John Williams Highschool Yearbook Picture 1950

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

His neck looks cold.

The obvious reason to wear all those turtlenecks later!

Yeah, I saw Donna's discovery on Facebook. Very cute -- and his good looks and talent must surely have been instrumental in nailing him a senior (Ruick) when he himself was a freshman two years prior to this photo.

6 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The obvious reason to wear all those turtlenecks later!

I think it's more because he had a bad taste for ties.

He actually looks quite a bit like my own grandfather at the same age. And -- dare I say it -- a bit like myself a few years back (only more handsome). Or maybe I'm just imagining things.

jw.JPG

TJ - summer school3.jpg

He, he...because I'm leaning towards two other gorgeous young women to fit into a camera angle:

https://scontent.fosl1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/1929107_4640876277_2702_n.jpg?oh=3185594601d9ff1d7cc64ec392147b10&oe=58AD0F31

By the way, pretty hefty price on that year book. Do you think someone will pay that much for it?

• 5 months later...

Are you Doug Lacey, thx? I saw this picture in his Facebook feed.

Anyways, great find. I was going to brag about finding him, but I see that someone beat me to that as well.

Okay, so here are the 10th graders from the 1948 North Hollywood High School yearbook, grouped by "A"/"B" and "GIRLS"/"BOYS".  Having trouble ID'ing Williams in either picture, assuming that he's in there at all.

Spoiler

John Williams (1948)_2.png

John Williams (1948)_1.png

LOL, I'd love to think this was him, throwing up the bunny ears behind this poor unsuspecting fellow...

crop2.png

4 minutes ago, Thor said:

Are you Doug Lacey, thx? I saw this picture in his Facebook feed.

Yes.

A couple of faces obscured by other people's heads, but, in the A10 picture, could it be boy 5th from right, in front, in chequered shirt?

7 hours ago, gkgyver said:

Ok, stop stalking this guy.

Written in jest, I assume. I say 'keep 'em coming'! We need to have some grasp of Williams' early life, like all major composers throughout history.

Who is "we"?

Try digging up more recording sessions if you want to devote your day to something Williams.

Nobody gives a damn about high school photos. I say try find out what he had in his lunch box.

35 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Who is "we"?

Try digging up more recording sessions if you want to devote your day to something Williams.

Nobody gives a damn about high school photos. I say try find out what he had in his lunch box.

OK, so NOT written in jest, then.

By 'we', I mean anyone interested in and/or chronicling the work AND life of any major artists throughout history. Who do you mean with 'nobody'?

There are more than a few composers throughout history whose early lives have escaped history altogether or are only broadly sketched out.  And there are some living ones of whom the same is true, out of a desire for privacy on their part, and/or a mutual sense that the music is what they have chosen to share with the world, and the rest is not necessary for plundering and study, at the very least not while they still live. 

I was trying to elucidate for Thor why some might find this sort of thing distasteful - I know that I would be uncomfortable, at my age or Williams' to know there is an ongoing analysis of these parts of my life.  This is just my perspective, though I understand the historical appeals.  I said nothing about you.  The indignant response is hardly necessary. 

12 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

There are more than a few composers throughout history whose early lives have escaped history altogether or are only broadly sketched out.  And there are some living ones of whom the same is true, out of a desire for privacy on their part, and/or a mutual sense that the music is what they have chosen to share with the world, and the rest is not necessary for plundering and study, at the very least not while they still live. 

I kinda agree with this.

Williams is a public figure, but also a rather private man. I certainly don't feel just because we are fans of his music we are entitled to anything more than that.

51 minutes ago, thx99 said:

So is my posting of the publicly-available yearbook images above considered "plundering"?

Absolutely not, and don't let naysayers convince you of otherwise. It is, in fact, quite the opposite. As long as the information is publically available in some form, we owe it to history to assemble as much information as we can on one of the greatest artists of the last 100 years. That includes both professional works and some degree of personal life, and especially where the two intersect.

I do the draw line at some point (in fact, I possess several pieces of information on Williams that I would need to consider carefully before I published it), but since there is practically nothing at this point, all we can do is collect the threads ourselves. Photos like the ones you posted are VERY welcome, and I hope both you and I and others can continue to share them for years to come.

21 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Posterity surely wants to know everything pertaining to his musical life and education, but his private life is nobody's damn business.

You assume that there are no links between personal life and musical works, which is simply false.

8 hours ago, Thor said:

(in fact, I possess several pieces of information on Williams that I would need to consider carefully before I published it)

Way to tantalize us! :angry:

;)

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No one said otherwise. But it simply is none of our business!

Quite the contrary, it's everyone's business -- and OBLIGATION -- to have a full understanding of the lives of the greatest minds and public figures of our time; people who shaped our popular culture. It's not like we're chronicling Williams' toilet frequency or what he does in the weekends. No, it's more getting a grasp of a timeline (illustrated by this wonderful thread) and a persona behind the music, especially where it intersects with professional output.

I mean, the trademarks of every auteur director out there are shaped by their own history. It helps to know that Spielberg grew up as the only Jewish kid in his neighbourhood, that he used film to steer clear of bullying, that he was frustrated by his father who left the family (hence the deceptive father figures in his films, and the strong female characters), that he was told stories from the war by that same father (thus nurturing his interest in the period and in flight) and so forth. Some of this Spielberg has said in interviews, some he has not. But not knowing these personal details would rob us of half the values of his films. I don't see how it should be any different with Williams.

50 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So it must follow that it is our obligation to find out everything about you, right? Even the things you would prefer to keep private?

Last time I checked, I was not a major cultural figure of the last century. But I thank you for the backhanded compliment. :D