JAWS - Live To Projection Concerts (5 minutes unused music restored to picture)

crocodile

First half is over. The Alimentary Canal was restored, and worked brilliantly!! 

Intermission happened right after Out To Sea, or kind of in the middle actually, with the picture fading during the wide shot of the Orca heading out, and the music transitioned to some sort of new intermission break. 

The music is SO much more impactful in this presentation, probably because the 70s mono mix can only do so much. It sounds AMAZING like this!!  

I'd love to have this score recorded as an alternate audio track on some future blu ray release like they did with E.T. 

Typewriter Chord, Shark Tows Orca, and Quint Meets His End were all NOT restored.  Neither was the opening of Blown to Bits.

The Alimentary Canal was, though, as well as the previously dialed out sections of Tug On The Line and Three Barrels Under.

And of course, the new Intermission break / entre'act / bonus post-credits finale music

These kinds of concerts have been well-received by audience members.  How about this one?  Did the audience skew older than other movie concerts you have attended?

Oh, I dunno, seemed about an average Boston Pops crowd.  Plenty of mddle aged people with their kids, some really old people with oxygen tanks, all the usual stuff

You can make it happen, Stu.  Just buy tickets when they go on sale, and hire a babysitter.  Done.

I am eyeing a couple of Harry Potter concerts later in the year.  One in North Carolina, the other in Northern Virginia.  Both are 3 hour drives.  So doable!

UPDATE: Just bought tickets for me and my wife to see Harry Potter in September :D It'll be our first overnight trip after the baby.

Another great show by Lockhart and the Boston Pops.  The music sounds INCREDIBLE when played live!  The barrel chase music was particularly exhilarating!  

On 5/26/2017 at 9:37 AM, Jay said:

Oh, I dunno, seemed about an average Boston Pops crowd.  Plenty of mddle aged people with their kids, some really old people with oxygen tanks, all the usual stuff

Jay, did your crowd applaud virtually every time Quint opened his mouth?  I lost track...they applauded his appearance in the city council room (Y'all know me!)...his exit from the city council room....the first time he sang "Spanish Ladies"....after the Indianapolis speech...when the shark ate him.....it was actually pretty obnoxious by the end of it.  "You're gonna need a bigger boat" also got a whoop from the audience.

The audience Friday night also seemed to skew pretty young; there was a huge high school group near us in the first balcony, and I could tell there were several others throughout the hall.

Just now, Stefancos said:

Really? Urgh.

I was exaggerating, but yes, the applause during the film got to be a bit tiresome by the end.

54 minutes ago, Jay said:

One thing I didn't like was that they put subtitles for all the dialogue on the screen.  They do this at some LTP concerts I go to and I don't really understand why; People are there to hear the music, not the dialogue, and are fully deaf people actually going to music concerts at all?  

Hearing impaired, maybe, but it makes sense to me. I don't know what the mix is like with these things but if the music ever made dialogue inaudible at times the subtitles lets people still follow along while listening. People are there for the music but it's not like they're not watching the movie. 

I dislike yellow subtitles that overlap the picture itself, like the Japanese text in Tora, Tora, Tora! Sometimes it's hard to read. I'd rather read it in the black below the picture. Maybe I'm just losing my eyesight. 

Definitely for home viewing subtitles can be annoying, but they're perfect for LTP concerts.

Though again, I've still not yet been to one, so I'm judging it off imagination and Youtube videos.

I like watching dialogue heavy films with subtitles at home sometimes, in case I miss something or can't understand a pronunciation. Not even talking about accents specifically, even Tom Hanks could have a moment where I'm like "Wtf is he saying?"

I don't even notice I'm reading them, same with non-English films.

I don't think I've ever watched a live-action dubbed film, besides like parodies or Fellini where that's just how he rolled so you gotta take those bizarre syncs. The first time that I was gonna watch Oldboy, there was an English dub on Netflix but I couldn't stand more than a few minutes. So much more distracting to me than subtitles.

Animated dubs are more seamless, the Miyazakis are very good.

I'm a firm believer in watching live action films in their original language with subtitles but yea, I don't mind with animated films especially as you say the Miyazaki Disney dubs are all wonderful and made with care. 

While the dub acting is good, the dub scripting definitely subtracts from the experience, with a few occasional exceptions.  Those movies, and really any show or movie created outside of your country, are very much a product of the culture that produced them. Listening to them in a different language seems antithetical with that experience. I can understand the desire to watch them in English for English speakers, but I feel you're missing out on something important; a certain feel that's been created.

• 2 weeks later...

Keith Lockhart talks about Boston Pops performing 'Jaws' score at Tanglewood film screening

Lenox is a long way from the beach, but the Boston Pops will bridge that distance on Sunday night when the orchestra performs the score from "Jaws" during a screening of the Steven Spielberg thriller at Tanglewood.

"With John's music, there are so many riches to mine," said Boston Pops conductor Keith Lockhart in a recent interview. "'Jaws' is one of his greatest works. It's a seminal score."

The live music must be perfectly timed to the onscreen action, which puts additional pressure on the conductor.

"I have a colleague who refers to it as video game for a conductor and orchestra," Lockhart said.

Audience reaction to live accompaniments of beloved films has been positive, said Lockhart, adding that many younger audience members have not had the chance to see these films on the big screen before.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2017/06/boston_pops_to_play_jaws_score.html

• 2 weeks later...

Wait, you thought the intermission break was odd?  I thought it was perfect!

It makes so much sense to have pre-Intermission be the entire Island sequence, and the entire post-Intermission to be the entire Ocean sequence.

How would you have done it differently?

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, Jay said:

And sure enough, like clockwork,  as soon as the first 2 notes of the shark theme were heard, the audience started laughing.  So odd!

People are idiots.  When I go to these I spring for balcony box seats so there aren't people in my immediate vicinity.  I hate how people laugh wildly at inappropriate stuff and get up as soon as the credits roll.  For Raiders, I'm expecting people to howl with laughter at the Cairo Swordsman scene.  I get that it's a classic bit of comic relief but it's never been laugh out loud funny to me.

1 hour ago, MrScratch said:

People are idiots.  When I go to these I spring for balcony box seats so there aren't people in my immediate vicinity.  I hate how people laugh wildly at inappropriate stuff and get up as soon as the credits roll.  For Raiders, I'm expecting people to howl with laughter at the Cairo Swordsman scene.  I get that it's a classic bit of comic relief but it's never been laugh out loud funny to me.

It is simply how human beings relate to one another when in a large group.  If we did not act that way as a species, I am pretty sure that theatre and movies would have never came to be.

The intermission break was in the perfect spot...the fade out with orchestra tag was just a bit odd in my opinion.  

On my night, my audience did indeed laugh and clap at the main titles.  They also clapped after "bigger boat".  Thankfully the people near me didn't leave until the end of the concert!

2 hours ago, Tom said:

It is simply how human beings relate to one another when in a large group.  If we did not act that way as a species, I am pretty sure that theatre and movies would have never came to be.

Mouth breathing morons!

19 hours ago, Doug Adams said:

Me too. Come say hello.

Didn't see this post until now haha. That's cool you were there too. 

Great stuff. To be honest, though, I would say this was probably by least favorite live to projection concert I've been to so far. I had forgotten just how many scenes don't have music in them, and probably partially for that reason this film/score didn't seem to "click" live to the extent the others did. Also this score often kind of recedes into the film rather than bursting out of it, major exceptions being cues like "Man Against Beast," one of the highlights of the score for me. 

Yea, there's definitely not a lot of music in this film.  Which is why i was really surprised they didn't restore Shark Tows Orca and Quint's End

• 3 months later...

Because I am sure all of us here can identify it after literally the first note, it seems strange to see random regular folk struggle to identify the Jaws theme in the Royal Albert Hall's cafe bar.  The live concerts in London are next weekend.