OF THE SUN using a full Adult choir (male and female) is not my favourite performance, i prefer the all etheral female and children's choirs. (So happy for the film version on the LLL release. Thank Goodness)

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Perhaps we should be slightly annoyed with Sony, but if they offered this cd with the dvd (assuming it is worth having) for $30 alone would there be this much complaining? I remember when the Music of America set was released, it was under $20, and had the full amazing cello suite from Memoirs, as well as Air and Simple gifts, neither of which we released previously in an easy to get way (just as part of the massive Ma set).  So, $20 for 40 minutes of new music, good, I will take it.  If they want to throw in stuff I already have, fine. 

Well, "Air and Simple Gifts" was available as a digital single shortly after the inauguration back in '09. But perhaps you were talking about physical formats.

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, "Air and Simple Gifts" was available as a digital single shortly after the inauguration back in '09. But perhaps you were talking about physical formats.

Yeah some of us old fashioned folks still talk of CDs as the "definitive" release. It is physical after all. :lol:

4 hours ago, azahid said:

As for Exultate Justi from EMPIRE OF THE SUN using a full Adult choir (male and female) is not my favourite performance, i prefer the all etheral female and children's choirs. (So happy for the film version on the LLL release. Thank Goodness)

I like both versions, of course, but the SWC version is slightly superior in my opinion. It's like JW worked on it some more and really perfected it--which he of course did! :)

In the SWC version, the bridge played by the brass from 2:33 - 3:10 is so good, so touching and majestic and ecstatic, it actually brings tears to my eyes (or so it feels like). It reminds me of the bridge played by the brass in "Hymn to the Fallen." Again, the original version is slightly different and shorter, and not quite as effective, imo. But it's a matter taste, of course; like I said, I like both versions and both are fantastic, the SWC version seems--to me, at least--a bit more refined and powerful. 

24 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Looking forward to this release. Wonder when the Lockhart BPO album will hit?

Probably around JW's B-day, right?

Did we ever get any details on this? 

And it's probably going to be one of those BPO digital-only albums that drops with little-to-no fanfare.

Then again, this Sony CD appears to be dropping with no fanfare too.  Has Sony even put out a press release?  How did you even find out about the Amazon listing, @Jay?

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

And it's probably going to be one of those BPO digital-only albums that drops with little-to-no fanfare.

I hope so! Then I will definitely not have any urge to buy it and can save my money for the more important Sony.

24 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Then again, this Sony CD appears to be dropping with no fanfare too.  Has Sony even put out a press release?  How did you even find out about the Amazon listing, @Jay?

I'm sure they'll put out a press release later. It's early yet.

18 hours ago, Thor said:

I had forgotten that fact (I even bought it online at the time).  Oh well.  I was still quite happen with the memoirs suite.  I was lucky enough to hear him and Ma premiere it at Tanglewood.  I was quite happy with the release. 

10 hours ago, MrScratch said:

I bet we hear the Schindler's List joke again on that fourth disc.

Ha ha ha...they're all dead... ha ha ha...a good one John.

Maybe Spielberg will whistle the Raiders March again. And tell the story how it was his idea that Johnny use both melodies... One for the main, one for the bridge. :D

9 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

And Spielberg will tell his story how it was HIM that suggested Williams to Lucas for Star Wars... :lsvader:

Who knew that one day it would cost him a Williams score for Bridge of Spies!

I hate that movie!

Seriously. This might be my least favorite Spielberg movie ever. Actually I'm glad Williams didn't score it.

And I have an idea (maybe true, maybe not) that it wasn't just a busy schedule why Williams declined to score it, he hated it too. He was just too polite to say so, of course. 

22 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

And I have an idea (maybe true, maybe not) that it wasn't just a busy schedule why Williams declined to score it, he hated it too. He was just too polite to say so, of course. 

What a load of entitled fanboy horse shit!

You hated a film, so Williams must have hated it too? So much he faked a heart condition to get out if it?

Seriously.

Can't you read, moron? 

I said MAYBE that's one reason why he didn't score it. I don't know. I'm just speculating. 

But yeah, I personally hated that movie.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

I hate that movie!

Seriously. This might be my least favorite Spielberg movie ever. Actually I'm glad Williams didn't score it.

Jesus I think we disagree on everything.  It's one of my favorite Spielberg movies now.  Brilliant performances from both Hanks and Rylance.  You're wrong!  Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong about everything.