Max

Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Why are there two different cover designs? I ordered it from Amazon, but not sure which cover I'll get. The one with the logo seems to compliment the design of the first score's album cover.

There's only one cover.  The picture posted earlier is of the booklet inside the digipak.

16 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yes I think that is when Claire asks Owen if he remembers the 1sy time he saw a dinosaur. When they are jailed in the lockdown state laboratory

Yeah, it's when they see the mother and baby Dinosaur together in the cage and she has some monologue about bizarre stuff

Ah its the music I thought was a direct lift from 'Ye Olde Visitor Center' from JW1. It starts that way, but goes in a different direction.

Also LOL at that ending.

I saw the movie recently and the score as heard in the film continues a few issues I have with many of Gia's scores (excepting his work for animated films) where the music seems too over the top for the visuals on screen. A few times in the film there are HUGE string flourishes played to accompany a car arriving at a mansion or as the camera pulls up to look over a forest. Perfectly nice views that do not need a full blast of grandiose orchestral accompaniment. It sounds like the music is trying to hard to be big at those moments. 

The new bad guy march is pretty good but also completely lacking in any restraint or subtly which makes it almost difficult to listen to on the OST. 

Saw the film yesterday (after listening to the OST a couple times previously). I really liked it: Opening was both haunting and utterly terrifying, and the Lockwood granddaughter added a much-needed (if a bit cliched) emotional edge. 

About the score: It sounded GREAT in the film!! I was stunned by how great the mix was. The score had a bunch of huge moments to shine (e.g. the rollup to Lockwood's estate, and the helicopter takeoff with Owen and Claire early in the film -- the latter cue which I think might be unreleased). I have to disagree with @artguy360 above: To me these "big" moments were the highlight! This was how films like this should always be mixed, in my view. 

The new main theme was a great identity on screen (much stronger in film than the more anonymous JW1 theme), although it does get kind of grating on album (the JW1 theme is much more richly tonal and satisfying on album in its returning performances). Giacchino does the big "epic choir with massive brass and timpani" thing a few too many times (as per usual!) with his Fallen Kingdom theme here. 

In large part, again, due to the loud mix, the villain march was really awesome in the film. I agree with ArtGuy that it's a little grating on album, but in the film I have to say it was quite thrilling.  Wonderfully over-the-top -- almost felt like a JW-scored Indiana Jones scene as the armored vehicles moved in towards danger. Almost. 😉 I loved Gia's little woodwind interlude for the comedic moment in the truck in between blasts of the march. Felt a little like something JW would do (although of course the execution wasn't quite as good). 

All in all, I was thinking this was merely an OK/solid score after hearing the OST, but I might bump it up to good in my book just because of how well it plays in film (not all Giacchino's doing, obviously, but still). 

This cue is really awesome! Stuck in my head right now.

That romantic explosion at 1:15 sounds like the first few notes of Debney's Cutthroat Island love theme. And the rendition of the JW1 main theme at the end is gorgeous, particularly the brass fanfares at the very end.