E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial 2CD Complete Edition - Roger Feigelson from Intrada talks about it!

Jay

Roger Feigelson says

We discussed combining [The OST LP Program and a Complete Score Presentation] with Williams' camp when we were working on Jaws and they didn't want this one being worked on right now. There were a couple of other projects that were nixed as well. But we will keep trying!

Roger

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117084&forumID=1&archive=0

Exciting!!!

Since 2017 is the 35th anniversary, maybe it could come out next year!

Of course, I will never say never to a HD transfer from the original multi-tracks tapes.

A combined OST/Score release could be a good gift to make to young and future fans. It's not easy for all to look for the old 1982 CD.

Personally, I lost patience few years ago and bought a used copy, but I'm ready to open my purse again when a new expanded set will be released.

:up:

Mike Matessino would be my go-to guy for any JW expansion. Let's hope he'll get a chance to work on producing the definitive release of this classic someday. Soon.

Roger's words means they simply want to discuss a new ET release at a later date (I guess Williams' camp doesn't want to have the market flooded with too much new stuff at the same time). However, I'm pretty sure it'll come sooner rather than later.

Nice to know that Intrada folks are trying. I remember that Mike Mattessino did a  speculative track list in a post somewhere here many moons ago.

4 hours ago, Incanus said:

Mike Matessino would be my go-to guy for any JW expansion. Let's hope he'll get a chance to work on producing the definitive release of this classic someday. Soon.

If you remember from my Home Alone / Jaws interview I did with him, he's actually literally the only one who will be doing Williams / Spielberg expansions. They hired him to be the exclusive producer of all of them. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

If you remember from my Home Alone / Jaws interview I did with him, he's actually literally the only one who will be doing Williams / Spielberg expansions. They hired him to be the exclusive producer of all of them. 

Excellent! :)

I don't even own the 20th Anniversary Edition, just the 1996 expanded one... and I remember, at the time, being very upset not to find the same versions I had on this 1985 CD:

Résultats de recherche d'images pour « john williams movie greats MCA »

https://www.discogs.com/fr/Various-Movie-Greats/release/3533282

A part from the movie, that was my first contact with the E.T. score. I recall ordering it by the Columbia Mail-order CD club.

It's one of the oldest CD compilation, if not the oldest, containing a John Williams original track taken from an OST.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

The exciting part is "right now" as opposed to "ever"

Indeed! Also seems to indicate that the Williams/Spielberg camp have other scores they'd like expanded/remastered with greater urgency than others, which is interesting!

Perhaps they feel ET's expansion was fairly recent, and they want to wait for the 40th anniversary to re-do it?

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Indeed! Also seems to indicate that the Williams/Spielberg camp have other scores they'd like expanded/remastered with greater urgency than others, which is interesting!

Exactly!!

43 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Perhaps they feel ET's expansion was fairly recent, and they want to wait for the 40th anniversary to re-do it?

Seems possible to me!

3 hours ago, crumbs said:

Yes, in fact I'm sure Johnny has been falling all over himself to get Sugarland Express released, and that's what's holding up the rest of 'em. ;)

7 minutes ago, Will said:

Yes, in fact I'm sure Johnny has been falling all over himself to get Sugarland Express released, and that's what's holding up the rest of 'em. ;)

Hah, yeah, right!

Do we know if Matessino approached their camp about doing A.I. or was it the other way around? It seems a real anomaly of an expansion considering how comparatively recent the film is, not to mention the generous amount of music they allowed to be released.

Probably LLL's great relationship with WB allowed them to get the license, and then they asked MM to produce and the rest was history. 

Are there many more WB Spielberg/Williams collaborations we haven't gotten yet? I can't think of any except Empire of the Sun and A.I.

I assume score releases are easier with less studios to deal with, so maybe his Dreamworks films (where he has more clout) will be easier to arrange for MM?

13 hours ago, aj_vader said:

I got the 20th Anniversary Years ago, I foolishly thought it was complete. Is there many unreleased cues or just a few?

Just a few but 1996 version also contains stuff that isn't on 2002 disc. Alternate versions of 2 (I think) tracks. And, of course, the OST has those other album bits as well. So you kinda need all three....

Karol

34 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Just a few but 1996 version also contains stuff that isn't on 2002 disc. Alternate versions of 2 (I think) tracks. And, of course, the OST has those other album bits as well. So you kinda need all three....

Karol

Yes, plus you need the missing cues from the old 1995 Laserdisc isolated score track to build your own custom complete edition.

At the risk of sounding repetetive, I might point that the original 1982 OST album isn't technically a full re-recording (like Jaws), but it's a mix of film cues and concert arrangements.

I don't mind waiting a bit on E.T. given that we have a near-complete majority of music already available in various forms.  It's not perfect, but I'd rather focus on scores that have never seen a proper expansion that desperately need one (legally) such as Far and Away!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm far more optimistic about his comments than most of you seem to be!

I thought ET would be more in the category of "A major record label expands it imperfectly" like CE3K, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Jurassic Park... Not "a specialty label could be granted a license and they would hire someone to do it right" like AI, EOTS, 1941,Jaws,etc.

The response Roger got seems to indicate it's the latter, but they just wanted to focus on other releases first. So I think it's good news!

It's exactly the way I got it too. Also, they talked about it with JW and his camp back when they were doing Jaws a couple of years ago, so time has passed since then, hence it means it could be nearer than before :)