Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

It really wasn't an interesting enough theme the first time and he's bringing it back? And another lazy regurgitation of the french horn solo from the JP theme? Come on Michael, you can do much better than this.

Hoped he might take some inspiration from how Williams approached TLW after JP.

Yeah, yeah, only one minute out of a 100 minute score, I know.

It's one of his most mediocre themes. Extremely basic in its construction. Jyn's theme is a masterpiece compared to this.

Same.

But I was indeed confused for a moment by its reprisal here. It took another listen to recognize subtle differences. But I'm still half asleep anyway (I've got a dog on me and he won't get up...).

I do hope there's a theme specific to Fallen Kingdom (in the vein of how John Williams had a Lost World theme and only reprised the first film's theme at the beginning and end). Come to think of it, Don Davis' JP3 is the only one to not have its own theme, but I suppose JP3 didn't deserve one. 

Giacchino just posted a video of another score clip - this one with a tinkling piano version of Williams' main theme, not too unlike what we've seen in the trailers.

I'll leave it to someone with easier Twitter access to post a link.  OK bye!

A mild shame he's giving it away already, but the last score only used the Williams theme a few times anyway. 

Unlike Don Davis who has to constantly remind us that we are, indeed, listening to Jurassic Park. Though unlike Giacchino, to be fair, he played with it more.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Giacchino just posted a video of another score clip - this one with a tinkling piano version of Williams' main theme, not too unlike what we've seen in the trailers.

I'll leave it to someone with easier Twitter access to post a link.  OK bye!

It sounds very similar to the rendition I. The old visitor center, but just half the theme...giacchino try to innovate a little please ,

I was worriedly thinking the same thing. Perhaps that's why he didn't include that cue on the last OST. :P Thought he'd get away with this that way!

I'm sure he's just throwing that here as the preview as that's the easiest way to appease those kind of fans, and the actual score will be largely original material.

But it certainly wouldn't kill him to play around with some kind of variation here.

I prefer the 'B' part to his JW theme. The 'A' part is definitely rather lazy. My heart sinks a little when I hear a new theme and it begins with three ascending notes. Can they really not come up with something more interesting than that?

I'm somewhat hopeful J.A Bayona can bring something interesting out of him, but those previews weren't the ideal first impression. Heck, when he first previewed the last score, he was wise to just show us a bit of a minor theme. It goes without saying the Williams theme will be there, you don't need to tell us twice as though our minds will be blown!

C'mon, man, give us a theme for Claire, or an Indoraptor theme. His original material was good enough for me last time, so give us more!...

JA Bayona @filmbayona

20 hours ago, mstrox said:

just posted a video of another score clip - this one

apparently the finale of the movie, underscoring Giacchino's fancy hat.

20 hours ago, mstrox said:

I'll leave it to someone with easier Twitter access to post a link.  OK

bye!

2 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I prefer the 'B' part to his JW theme. The 'A' part is definitely rather lazy. My heart sinks a little when I hear a new theme and it begins with three ascending notes. Can they really not come up with something more interesting than that?

This is 100 percent correct.  The A theme sounds like a shitty children's campfire song.  

On 16/03/2018 at 11:47 AM, crumbs said:

What thoroughly uninteresting, rubbish "underscore." Over a minute's worth of music that probably took, what, 30 seconds to "write"?

Not hard to see why Williams had him "booted off" Star Wars if this is the type of generic crap he's prepared to put his name "to".

The first statement is an opinion (though one that I do in all honesty agree with: perhaps it would have been better to use the later clip of the ending if he wanted to tease us) but the second... this is the second time I've heard somebody say that JW had him "booted off" and not a jot of evidence to back that up. So please: provide it.

Classic Giacchino power-chord monster-movie mash-up.

However, Jurassic World had never really grabbed my attention (except for a little of the action music). Tomorrowland was the far better score of that summer. I doubt this number two will have any seriously inventive or captivating material.

I like Giacchino fine and thought Jurassic World was one of his more enjoyable works. 

It is a shame that he merely amounts to 'fine' for me, but I'm easily pleased with monster music. I assume there won't be anything 'captivating' music-wise, just serviceable fun, and that's alright with me. 

...Powell's Dawn of the Dinosaurs is a better score though. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I went to the Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Celebration and got to see the 8 minute opening of the film at a screening! It was really awesome, honestly; much grittier and darker than anything we got in Jurassic World. You can tell it's a new director. Anyway, Giacchino's score was heard in this opening of course, and while I was too caught up in the footage to really remember much, I DO remember that when the logo for the film came up at the end, the big choral music heard near the end of this new video was what played! So I am assuming all of the music heard in this video may also be from the score. Take a look:

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Music sounds good in that featurette. Has a bit of a Lost World percussion vibe going on in the beginning. 

I like The Lost World! Wouldn't mind something a bit more similar to that. :D

What was disappointing in Jurassic World was how they used animatronics and digitally painted over them, almost wasting all the time and effort to make the puppets in the first place. Maybe the puppets provided something real for the actors to act off, but from my perspective, it was just more CGI.

In JP the CG sticks out for the sake of it being the pioneer of that technology at the time, but the T-Rex and Raptors, and the other dinos the characters interact with had a real potency and sparked an emotional response because we could see they were physically there, much the same way as puppet Yoda in ESB and RotJ.

Actually, there were no animatronics built for JW except for the one apata..apot...apa....um, the long-necked herbivore. The reason for that being that animatronics are for close-ups/partial body shots, and JW is almost always full-body shots. By all accounts, they went out of their way to find more opportunities to utilize practicals in this one.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

Actually, there were no animatronics built for JW except for the one apata..apot...apa....um, the long-necked herbivore. The reason for that being that animatronics are for close-ups/partial body shots, and JW is almost always full-body shots. By all accounts, they went out of their way to find more opportunities to utilize practicals in this one.

They built animatronic Raptor heads for the pen sequence before the 'Chasing the Dragons' sequence.

Yeah, but that's less in the Jurassic tradition and more like having stand-ins to give the actors something to react to ala the human actors with the animated characters in Roger Rabbit. 

Either way, my gut tells me this will be considerably better. I love JW for the blissful B-movie it is, but that J.A Bayona fellow is quite a professional.

Yeah, hopefully. Trevorrow claimed the abundance of CGI was down to the size and movement of the Indominus Rex and the scale of the park etc. but it was his plan that in the sequel with Bayona's direction that the two were enthusiastic about getting back to using more practical effects.

On 17/05/2018 at 5:23 AM, MedigoScan said:

I expect CGI to be painted over everything ala the Thing prequel

History repeats itself. Universal have pulled the same trick again; same studio who demanded CGI monsters be painted over the animatronics in The Thing remake.

Rex-Compare.gif

indoraptorcompare4dsuo.gif

The eye thing was just some weird trailer thing. Confirmed by the producer, the eye shot of the Rex will be animatronic. Now the Indoraptor is apparently being replaced mostly with CGI. The difference though is it is GOOD CGI. Certain puppets were still only used for reference and for actors to react to, like in this case. I also think they may have changed the look slightly. You will notice the puppet has scabs/scars on it, whereas the CGI version does not.

What do people expect from Gia's score for this film? I've lost interest in his take on Jurassic Park music after JW. Beyond quotes of JW material sometimes came across as mishandled, the new piano theme was the only music I enjoyed from JW.