The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

I had a quick listen to bits of Dartmoor, 1912, it sounds like the suite from that YouTube video that gets posted regularly (with the young flute player narrating).

2 hours ago, azahid said:

If this set is a big success; We can hope for a fourth album in a few years.

Not a Spielberg/Williams collaboration part 4, mercy not!!!

Now, what we need is a re-recording of Harry Potter's music. In their last compilation (The Great Movie Soundtracks, 2015), and because of rights problems I guess, Sony used a (fairly bad) re-recorded version of 'Harry's Wondrous Word', not conducted by Williams.

What a shame!!!

24 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I had a quick listen to bits of Dartmoor, 1912, it sounds like the suite from that YouTube video that gets posted regularly (with the young flute player narrating).

That's what I expected, but at least this will be a complete version, since that YouTube video didn't offer the full performance (IIRC).

I really love both of the With Malice Toward None renditions on the disc. The first is the beautiful trumpet version which Christopher Martin performed at the 4th of July concert which is here performed by Thomas Hooten of the LA Philharmonic and he nails it and the second versions at the end of the album is the lovely expanded string orchestra version with the cello opening. 

And it is impossible to find room for all the great pieces of music from all the Williams/Spielberg collaborations that deserve to be recorded on a single CD. I am just truly grateful the Maestro and Spielberg decided to do this in the first place and we have this third disc now to add to this series of great re-recordings. :) 

How people here can review an album that comes out only tomorrow?

I'm not jealous... no, no, I just find your lack of solidarity and compassion... disturbing.

3 hours ago, Joe Brausam said:

Is War Horse the signature edition version?

Yes, it is.

From what I see, war horse and Marion's theme are the first official recordings of the corresponding Signature editions. (and I guess the Catch me if you can and Lincoln pieces too?)

I wish they had recorded the sublime Irina's theme instead of Marion's theme since that one is kind of included in the Raiders March in the first cd. :(

I wish they had recorded both, especially since they had Dan Higgins as the featured saxophonist on this CD. I think he was the soloist in the premiere the concert version of Irina's theme.

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

I really love both of the With Malice Toward None renditions on the disc. The first is the beautiful trumpet version which Christopher Martin performed at the 4th of July concert which is here performed by Thomas Hooten of the LA Philharmonic and he nails it and the second versions at the end of the album is the lovely expanded string orchestra version with the cello opening. 

And it is impossible to find room for all the great pieces of music from all the Williams/Spielberg collaborations that deserve to be recorded on a single CD. I am just truly grateful the Maestro and Spielberg decided to do this in the first place and we have this third disc now to add to this series of great re-recordings. :) 

Im looking fwd to these.

1 hour ago, filmmusic said:

Yes, it is.

From what I see, war horse and Marion's theme are the first official recordings of the corresponding Signature editions. (and I guess the Catch me if you can and Lincoln pieces too?)

I wish they had recorded the sublime Irina's theme instead of Marion's theme since that one is kind of included in the Raiders March in the first cd. :(

Escapades have been recorded and released quite a few times (at least three studio recordings and a live one prior to this one).

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I wish they had recorded both, especially since they had Dan Higgins as the featured saxophonist on this CD. I think he was the soloist in the premiere the concert version of Irina's theme.

I'm not at home to confirm, but at least, at Tanglewood, I think the soloist was someone else. I can be wrong, of course...

Wow, Dutch retailer Bol.com is asking € 51,99 for this with free shipping while Amazon.de asks almost € 30,- including shipping. That's a big difference. :eh:

Incanus' review of The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III is up on the main page:

http://www.jwfan.com/?p=9415

Also, for those who want to buy the new album in lossless format, it's available in FLAC (96kHZ/24bit) at the following sites:

https://www.highresaudio.com/en/album/view/yzghz6/john-williams-the-spielberg-williams-collaboration-part-iii

http://www.qobuz.com/fr-fr/album/the-spielberg-williams-collaboration-part-iii-john-williams/0886446295787

All I could access on Spotify was "Dry Your Tears, Afrika". It is a pretty good recording. It surpasses the City of Prague version and even the OST version for that matter. But just think if they had recorded some really great stuff...

I want to be excited for this, and I am (a little), but I gotta admit, it's nothing compared to how excited I was for the complete JP boxset and even A.I....

That said, I got it. It's good. It could have been better, but then my expectations weren't high to begin with.

My favourites are Minority Report, War Horse, and Saving Private Ryan, not necessarily because these recordings are so great, but because these are among my all-time favourite pieces.

Still, a nice and welcome addition to any JW collection! 

9 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I'm not at home to confirm, but at least, at Tanglewood, I think the soloist was someone else. I can be wrong, of course...

I might be mixing up concerts but if I remember correctly Higgins played saxophone on the actual KotCS score back in 2008.

From the samples on Amazon.com, the recording indeed sounds very good. Even Mike Matessino was praising Engineer Shawn Murphy on his Facebook page. 

By the way, has anyone got the physical product as yet or are people listening via digital download at this point?

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Quite honestly, I prefer this more diverse list of works over the selections on Williams on Williams.

More diverse, perhaps, but certainly not as fulfilling.

WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS is not only my favourite JW compilation; it's one of my favourite film music compilations of all time and easily on my Top 50 list of favourite soundtrack albums (where both individual scores and compilations are put together). I'm extremely passionate about that album.

3 hours ago, Incanus said:

I might be mixing up concerts but if I remember correctly Higgins played saxophone on the actual KotCS score back in 2008.

I'm quite sure he was the sax player on the score, yes. But I understood you were mentioning the concert première, as in live concert.

28 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I'm quite sure he was the sax player on the score, yes. But I understood you were mentioning the concert première, as in live concert.

Yes but I'll have to check my archives too to find out if it was Higgins at the premiere of the piece or e.g. at Hollywood Bowl to perform it.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS is not only my favourite JW compilation; it's one of my favourite film music compilations of all time and easily on my Top 50 list of favourite soundtrack albums (where both individual scores and compilations are put together). I'm extremely passionate about that album.

For me, that's the original The Spielberg Williams Collaboration CD.

10 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

2 hours ago, Thor said:

More diverse, perhaps, but certainly not as fulfilling.

Both are equally indispensable to me.

8 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Anybody get around to watching the documentary yet? Anything of interest?

same here... waiting but ... it's only 22mn... i'm afraid nothing of interest will be in it except the usual

"i love working with Johnny !"

"Thank you steven, i love to work with Steven too !"

"Thank you."

What else... as usual...

I have only two disappointments about the new album.

First, the play of the vibraphonist on Escapades. I don't like the volume variations of his play, his "sentences" are not fluid. The player drew attention on him at places he shouldn't. I prefer a more linear and "low profile" play.

The other disappointment is about Viktor's Tale.

Can you tell me how it become The Imperial March of Krakozhia?

25 minutes ago, Martyprod said:

same here... waiting but ... it's only 22mn... i'm afraid nothing of interest will be in it except the usual

"i love working with Johnny !"

"Thank you steven, i love to work with Steven too !"

"Thank you."

What else... as usual...

Waiting for a digital version to become available myself. Sorry to hear about the 'trite' contents, but I kinda expected it.

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

Yeah, we each have a history with these.

Picking up the WILLIAMS ON WILLIAMS CD is still one of the soundtrack purchases I remember the most vividly. It was the mid 90s, in a record store sale/cut out bin here in Oslo, and there it was -- for a mere 19 NOK (about $3), an unheard of price at that time. It was also in a period where I was "hooked on HOOK". It still ranks as my best soundtrack purchase of all time, I think. I also found Zimmer's BEYOND RANGOON for a mere $7, which also became my favourite of his. That was a good day.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The CD box is supposed to arrive later this morning, I can resist listening online until then :) 

please Tell us if the DVD is of any interest ! i don't really care about the album unfortunatly (healt issue , can't listen to music anymore since a very long time), but i'm interested by the dvd, but since i saw it's only 22mn long, i'm afraid nothing will be in it. :( the BBC documentary done in 1980 will be i'm afraid still hard to beat during a very long time... when other composers have hours of documentary, concerts filmed, released, etc... weird.

the last great thing i saw was the documentary of the live concert of E.T, it was almost 20 yearss ago :(...and too bad they didn't filmed the whole concert :(. when we know that Spielberg film each recording sessions of Williams , and that nothing about him is released in a nice documentary... :( 

10 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

All I could access on Spotify was "Dry Your Tears, Afrika". 

I think it just wasn't midnight EST yet when you checked.  Its all on Spotify here now

https://open.spotify.com/album/6N5S77eH6cj4782cOs85s2

8 hours ago, azahid said:

By the way, has anyone got the physical product as yet or are people listening via digital download at this point?

The physical box set will be in my mailbox around 2PM EST or so today.

Well that was a straight up edit done by Williams in 1981. This is an actual revision of the Hymn by the composer. Which makes it all the stranger. I think Miguel said this version was written to underscore a WWII documentary footage in some concert or another, which might explain the whole truncation of the piece to fit it to the running time of the film.

I don't understand Williams' fascination with The Adventures of Mutt. It does absolutely nothing for me; an instant skip on my iPod along with most of KOTCS (uninspired and disinterested sums it up, in line with Spielberg's direction).

The lethargic tempo does it no favours either (reminiscent of the OST Scherzo for X-Wings, inferior to the faster tempo concert version).

5 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I checked and the first performance of Irina's theme was at Film Night at Tanglewood in 2008 with Kenneth Radnovsky on alto saxophone. Dan Higgins has performed it at one point or another with JW but not at the premiere in 2008.

Just now, Incanus said:

I checked and the first performance of Irina's theme was at Film Night at Tanglewood in 2008 with Kenneth Radnovsky on alto saxophone. Dan Higgins has performed it at one point or another with JW but not at the premiere in 2008.

Ivanka's* Theme.

1 minute ago, crumbs said:

And I really don't understand Williams' fascination with The Adventures of Mutt.

I would have rather had Ivanka's theme in its stead.

Just now, Incanus said:

I would have rather had Ivanka's theme in its stead.

Well Williams did say she was a rather sexy character! If that doesn't get you excited, nothing will!