The Fellowship of the Ring: A Behind-the-Scenes Report

Kühni

Very cool, thanks for posting this! I admit a big smile crossed my face when I saw that Shore asked the musicians to read the book....and they did.  Just another example of how much passion the people who worked on these films poured into it, and how much respect for the source material they brought to what they did. I love to think that the performance of an individual musician was somehow inspired by what he or she read in Tolkien, and that it can somehow be heard or at least sensed in the finished piece. 

Who would have thought that we'd ever see another work of equal stature to what JW did with Star Wars in our lifetime. Just nailed it, and I associate Shore's score with Middle Earth as closely as I do anything else.

19 hours ago, Kühni said:

Next there is a detailed discussion about the 'bodhrans' (Irish drums) and how many players are available to play and at what pitch. Can the sound be darker? Perhaps one player should play the side drum to make the sound more forceful and military but still 'from a long time ago'? There are long discussions about which tycho drums to use. Howard has a very clear idea in his head of the sound that he wants to achieve. 

20 September 2001

We have transferred to Air Studios, Hampstead. In an attempt to get the correct drum sound it is suggested that the drum could be heated with the hand drier in the 'Ladies' to tighten the skin.

It's stories like this that remind us why Middle-Earth sounds best with Shore on the stand. It's this kind of penchant for detail that explains the distinct difference in sound between the Hobbit scores.

10 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

It's also worth considering the fact this was Shore's first foray into Middle Earth, he wanted full control over the sound. After four scores, he knew how it should sound and trained Pope/Sizemore to continue it.

Is that really what you believe?

Cool report Khuni, thanks for sharing it again. It's great how specific he got about the sounds he wanted, going so far as to use a hair dryer richest up a drum skin!

9 hours ago, Kühni said:

(Yo KK - You and that fabulous country of yours still doing well? :)

Aye friend, we're still in good shape! When you flying back? Have the Germans kicked you out yet? ;) 

5 hours ago, SafeUnderHill said:

It's also worth considering the fact this was Shore's first foray into Middle Earth, he wanted full control over the sound. After four scores, he knew how it should sound and trained Pope/Sizemore to continue it.

Somehow I doubt Shore gave Pope/Sizemore intense training on how to fine-tune a bodhran. It also probably explains why the percussion in BotFA sounds like shit.

Shore probably had a miserable time working on AUJ and seeing so much of his score being reworked, shifted around, replaced etc that he didn't wanna spend another two years working like that and they found a way that would sorta work.