The Spielberg/Williams Collaboration Part III CD & DVD (And Ultimate Collection CD / VINYL box set)

The Psycho Pianist

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I always thought that hymn of the fallen dragged a little with two repettions of the same material....

I agree, actually.

Any unboxing videos on youtube yet? I guess these should appear by the weekend. they are always fun to watch. 

The abridged Hymn to the Fallen was performed for the first time in 2014 at the annual Pops' Film Night. The piece was meant to accompany a montage of excerpts of WW2 films in commemoration of the 70th anniversary of the Normandy invasion. Williams trimmed several bars here and there (nothing substantial actually, mostly "come sopra" and repetitions) and changed a little bit the orchestration (there's an added bass line at the beginning under the snare drum rhythm). So the piece is substantially the same, but imho sounds less powerful than its original longer counterpart.

Agreed. The slower build in half the effect of the piece for me.

19 hours ago, Incanus said:

Agreed. The slower build in half the effect of the piece for me.

Well since we can hear it TWICE in the OST, its nice to have an alternate arrangement for it :P

55 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The goal of these re-recordings is certainly not to record the exact same thing that we already know!

It depends entirely on what the composer wants. Some of the arrangements on this new disc are very close to the originals and differ only in their tempi interpretation. And it is also entirely possible to do a bad arrangement or re-recording as well.

Mercy! Not again...

These re-recordings are not for the fans like us who already have all the soundtracks.

It's for hooking up new fans!

JWfans, stop lamenting that "your" track is not here, please. :sleepy:

5 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Mercy! Not again...

These re-recordings are not for the fans like us who already have all the soundtracks.

I'am lamenting the lost opportunity for a Concert version which remains unrecorded. Same goes for LOST WORLD. These cues make for great  listening  experiences for both existing and new fans.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's for people like us who enjoy hearing a new recording of a work they know by heart.

Right on! 

This boxset will be a great introduction to anyone who wants to discover John Williams's film works.

It's really something important.

I compare it to the 1990 "Star Wars Trilogy" re-recording.

These releases really makes new fans. And they will be fans for life.

3 minutes ago, Bespin said:

This boxset will be a great introduction to anyone who wants to discover John Williams's film works.

It's really something important.

So what you are also saying is that you are not interested in getting this since you already have the originals? 

On the contrary, I'm amazed by this release, like it was the first days of my love affair with John Williams. :lovethis:

By the way, Jon Burlingame wrote the liner notes for this set (I asked). He might do a commercial write up for its release for Variety etc. 

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

Mercy! Not again...

I think "Indy's first adventure" would've worked well with newcomers to JW.

For some reason iTunes hasn't added the Part III album as a separate item yet (which is a shame as we'd get a high res version of the cover art that way), but they have the box set version up twice:  Once for $16.99, and once for $19.99 that includes the DVD

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1205679614

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1205669744

On ‎2017‎/‎03‎/‎13 at 2:01 PM, Erik Woods said:

Yeah, not a fan of it personally.

-Erik-

On ‎2017‎/‎03‎/‎13 at 1:35 PM, Incanus said:

The Hymn to the Fallen is a curiously truncated version, played quite fast and omitting sections of the piece, running about 2 minutes shorter than the original one. Certainly not my favourite revision.

I'm not a fan of it either, and was quite taken aback when I first heard it with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra in Edinburgh in 2015, but I'll just have to get used it to reduce disappointment with all future concert performances of the piece. Doing the same with the War Horse suite that's not as poignant as The Homecoming.

I'm not really sure if its the best idea to combine the really uplifting, optimistic music for War Horse's opening with its more reflective finale music

I think the new version on this disc is better than the versions I have heard previously on Youtube, especially the transition from the Dartmoor material to the end credits stuff. It might be a revision or perhaps just an issue with the performance and how JW handles it here but it is much better and less schmaltzy than before.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

For some reason iTunes hasn't added the Part III album as a separate item yet (which is a shame as we'd get a high res version of the cover art that way), but they have the box set version up twice:  Once for $16.99, and once for $19.99 that includes the DVD

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1205679614

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/id1205669744

Are we sure they will release Part III separately? I really hope so...

22 minutes ago, curlytoot said:

Are we sure they will release Part III separately? I really hope so...

Its already available separately on Amazon MP3; I've just been unable to find it on iTunes (US)

https://www.amazon.com//dp/B06W5581FJ/

3 hours ago, curlytoot said:

Thanks. Saw about Amazon; hoping that tomorrow night it hits iTunes. 

Does anyone know if the digital release is in HD? I am debating between getting the Amazon MP3 or the physical release. If they are the same file sizes, I would gladly pay $6 more for the physical release, but if the digital version is higher quality, then I will definitely get that.

Crap! Hadn't thought of that until now. The two sample videos have been in HD so that seems to indicate that the digital version may also be HD, versus the standard def DVD.

Ha! I was actually asking about the music files and hadn't thought of the video being in HD! That would be another reason to order the digital. I ask about the music because sometimes the digital downloads are less compressed than their CD counterparts. I got the Ultimate Star Wars Soundtrack Collection last year and the digital files were twice the size as those from the CDs. You could definitely tell the difference between the two. I am wondering if the same will be true with this set or if the digital version is a straight rip of the mp3 files from the CDs? 

i was chatting with Jon Burlingame on the omissions of AI, LOST WORLD AND WOTW. Apparently these were intentionally left due to various reasons. What seems to be is purely on the composers own preferred choices. Burlingame is a fan of A.I. in particular and mentioned that he also missed having it. When the 2nd Boston Pops Album 'Williams on Williams ' came out, Burlingame was the one who asked Williams about AMAZING STORIES  not having included it at that time. And  Williams was sort of apologetic and wished that he had this conversation prior to his recording sessions a month back as he would have added it to the programme. 

If this set is a big success; We can hope for a fourth album in a few years. Does anyone remember how long did it take for the 2nd album to come out after he did the first one?

There's gonna be heaps of material for Volume IV in just a few years...

• The Post
  • Edgardo Mortara
  • Ready Player One
  • Indiana Jones V (Two concert suites?)
  • War of the Worlds (Suite)
  • The Lost World (Concert version)
  • Artificial Intelligence (Two concert suites)
  • Ivanka's Theme (Concert version)
  • Stargazers from ET
  • Amazing Stories

That's already a solid album. 

EDIT: Judging by @azahid's post, looks like the infamous 3 were intentionally omitted. Hmph.

Interesting that all three of these scores are available in complete form (legitimately and otherwise) and Williams very recently approved both TLW & AI as complete releases. Maybe, after thoroughly reviewing these scores in the last year or so, he simply decided he wasn't interested in revisiting them further for this compilation?

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

• The Post
  • Edgardo Mortara
  • Ready Player One
  • Stargazers from ET
  • Amazing Stories

EDIT: Judging by @azahid's post, looks like the 'infamous 3' were intentionally omitted. Hmph. Interesting that all three of these scores are available in complete form (legitimately and otherwise).

Add to it encore's from LINCOLN, MINORITY REPORT, AMISTAD and LAST CRUSADE (Young Indy's first Adventure) 

29 minutes ago, zoltan_902 said:

OMG OMG OMG!!!!

The whole album just became available for streaming on Apple Music here in Australia. See in a bit peeps.

AWESOME! I hadn't thought to check!

I get Apple Music totally free on my phone plan, so that's my driving music sorted for tomorrow! :D

Just now, crumbs said:

AWESOME! I hadn't thought to check!

I get Apple Music totally free on my phone plan, so that's my driving music sorted for tomorrow! :D

It's curious; when I saw the album available, it was about 23:30, 16/03/2017, which in theory is 30 minutes early, if indeed streaming availability is supposed to coincide with purchasing.

Looks like you're in Oz as well. Happy listening.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

• The Post
  • Edgardo Mortara
  • Ready Player One
  • Stargazers from ET
  • Amazing Stories

EDIT: Judging by @azahid's post, looks like the infamous 3 were intentionally omitted. Hmph.

And A TIMELESS CALL, dammit! Why do people keeping ignoring this? It's a pure Americana gem.