BloodBoal

I'd say it's a combination of love + familiarity with Star Trek. The kind of love that lets you say "I'm sorry, I love you, and I want the best for you, but you're doing this wrong."  And the depth of knowledge with the history of the franchise to back it up.

Others would say it's unwavering, blind loyalty to anything that has the words "Star Trek" in it.

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's the realisation that Star Trek is better than everything, and fully accepting and indeed promoting that fact.

About to say that. :lol:

Karol - still a Starfleet Academy padawan

5 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

So, let's say someone loves everything Star Trek except the original series. Can that person be called a Trekkie?

I sure hope so because I fall into that camp.  I can appreciate TOS for its accomplishments and creating the universe/characters I love in other incarnations (including original cast films) but I really don't enjoy watching actual episodes from the 60s.

Well, a fleet of Galaxy Class Starfleet ships would pulverise a fleet of Imperial Star Destroyers, so in that way I'd have to give the nod to Star Trek.

On the other hand, there are no Wookies or laser swords in Star Trek, so I'd say it's a wash.

4 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Being a Trekkie is to like a bit of weird in your space adventure stories, maybe.

And Jerry Goldsmith.

That's just the movies though, really. Is that the limit of your knowledge?

Although I've seen all the movies, and quite a few episodes of TNG, in particular -- being a mildly ST-interested person in the 90s -- I've never understood the big appeal of STAR TREK. In any incarnation. Silly goofball stuff; what I somewhat derogatorily call "pointy ear sci fi". BUT.....I'm endlessly fascinated by the concept of 'Trekkies', i.e. the fandom surrounding it. I know there are a few documentaries on the phenomenon (I've seen a couple), but I really can't get enough. I wonder if there have been any sociological papers as wel? There must be. I'd love to read one.

1 minute ago, Shatner's Rug said:

They're just regular people who are easily bored and frustrated by the mundane and banal state of their real lives, and need to substitute it for escapist fantasy.

The question was "What is it to be a Trekkie," not "Who comes to JWFan."

One of the things I always found most amusing about geekdom is geeks mocking other geeks for their geekiness. This typically manifests itself in the vs. debates...Star Wars vs. Star trek, etc.  Not debating the franchises on their merits, but how much geekier fans of the other franchise are. Few things are as adoringly pathetic as a Star Wars fan calling a Star Wars fan a geek (and vice versa). It's like someone with 30K posts on a message board smugly telling someone else they need to get out more.

Typically, I find that the people doing the mocking are the most awkward and anti-social themselves. If you think you're cooler than someone else, it's almost certain that you're not cool at all! :)

Indeed. And you don't have to be someone who dresses up and goes to conventions to be one.  I've seen every second of every Star Trek series/movie and I've never even considered attending a convention.  Does that make me less of a Trekkie?