The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Looks just like the CD set

But larger :)

13 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Whoa! Very cool. I'd be tempted, but I don't listen to these albums as often as many of his film scores.

I'll probably get it. It will come down to the selling price, but since I'm friends with the local distributor of Music on Vinyl and he always gets me some really nice discounts, I think I'm looking at this years Santa Claus present :D

They didn't give me a final value for it, as this was just announced and they still don't have the item on their system. They estimated based on other similar sets from "Music on Vinyl" they had on store. I'm not that optimistic though, as the 2-LP sets I got from that label had variable price tags, ranging for little more than 20 euros up to 30. So I wouldn't be too surprised if the final price is near the €90 (that for me, after some friendly discounts might come closer to the 70 euros price tag and make it a viable purchase for me).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Are you also a Wiliams vinyl completist, Miguel? 

I don't think I have a single Williams soundtrack on vinyl. Only LP-to-CD transfers.

I try to be... Though it all comes down to the price of those releases. The two recent Record Store Day singles (Lost in Space and Star Wars) were just too damn expansive for what they are. So I passed on those. But most of this LPs I've been able to grab for something like 20~25 euros (double LP sets, single sets I've bought them for under €20), so I get those when I can for what I find to be affordable.

As for being a vinyl nut-job, it's actually more about the ritual, the somewhat slow down process of getting all to work in order to listen to the music. Also the sound is definitely different, no better nor worst, just different -- more knowledgable people can discuss if it's better or not -- and in some recordings I do actually prefer that sound.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but why are we getting so many vinyls while they could also be giving us 5.1 mixes? (Or couldn't they?)

I guess that it depends on a number of factors:

1/ is the recording a multi track recording (of course that argument doesn't always hold a lot of H20, as there are a lot of software programmes which can convert both stereo, and mono, to 5.1)?

2/ are the multi track tapes still available? In, for example, the case of SUPERMAN, the music was mixed in 5.1 (or the equivalent of) for the cinema. Even THE TOWERING INFERNO had a showcase presentation in 6-track magnetic.

3/ what is the condition of the tapes, and how are they sourced? Would it be physically possible to transfer analogue to digital?

4/ is it worth it, commercially? It should be remembered that multi channel DVD-A, SACD, and Blu are, to this day, still considered niche markets.

Most people (myself included) have a two-channel system, and there's nothing with that, but, personally, I can't tell you how it feels to turn my 5.1 system up to 11, and stick on DANCE ON A VOLCANO in DTS! Geez! :)

I hope that this, at least in part, answers your question?

As stated above, there's no real market demand for 5.1 releases.

Vinyl, though, has seen a resurgance in sales, compared to - I'm assuming - dwindling sales for HD music.

"Give the people what they want." And that's what companies are doing.

I used to have a 5.1 system set up, and was able to play both DVD-Audio and SACD, but even as an audiophile, it was very rare I did so. It just took too much effort to listen to and appreciate the finer choices in mixing. You need to really actively listen for it to make a difference, cause if you don't - the 5.1 mix will be lost on you. Which I guess is why sales have been bad for music in such a format.

That's not even mentioning the format war between DVD-A and SACD that was supposed to launch HD music in the early 2000s. It was confusing and not user friendly (and then I guess Spotify showed up which was the opposite of those two things).

Much more easier (and cheaper) - with minimal loss of the "surround experience" - to put on a stereo recording and then have your receiver "spread out" the sound to your satellites around the room.

19 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'm still irritated this set completely ignored 3 scores, especially when TLW and AI are widely considered Williams' strongest scores in recent memory.

I asked about these with Jon Burlingame and he said along the lines sometimes we just have to do with what the composer essentialy prefers in terms of selection based on his approach to the whole project. He himself wanted A.I (ie. Burlingame)Lets hope in coming years we may even get a new session planned.

• 1 month later...

These are great to look at, but does anyone honestly think these sound better than disc? Whenever I listened to vinyl the crackling during quiet moments was so distracting. Or there would be extra hiss or scratching sounds during high trumpets / woodwinds.

I accept that some pop and rock recordings sound better with that gritty and edgy vinyl sound, bit orchestral recordings never did in my opinion. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone in the UK with the Sky Arts channel may be interested to know that The Adventure Continues documentary (presumably the same content as the DVD on the fourth disc of this set) will be shown tomorrow evening (Wednesday 27th December) at 8.45 p.m. and again on Friday at 6.45 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

Just managed to watch the documentary. It sends me to tears to hear the volume of work and to see the recording sessions of the Maestro conducting it all so enthusiastically and Spielberg still gleaming after all these decades, looking at Williams and filming him on the podium like one of us seeing him for the first time in person. Amazing.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2017 at 10:47 PM, Omen II said:

Anyone in the UK with the Sky Arts channel may be interested to know that The Adventure Continues documentary (presumably the same content as the DVD on the fourth disc of this set) will be shown tomorrow evening (Wednesday 27th December) at 8.45 p.m. and again on Friday at 6.45 p.m.

Oh damn I didn't see that this existed. I'm in the UK but I wonder is there any way to catch this now? Really want to watch it!

On 18/01/2018 at 2:46 PM, idril said:

Oh damn I didn't see that this existed. I'm in the UK but I wonder is there any way to catch this now? Really want to watch it!

@idril It will be shown again this Wednesday 24th January at 10 p.m. on the Sky Arts channel.  Set your reminder now! ⏰

On 10 April 2017 at 12:36 PM, Bespin said:

Thanks to a friend who helped me understanding the settings of the Compression tool in Audacity... The two first CD sounds now more "modern" and on the same level as the third one...

And in the meanwhile, I did the same with "The Planets" and "Pops Britannia" albums, because they are mastered at very low volume too (like some others Philips CD released at the time)!!!

Wow, I discover a lot more details and all the richness of these recordings, like if I was listening to them for the first time!

Bespin, that sounds like something I'd like to try. Would you mind posting a quick how-to if you have a chance? Many thanks.

Apologies if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but is the Japanese Blu-Spec CD/ DVD release contained in a jewel case? Also, is that the only individual release of Part III (other than the download)?

2 hours ago, rough cut said:

But why not just turn up the volume? It will reveal the same richness as the tool, without the loss of dynamic range.

Really great advice, I never thought about it. :sarcasm:

More seriously, try to take the songs from the 3 albums... compile them in a homemade playlist by chronological order and by movies... 

Then have fun with the "volume" button. :P

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

I’m sure it has its uses.

But why not just turn up the volume? It will reveal the same richness as the tool, without the loss of dynamic range.

Or perhaps one could reduce the average volume of Part III in Audacity or similar to better match Parts I-II.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:35 PM, JTWfan77 said:

Apologies if this has been answered earlier in the thread, but is the Japanese Blu-Spec CD/ DVD release contained in a jewel case? Also, is that the only individual release of Part III (other than the download)?

Yes, I picked this up at Tower Records in Osaka, and it's in a very solid jewel case with the black and white photo of Williams and Spielberg on the cover. It's perfect for anyone who already has the original releases of the first two albums.

I really got a kick out of seeing this CD out on display, and available to hear at one of the listening stations. I don't know if I ever shared a photo of the CDs sitting on the record store shelf, but I've been meaning to. The title was written in Japanese, so I couldn't tell for sure which number it was, but I put the headphones on and pressed Disc 3, and sure enough Mutt's theme started playing :music:  So cool!!

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0345.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Was listening to this again the other day...

Am I crazy, or did the bass player (Michael Valerio) throw in a deliberate reference to Beethoven's 9th during his long solo cadenza during the "Reflections" movement of Escapades?  Listen from 6:29 until 6:35....that sounds like an explicit reference to the recitative-like bass line that appears at the beginning of the fourth movement of the symphony.

Does anyone know if the bass cadenza was written out by Williams, or improvised by Valerio?  The Signature Edition of the Escapades score doesn't have a bass cadenza at all, but we know Williams frequently tinkers and rewrites his concert versions of concertos, so maybe he wrote it out?  This is the only version of Escapades that I own, so I can't check any of the others that have been made.

(It's entirely possible that I'm crazy, but now that I've heard it, I can't UN-hear it!)

Escapades with the bass candenza was first performed with Dudamel conducting the LA Philhamonic, and the recording is available in Blu-Ray and DVD.

I believe the resemblance to Beethoven's 9th has been pointed before.

On 1/22/2018 at 10:10 AM, Smeltington said:

Also of interest, on the classical floor of the HUGE Shibuya location of Tower Records, I found this display of John Williams related recordings.

IMG_3539.JPG

Reminds me of the good old days when we had music shops and Borders. It's where I got a lot of my original soundtrack CDs. In the mid-to-Iate-90s, it was like finding fucking treasure. Now, all you'll find is the latest SW OST after the movie comes out in flimsy packaging and used copies of Titanic for a dollar.

47 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Escapades with the bass candenza was first performed with Dudamel conducting the LA Philhamonic, and the recording is available in Blu-Ray and DVD.

I believe the resemblance to Beethoven's 9th has been pointed before.

I have that Blu-ray, I forgot Escapades was on it!  I'll have to check that one out too.  Thanks Miguel!

I went to Shibuya records in one of my video games (Digimon Cybersleuth)

Anyways I'm still miffed this c.d. doesn't  containThe Lost World theme. We'll never get an official Williams conducted version. There's a few recordings on compliation c.d.'s by other orchestras but it's nowhere near the (awful sounding bootleg) Williams conducted one from 1997 in Japan I think