Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

The JP3 score is perfectly fine, if not lacking any memorable new themes. I prefer it over JW1 even.

But a complete release would have to include the film edits of certain tracks, or else I dont care.

(and the pteranodon cage intro, even if that was taken from somewhere else)

On 9/19/2018 at 5:26 PM, scallenger said:

Has there been a release of JURASSIC WORLD or JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM in a standard jewel case and NOT a digibook (likely not in the United States since I am pretty sure it has been a digibook)?

I don't think so. All Back Lot Music releases I've seen so far have digipacks.

3 hours ago, MedigoScan said:

The JP3 score is perfectly fine, if not lacking any memorable new themes. I prefer it over JW1 even.

But a complete release would have to include the film edits of certain tracks, or else I dont care.

(and the pteranodon cage intro, even if that was taken from somewhere else)

Yeah same here! The cage intro was either library percussion or some sort of isolated percussion from the first score. I'm not sure which.

I'm not optimistic that it would be included though, given some recent astounding omissions.

• 1 month later...

Been listening to this quite a bit in the car and am really enjoying it. Seems I'm one of the few who do though. Why does Gia seem to be so reviled by film score fans?

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

Been listening to this quite a bit in the car and am really enjoying it. Seems I'm one of the few who do though. Why does Gia seem to be so reviled by film score fans?

Because John Williams fans are insecure about their favorite composer’s alpha status.

1 hour ago, John said:

I’ve not once seen a convincing argument for how Giacchino is a poor composer. 

He's not outright poor, just not as good as many others but given a lot of opportunities for dream projects that other composers arguably deserve more. 

That acknowledged, give me Giacchino over Desplat or Tyler or Rupert-Gregson Williams any day, to name a few jugheads.

9 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I've only ever really experienced this on JWFan, it's just plain old snobbery. Love him, hate him, just indifferent - fine, but proclamations of skill, lack of skill are going to be subjective.

Ironically there's only one composer who dwarfs all others in the amount of praise they receive on this forum and his name isn't even John Williams, it's Jerry Goldsmith!

6 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

He's not outright poor, just not as good as many others but given a lot of opportunities for dream projects that other composers arguably deserve more. 

That acknowledged, give me Giacchino over Desplat or Tyler or Rupert-Gregson Williams any day, to name a few jugheads.

How can you tell what Giacchino deserves, or what anyone else deserves? Clearly, he was given these projects (especially in the last few years) because of the repertoire he had built over the last decade, and friendships with filmmakers and composers alike. If they didn't like the music he was producing they'd have easily gone to the next guy in line. 

I will admit that he has done a heck of a lot of movies in the past decade or so. I mean, look:

2018: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Bad Times at the El Royale, Incredibles 2, NASA Piece

2017: Spiderman: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes, The Book of Henry, Coco

2016: Zootopia, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Doctor Strange, Star Trek Beyond

2015:Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, Inside Out, Jurassic World

2014: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

2013: Star Trek Into Darkness

2012: John Carter

2011: Cars 2, Super 8, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

2009: Star Trek, UP, Land of the Lost

2007: Ratatouille

He's been an industry staple for a while now, and it seems he's been scoring films left, right and centre, especially looking at the past four years.

He's already signed up for Jurassic World III and Spiderman: Far From Home.

He's been busy, and for all the scores he's composed there are definitely good ones and also not as good ones. But he has an impressive repertoire, and everyone at the very least should recognize this. 

2 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

I'd just like a bit more variety, as for awhile he was getting every other big blockbuster assignment. 

Each of the assignments have given Giacchino an opportunity to do a variety of styles!

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I will admit that he has done a heck of a lot of movies in the past decade or so. I mean, look:

2018: Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom, Bad Times at the El Royale, Incredibles 2, NASA Piece

2017: Spiderman: Homecoming, War for the Planet of the Apes, The Book of Henry, Coco

2016: Zootopia, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Doctor Strange, Star Trek Beyond

2015:Jupiter Ascending, Tomorrowland, Inside Out, Jurassic World

2014: Dawn of the Planet of the Apes

2013: Star Trek Into Darkness

2012: John Carter

2011: Cars 2, Super 8, Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

2009: Star Trek, UP, Land of the Lost

2007: Ratatouille

He's been an industry staple for a while now, and it seems he's been scoring films left write and centre, especially looking at the past four years.

He's already signed up for Jurassic World III and Spiderman: Far From Home.

He's been busy, and for all the scores he's composed there are definitely good ones and also not as good ones. But he has an impressive repertoire, and everyone at the very least should recognize this. 

You missed out Speed Racer!

3 hours ago, Arpy said:

Ironically there's only one composer who dwarfs all others in the amount of praise they receive on this forum and his name isn't even John Williams, it's Jerry Goldsmith!

Yes!

Because Jerry Is Better Than Everything!

• 1 month later...

I like it more than the first one too.  In fact, I think I like all Giacchino sequel scores more than the original, barring the same one you pointed out, Incredibles 2

Initially I thought Incredibles 2 was slightly disappointing, but I've been revisiting it a bit lately and think it's a fine score, especially the raucous and walloping build-up to the finale. I just wish it had included some of the quieter cues from the film.

I used the word “roteness” intentionally.  It was a perfectly fine score - effective in the movie, fine on album.  It’s also exactly what I would have expected from a direct sequel score to The Incredible - nothing more, nothing less.

48 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

It's my second favorite Jurassic score in general, in terms of album listening (Lost World is still tops).

Now that's going too far!

• 8 months later...

Giacchino's sessions for blockbusters movies eventually leak, one way or another.

Rogue One is a little late, though... Maybe Lucasfilm's vaults are better guarded? Anyway, bad news for Williams' and Powell's Solo's fans.

Upon closer listen, there's actually some great worthwhile stuff here (I dismissed this at first as I largely heard some fine but insignificant action cues)! "A Maisie Grace" has a lovely unique take on the Fallen Kingdom theme. I would definitely add that, "Malcom Before the Storm" and "Call of the Riled" to my playlist. 

On 12/1/2019 at 5:47 AM, Evanus said:

Well, it seems the recording sessions have finally uh, appeared online.. 

There's a shock. It's like Gia's leaking them himself.

Why can't we ever get bloody Star Wars scores to leak?! :angryfire:

On 3/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, Kasey Kockroach said:

TLW's theme isn't all that interesting.

I don't know why, but I really, REALLY like that theme.

There's something oddly satisfying about it for me.

Woefully underused though.

That's 99% of the case when Williams' themes are adapted by other composers. I don't think anyone has truly had the same command of something like the Force theme the way he has. I think Giacchino came close in Rogue One, though.

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I think Giacchino came close in Rogue One, though.

Interesting... personally I don't think Gia had any idea how to handle that theme in Rogue One.

29 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting... personally I don't think Gia had any idea how to handle that theme in Rogue One.

I like it's use as counterpoint in 'Rogue One' with the little fugue. 

I get that I'm in the minority on Rogue One's score, though, so your reaction isn't surprising.

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I get that I'm in the minority on Rogue One's score, though, so your reaction isn't surprising.

Yeah, nothing personal :) We all have different opinions, I'm just not a huge fan of his score but I appreciate he was under difficult time constraints.

I enjoy Solo more, but still appreciate R1 for what it is, and for a spinoff film score I think it does well. 

Although I'm of the opinion anyone scoring Star Wars other than Williams is walking into a minefield of expectations and a giant legacy established over forty years. Even Gorannsson with The Mandalorian still has to use some of Williams' vocabulary to keep things familiar. It's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' thing...

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Although I'm of the opinion anyone scoring Star Wars other than Williams is walking into a minefield of expectations and a giant legacy established over forty years. Even Gorannsson with The Mandalorian still has to use some of Williams' vocabulary to keep things familiar. It's a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' thing...

Absolutely, and I'm sure any director who enters the franchise feels the same pressure. Make it too familiar/similar to the past and you'll be criticised for playing it safe, go too far outside the mould/be different and you'll be torn to shreds like Johnson has. It's a seriously toxic fandom.

Though most SW fans I've seen or talked to absolutely love the soundtrack to The Mandalorian, and a surprising number have said they like it far more than JW's sequel scores :(

8 minutes ago, Bofur01 said:

Though most SW fans I've seen or talked to absolutely love the soundtrack to The Mandalorian, and a surprising number have said they like it far more than JW's sequel scores :(

The world hasn't stood still since 1977.

The sequel scores are quite old-fashioned.

The Mandalorian isn't.

Can't say I'm surprised.