The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

On 11/13/2016 at 7:10 AM, crumbs said:

But yeah, The Hunt has to go down as one of the most exhaustive unused cues he's ever written. Such a memorable theme only used in that one track. I can't imagine how long that cue took to write considering all the brilliant percussion.

It's right up there with "The Balloon Sequence" from Witches of Eastwick as one of the most brutally rejected Williams cues.

On 2016-11-13 at 11:19 AM, Stefancos said:

Really though, its far more likely this release will contain new recordings of previously released music rather then Williams going back and writing new arrangements, or including unreleased or obscure cues.

you give Sony Classical too much credit.

It will be 2-3 new recordings with the rest of the c.d. filled with previously released recordings

Whatever album is in the works, it's a chance for JW to revisit and record some material from Spielberg scores dear to him. Perhaps this means he's gonna put new recordings of pieces already recorded in the past. Or maybe he's favoring stuff that wasn't previously recorded, who knows. I'm pretty sure the album is gonna be a "menu" of sorts, much like a concert program he would do in Boston, Chicago or LA.

Uh....i just noticed that i may not have "Williams on Williams" in my collection..(cant check my collection right now)  and there must be a reason for It. Has all the music on that cd been released in  other subsequent compilation cds that prevented me from buying the older cd?

EDIT: Lol forget that... i made my mother send me photos of the self and the CD is there ;)

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Uh....i just noticed that i may not have "Williams on Williams" in my collection..(cant check my collection right now)  and there must be a reason for It. Has all the music on that cd been released in  other subsequent compilation cds that prevented me from buying the older cd?

EDIT: Lol forget that... i made my mother send me photos of the self and the CD is there ;)

A Williams fan who can't remember the exact content of his collection?!!! Oh the horror, the horror. ;)

But I am happy you have the disc in your collection. The Hook suite alone is worth the price of the CD. And it hasn't been released in full form on any other release if I recall correctly.

10 hours ago, Tom said:

file this under pure speculation, but I have a hunch Williams worked up a new concert piece from Minority Report for the album.  I say this because he is performing MR at the Tanglewood on Parade, which otherwise seems like an odd choice. 

That's awesome! I love that score!

13 hours ago, Tom said:

file this under pure speculation, but I have a hunch Williams worked up a new concert piece from Minority Report for the album.  I say this because he is performing MR at the Tanglewood on Parade, which otherwise seems like an odd choice. 

Yep, had the exact same thought when I saw that on the schedule, considering the only real 'suite' for that score is the End Credits arrangement. He seems to revisit older scores in his concerts when they're fresh in his mind for other reasons.

6 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

It would be lovely to have an extended/more developed version of the string adagio from the finale.

There's some great unreleased variations in the recording sessions, aren't there?

22 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

Not that I know of. However, the track called "Sean's Theme" on the album is actually an alternate for "A New Beginning"--in the final film it's used as the first minute or so of the end credits roll.

And the film version of A New Beginning is considerably shorter than the concertized version found on the album.

7 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Not that I know of. However, the track called "Sean's Theme" on the album is actually an alternate for "A New Beginning"--in the final film it's used as the first minute or so of the end credits roll.

Ah, yes, that's what I was thinking. Both versions of A New Beginning being used in the final cut for the finale/start of end credits.

11 hours ago, mstrox said:

When Frank Langella showed him Dracula, Williams said, "You need a better composer than I am for this film." Langella responded, "I know. But they're all undead!"

He should have asked him to perform Bill Conti's Masters of the Universe score instead.

• 2 weeks later...

The language of the article does sort of imply that it would be across the whole of their collaboration (meaning "Raiders March", "Flying Theme", etc. again) and not just the last 20 years.  But maybe I'm reading way too much into a fairly vague sentence.

We already knew it would contain re-recordings of their older scores.

This is the first confirmation the label is Sony Classic though I think

Just now, Jay said:

We did? I thought we only knew that Catch Me If You Can and Saving Private Ryan were included.  For some reason, the details of what we know about this project just don't stick with me!

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is the first confirmation the label is Sony Classic though I think

We didnt know anything. Since there hasn't really been any official news about it.

I heard that he also recorded CE3K as an album selection. Probably because of its 40th Anniversary next year and Im hoping its a new special arrangement or a totally different selection from the score as he already did a suite for the first cd. 

I would be very surprised if there an any straight "reprises" from the first two albums.  I do not doubt it will contain music from older scores, such as the Stargazers piece, and maybe Williams's new arrangement of the motorcycle scherzo, as he seems quite fond of it. 

Yes, that's what I think. New arrangements of material from some of their first fourteen collaborations, plus arrangements from their next twelve. 

Over at FSM someone said that its a 4cd set from Sony Masterworks and will come out February 10th, 2017. Can anyone reconfirm this?

If it indeed is that would mean that these albums from 2 Spielberg/Williams set could be reprised on disc 1 & 2. Hoping that the remaining 2 discs would be the material from the new recordings?

2 hours ago, azahid said:

Over at FSM someone said that its a 4cd set from Sony Masterworks and will come out February 10th, 2017. Can anyone reconfirm this?

If it indeed is that would mean that these albums from 2 Spielberg/Williams set could be reprised on disc 1 & 2. Hoping that the remaining 2 discs would be the material from the new recordings?

If that's true, it certainly sounds more ambitious than I had thought, and although I have the previous two albums, two full CDs for the new stuff would be a tantalizing idea. And certainly no excuse for NOT including A TIMELESS CALL! Or perhaps even more from SUGARLAND EXPRESS than just the theme.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

If that's true, it certainly sounds more ambitious than I had thought, and although I have the previous two albums, two full CDs for the new stuff would be a tantalizing idea. And certainly no excuse for NOT including A TIMELESS CALL! Or perhaps even more from SUGARLAND EXPRESS than just the theme.

I am a bit skeptical that A Timeless Call is numero uno among the things this duo would like to highlight on a new compilation of Spielberg/Williams music but hey I am hope I am wrong on this.

Probably not 'numero uno', no, but if they want to appeal to fans of the director and composer who most likely have everything represented on the disc already, it would be a nice bonus rarity for us.

If I remember well, A Timeless Call was done pro bono (i.e. for free) for the Democratic National Convention in 2008, so that might be a problem for re-use fees and all that (the score was recorded in LA by AFM members).

So was AN UNFINISHED JOURNEY, wasn't it? But Williams managed to make a great concert suite out of that. I'm not expecting something as ambitious for TIMELESS, but a briefish suite would be great.

7 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

4 cd compilation sound great. Enough space to include lots of unreleased concert pieces from spielberg films!

I wouldn't treat such a release as a fact until it is actually confirmed. At this time we have some talk on FSM about it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a kind of celebratory multi-disc release concurring with Williams' 85th birthday next February. Let's hope it's not just repackaging of previously released material (hehe, Sony)

Just now, TownerFan said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a kind of celebratory multi-disc release concurring with Williams' 85th birthday next February. Let's hope it's not just repackaging of previously released material (hehe, Sony)

Indeed. Hope springs eternal.

And knowing it is Sony it will probably have some inevitable repackaging of previous material. But I guess they might have some unreleased but previously recorded music done by Williams (like the Happy Birthday Variations for Williams' 80th birthday compilation A Tribute to John Williams) they could release along with the brand new Spielberg/Williams recordings.

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Unfinished Journey wasn't done for a political party. It was a documentary that was broadcasted as part of the gala for the millennium's New Year's Eve celebrations held in Washington DC.

I know, of course, but I was thinking of the 'payment' for the job. Regardless, once you make a concert suite out of it -- much like he did with "American Journey" -- surely other variables apply in terms of re-use fees.