The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

22 minutes ago, Will said:

Yeah, if anything I'm disappointed at those BFG and War Horse lengths, because they seem to indicate little or no re-arranging from what's been performed in concerts.

But in the case of those two films, we do not have a studio-quality recording of those concert versions.  I am happy to see BFG is not being cut down.

Speaking of such things, isn't 4:19 short for HttF, or has it always been around that mark?

"The Adventures of Mutt" is like 20 seconds longer than the OST track, right?  A lot can happen in 20 seconds with such frenetic music.

I really can't believe there are two different arrangements of "With Malice Toward None" instead of having a second selection from Lincoln be "The People's House" (my favorite concert piece from that score).  They really should have just done all three concert pieces (including "Getting Out the Vote")!

Anyway, I'm guessing by the lengths of the two tracks that track 4 is the one based around the solo trumpet and track 16 is the arrangement that spotlights the string section.

53 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

A lot can happen in 20 seconds (...)

That's my quote of the day!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Holy crap, almost 2 hours later and no one is talking about this?

I was pleasantly surprised by how long the The BFG and War Horse selections are!

Seems to determine what music is in the Minority Report track, too.

I never get excited by numbers, unless you speak to me in inches.

I can't stand The Adventures of Mutt, so you can imagine how I feel about the fact that it OPENS the album. I only want Marion's Theme and the Catch Me if You Can material from this. And it's a huge missed opportunity that Irina's elusive concert arrangement isn't included in the programme. All in all, this is a weak package for grizzled JW fans. 

I remember what a revelation it was to listen to the Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration cd. I hope to have similar revelations with this one

This looks like a great release, but overall there seems to be a definitive focus on the quiter, more reflective pieces. Not one bona fide action track gets a treatment here (unless you count Mutt).... Which is more than a little disappointing.

Oh well.

My top three tracks I look forward to are from: Saving Private Ryan, War Horse, and Minority Report. 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Williams has been performing a shortened version of Hymm To The Fallen in concerts lately; I saw it that way in Boston one year

Never heard the shortened version, alas. So compared with the original, which part is missing? The brass bridge?

2 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Or it's a really slow performance...

Probably more likely, unfortunately (mostly because the slow version stinks!)

(Well, it doesn't actually stink, but it's not as good as it is fast ;))

Anybody can confirm if the new Marion theme recording is the version from the Signature suite published just after KOCS came out? I'm guessing the Lincoln material is from the Signature edition suite. That would definitely make me want to get those scores. Also, any info on who is playing the trumpet solo?i would assume it would be Chris Martin since he played it before. 

10 hours ago, Romão said:

I remember what a revelation it was to listen to the Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra on the Spielberg/Williams Collaboration cd. I hope to have similar revelations with this one

Most of this stuff has been out for years in some form or other or the film soundtrack already was heavily concertized to begin with ('Lincoln', and most of the recent Spielberg's really, save for stuff that IS NOT on this release, say, WOTW).

It may be a pipe dream but what if Williams, like JNH recently, just did a survey on what people buying this actually want? The market for occasional interested parties is waning, mainly due to the millions of alternative performances out there, so at least it could be a 50/50 situation. This way you might be getting stuff like 'Tintin' (alternate main title) that you can hide between all the ubiquitous pieces. As it is, the selection is mainly boring.

I'm actually going to buy this. Haven't got the old compilations so it makes sense to do it now. Shame that so many great scores were omitted from the new disc.

Karol

The first one especially was a huge event back then. The amount of newly arranged material was staggering and the BPO forces did it justice (tempi aside). I feasted on some of these versions for years.

14 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Never heard the shortened version, alas. So compared with the original, which part is missing? The brass bridge?

I don't remember specifics, I think he trimmed several parts throughout. 

1 hour ago, Tom said:

To put on my old man hat for a moment (actually, it doesn't come off), part of the reason for that was back in the day, we did not have ready access to Williams concert versions.  You either attended a concert or you waited for a CD.  Now, with youtube, etc.  we quickly hear the concert versions of BFG, Warhorse, etc, so cd releases have less of an impact.  In short, this generation is spoiled. 

Well said!! 

I never have liked Marion's Theme that much (I don't think there was every a moment where the harmonies really satisfied me), but it is very pleasant to listen to, and I really like this new arrangement - this will be the version I listen to from now on! (yes, I know it's not new, but for some reason I'd never heard it until now)

Some of the extensions are gorgeous - I like them better than the theme itself right now!

The old version almost felt too old-fashioned-y romantic. This version really feels more romantic in a way that actually resonates with me. Maybe the harmonies are more modern or something. Something about the extensions is just incredible. 

Im looking forward to hearing the Hymn from SAVING PRIVATE RYAN..I never liked that film recording that was done at Boston Hall. It was to distant and reverby. I hope the acoustics are well catured this time. 

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

You must be joking!

In serious. There are other versions which sound better. I remember reading Jeff Bond saying the same in a FSM review.

I hope "Immigration and Building" isn't taken from the American Journey CD.

That CD was credited to the Recording Arts Orchestra of Los Angeles as well. 

The Amazon.com artwork looks interesting. Do you think the artwork and the packaging will be all cardboard based slip cases as in the recent STAR WARS Ultimate Collection set? or does it appear that it may actually be jewel cases? I don't think that this will be the latter case.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 10:13 PM, Jay said:

Williams has been performing a shortened version of Hymm To The Fallen in concerts lately; I saw it that way in Boston one year

Yes, it was performed for the first time in 2014 at the annual Pops' Film Night. The piece was meant to accompany a montage of excerpts of WW2 films in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Normandy invasion. Williams trimmed several bars here and there (nothing substantial actually, mostly "come sopra" and repetitions) and changed a little bit the orchestration (there's an added bass line at the beginning under the snare drum rhythm). So the piece is substantially the same, but imho sounds less powerful than its original longer counterpart.

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 7:35 PM, Jay said:

08 Escapades for Alto Saxophone and Orchestra from "Catch Me If You Can": Movement 2: Reflections (7:38)

So this is gonna be the same revised version with the extended bass cadenza (which I thought was improv by Mike Valerio) that was performed by Dudamel at the JW Gala at the Disney Hall in 2014. Cool.

Also, track times reveal that the two versions of "With Malice..." from Lincoln are indeed the trumpet/orchestra version and the strings version with the obbligato cello part.

OK, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but am I the only one that is tired of Williams compilations with the same pieces over and over and over and over200 again? (except for the 3rd cd).

I mean, OK, we have so many cds with these, why not a suite from The Secret Ways? or Stanley and Iris? or a new recording of a Dracula cue?

Because Steven Spielberg didn't direct those films?

And a Keith Lockhart conducted CD full of stuff like that is releasing in May... see here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26885-a

49 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

OK, I don't want to sound like I'm complaining, but am I the only one that is tired of Williams compilations with the same pieces over and over and over and over200 again? (except for the 3rd cd).

I mean, OK, we have so many cds with these, why not a suite from The Secret Ways? or Stanley and Iris? or a new recording of a Dracula cue?

Oh, I agree. I'd love to see some of that on a non-Spielberg compilation. Some day, I guess.

I'd also love to see a NON-Williams Spielberg compilation:

17 hours ago, Jay said:

And a Keith Lockhart conducted CD full of stuff like that is releasing in May... see here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26885-a

Ah, yes. I forgot about that.

Hope it has some rarer pieces and not another rendition of Imperial March, Raiders march etc.

(the only 2 confirmed pieces are the Midway and Dracula ones if I understand correctly)

I'd love to hear a new recording of Exsultate Justi  from EOTS using the female choir!  Is the Lockhart  concert cd coming out in May to feature Williams Towering Inferno and Goodbye Mr Chips to also include Dracula & Midway or is that yet part of an another album? I think we need to address that Concert Program with another thread discussing our wish lists. 

PS. It just dawned on me that selections from THE LOST WORLD, A.I. and WAR OF THE WORLDS could be part of this concert program  ?? Could these have been  intentionally reserved for a special concert premiere. :blink:

13 minutes ago, azahid said:

discussing our wish lists.

14 minutes ago, azahid said:

PS. It just dawned on me that selections from THE LOST WORLD, A.I. and WAR OF THE WORLDS could be part of this concert program  ?? Could these have been  intentionally reserved for a special concert premiere. :blink:

LOL

15 minutes ago, azahid said:

Is the Lockhart  concert cd coming out in May to feature Williams Towering Inferno and Goodbye Mr Chips to also include Dracula & Midway or is that yet part of an another album? I think we need to address that Concert Program with another thread discussing our wish lists. 

Yes, it seems it's gonna be the same album. Some material has already been recorded during past concerts (Midway and Dracula), while the rest is gonna be filled with selections that will be performed on the special birthday concert next April.

I was listening to the Crystal Skull OST this morning and remembered that one or two people were bad-mouthing "Adventures of Mutt" on this thread.  They couldn't be more wrong!  It's easily among my favorite new Williams themes post-2005.  Fizzy, hyperactive fun.  It's just a delight from beginning to end.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I was listening to the Crystal Skull OST this morning and remembered that one or two people were bad-mouthing "Adventures of Mutt" on this thread.  They couldn't be more wrong!  It's easily among my favorite new Williams themes post-2005.  Fizzy, hyperactive fun.  It's just a delight from beginning to end.

I'm a little in between. I've always enjoyed it and remember having fun listening to it a lot when it first came out, but I also think compositionally it's a tad on the clumsy side for Williams...not the biggest fan of the repeating "rapidly descending scale" thing that finishes the intro and pops up here and there motivically. The piece does pretty much keep up its manic energy for 3 minutes, though, and a lot of the orchestrations are fun in and of themselves of course. I like the basic nuts and bolts of the theme but it does wind up still feeling unfinished, like an unused sketch from his Hook notes that he always liked and was just messing around with. I guess he was going for spontaneity, maybe? It sorta works, but something's missing.

4 minutes ago, azahid said:

There is an $8.63 rebate on US Amazon.com today ONLY on orders at minimum $50 subtotal. I cancelled my old order of this set and reordered with other items. Code is BIGTHANKS.

I got that email too, so I pulled the trigger on some other things.  All for a cool savings of less than $10.  But hey, I'll take it.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I remember many not liking it because it "did not fit the character."  As a criticism of the score in film, I get that.  As a criticism of the music itself, I cannot even begin to wrap my head around it. 

Yeah, the problem is not so much that the music is bad -which it isn't- but it sounds wrong for an Indy movie. The music that plays when Mutt enters on his bike to the train station seems much more appropiate for the character but both Spielberg and Williams abandoned it after that point.

I always looked at "Adventures of Mutt" as a nice, extroverted mini-overture where JW poured some fun in writing virtuosic Indy-styled jottings for the whole orchestra. While not his best piece ever, I always liked it for what it is--a nice little symphonic bon-bon that works great as a concert opener or as a lively intermezzo.

well, i generally like Mutt's theme (not anything to be crazy about though).

The thing I didn't like much, and it sounded to me like the composer was bored a bit, were the too many unison octaves.

I'm not sure I have heard another WIlliams piece with so much unison.