The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

3 hours ago, King Mark said:

Anyways I'm still miffed this c.d. doesn't  containThe Lost World theme. We'll never get an official Williams conducted version. There's a few recordings on compliation c.d.'s by other orchestras but it's nowhere near the (awful sounding bootleg) Williams conducted one from 1997 in Japan I think

He also conducted it at his London concerts in 1998 with the LSO. The concert hall shook and I half expected a T-Rex to appear and eat everyone. 

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

I went to Shibuya records in one of my video games (Digimon Cybersleuth)

Anyways I'm still miffed this c.d. doesn't  containThe Lost World theme. We'll never get an official Williams conducted version. There's a few recordings on compliation c.d.'s by other orchestras but it's nowhere near the (awful sounding bootleg) Williams conducted one from 1997 in Japan I think

You probably mean London 1998. Williams last travel to Japan was in 1993. For the LSO 1998 concerts there is indeed a audience recording, made on good old analogue tape, that have been floating around since then.

15 hours ago, Matt S. said:

Was listening to this again the other day...

Am I crazy, or did the bass player (Michael Valerio) throw in a deliberate reference to Beethoven's 9th during his long solo cadenza during the "Reflections" movement of Escapades?  Listen from 6:29 until 6:35....that sounds like an explicit reference to the recitative-like bass line that appears at the beginning of the fourth movement of the symphony.

Does anyone know if the bass cadenza was written out by Williams, or improvised by Valerio?  The Signature Edition of the Escapades score doesn't have a bass cadenza at all, but we know Williams frequently tinkers and rewrites his concert versions of concertos, so maybe he wrote it out?  This is the only version of Escapades that I own, so I can't check any of the others that have been made.

(It's entirely possible that I'm crazy, but now that I've heard it, I can't UN-hear it!)

I think it's a very conscious reference. We still don't know if the whole bass cadenza is an improv by Valerio or if it was written out as such by JW. The current Signature Edition available on Hal Leonard is still the original version, but JW made several alterations to "Reflections" (especially in the harmony, now it's even more jazz-like) as one can hear in both the 2013 Dudamel concert and the 2017 Spielberg/Williams Vol.3 recording.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

I think it's a very conscious reference. We still don't know if the whole bass cadenza is an improv by Valerio or if it was written out as such by JW. The current Signature Edition available on Hal Leonard is still the original version, but JW made several alterations to "Reflections" (especially in the harmony, now it's even more jazz-like) as one can hear in both the 2013 Dudamel concert and the 2017 Spielberg/Williams Vol.3 recording.

If you remember Robert deMaine interview about performing the Williams' Cello Concerto, he mentioned that Williams didn't want him to go too freely in the cadenza, following what is on the paper. With that in thought, I would honestly assume that the Escapades bass cadenza was Williams work alone.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Can anyone elaborate how many other pieces were reocrded at the III album's sessions at Royce Hall and not included in this set.

rumors were that WAR OF THE WORLD & CLOSE ENCOUNTERS were recoerded.

For War of the Worlds-Iam hoping it was the Concert Arrangment of 'Escape from the City' which Williams also performed at a Concert in Boston (I think)

45 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Why would something from Close Encounters have been recorded? Was something not already covered on the Vol 1 release? 

Youre surprised too? So was Spielberg. 😂

6 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Alright! Okay!. There is at least ONE person on this tone deaf board whose opinion I can trust regarding sound quality!😁

More than one... when this came out, there were a lot of people who thought it sounded great.

47 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Why would something from Close Encounters have been recorded? Was something not already covered on the Vol 1 release? 

They finally identified the sixth note of the theme.

1 minute ago, Smeltington said:

More than one... when this came out, there were a lot of people who thought it sounded great.

It's the instrumental balance in some of the tracks that's the album's main problem.

4 minutes ago, Amer said:

Youre surprised too? So was Spielberg. 😂

Not sure I understand. Williams wrote a new suite for CE3K, recorded it, and didn't release it?

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

Not sure I understand. Williams wrote a new suite for CE3K, recorded it, and didn't release it?

All I know it was recorded. Probably a revision or a new piece. 

4 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Haha no I'm less attuned to those things. Being able to pick that out must be a gift and a curse!

I'm not especially attuned to it either. But there's a few very obvious examples, let me try and find them.

EDIT: apologies, I was thinking about the Keith Lockhard album. #embarrassed.

You can say that again.

10 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I very honestly feel that this is the best sounding JW album ever recorded.

Just something like the sound of the pizzicato basses in “A New Beginning” .... *melts*

Yeah, this is news to me as well. The Catch Me If You Can suite sounds superb, as does the Amistad track. Better than the original soundtrack!

9 minutes ago, Amer said:

All I know it was recorded. Probably a revision or a new piece. 

I'd like to think The Lost World and something from A.I. were recorded as well. Such absurd omissions, all things considered.

Not to get too controversial, but if the edict was that this had to stay 1 disc, I'd remove "Marion's Theme," "Immigration and Building," and the second "With Malice Toward None."  I would add "Where Dreams Are Born," "The Lost World," and "The Long Road to Justice."

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Not to get too controversial, but if the edict was that this had to stay 1 disc, I'd remove "Marion's Theme," "Immigration and Building," and the second "With Malice Toward None."  I would add "Where Dreams Are Born," "The Lost World," and "The Long Road to Justice."

They still had 10 minutes spare. They could have added 2 of those without removing anything. But if you added WOTW as well... hmm.

I could do without the Immigration track. There's already a surplus of Americana with all the Lincoln material.

There's plenty of material to justify a fourth volume in the next few years. Hopefully Steven's been giving it some thought.

• The Presses Roll
  • The Lost World
  • Where Dreams Are Born
  • Abandoned in the Woods
  • Escape from the City
  • Cinque's Theme
  • The Long Road to Justice (is this a concert suite?)
  • Irina's Theme (concert version)
  • Face of Pan (revised version)
  • Stargazers (new E.T. suite)

There's probably other revised concert arrangements I'm forgetting. Maybe JW's done some other new arrangements during iso?

Hard to believe it's now been longer since the last Spielberg/Williams collaboration than the gap between Munich and Crystal Skull (which felt like an eternity at the time, though Crystal Skull > Tintin/War Horse was far worse).