Michael Giacchino's JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM (2018)

Max

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I think Mine Mission is my first INSTANTLY loved action track since... probably The A400 and Motorcyle Chase back in 2015

I knew I was gonna love this since the first forty seconds of This Title Makes Me Jurassic.

It's almost Christopher Young-ish!

"Between The Devil and the Deep Blue Free" reminds me of his Star Trek scoring a bit

I think "Declaration of Indo-pendence" has the best action material of all the samples

Reminds me a bit of the unreleased knife fight cue from MI5 mixed with some cool choir work

In terms of a follow-up score improving on its predecessor, this is an even wider gap than War for the Planet of the Apes VS Dawn.

At least with those, War wasn't good to a point where Dawn was suddenly worthless. This? Yeah, not gonna bother putting on JW's album again. 

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Well I should be more specific and say samples

And heard the whole end credits suite. ;)

That's all I need to know. I used to defend JW's score, but I'm laughing now knowing Giacchino can be this fun with dinosaur antics. Now I can just be honest with myself and say "yeah, nevermind, JW's score is like a 2-star effort. This is a solid 4-stars for Mike". Nothing that's gonna sweep the Academy or change how the film music world sees his work, but my craving for monster carnage concertos is now very much satisfied.

"To Free or Not To Free" sample sounds like the big wrap-up of the movie and its not very good, this is the kind of stuff Williams excels at and it seems limp here

"The Neo Jurassic Age" features another nice new evolution of the main theme

The "At Jurassic World's End Credits / Suite" sample has a  version of the theme  more like JW1 and less evolved, but still has some changes and sounds nice.  I'm really looking forward to hearing the Suite, I have liked basically all of those MG has done since he started doing them 5 years ago

35 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?

I thought the indominus quote was in a track not on the album (the actual first track of the movie)

you are right though that not much major stuff was missing, they skipped a lot of the slower scenes (jeff goldblums speech, recruiting owen, mills and maisie scenes, the aforementioned re-appearance of the JP1 theme)

though they did skip some interesting indoraptor/horror stuff

To Free or Not To Free is not the wrap-up scene (though it is the end of the tension basically)

That'd be the next track

I still like JW1's score somewhat, but this feels less like LOST redux

I don't mind LOST redux as I enjoy that kind of atmosphere when in the right mood, but when I think monster movie music, this is more what I had in mind than anything JW1 offered.

also some neat stuff (and puns) was left from the JW1 album yeah (divorce of nature, come hell or high slaughter, five is the scariest number, your alpha is showing) 

it were these tracks that reminded me of LOST, actually

The JW1 OST is probably the worst assembled OST album in Giacchino's filmography.  Some baffling cue choices there.  The recording session leak really changed my opinion on the whole score.

Just got back from the movie. As far as quoting original JW Themes goes, I think Giacchino quoted them just the right amount of times. Certain quotes did give me goosebumps. The best quote of the original Jurassic Park theme came around the middle of the movie, reharmonised and wrapped around the accompaniment, although I can’t remember exactly what was happening on screen at the time. If anyone can deduce which track it is on the OST from my very vague description I’d be very pleased :) 

4 minutes ago, tmarps said:

Just got back from the movie. As far as quoting original JW Themes goes, I think Giacchino quoted them just the right amount of times. Certain quotes did give me goosebumps. The best quote of the original Jurassic Park theme came around the middle of the movie, reharmonised and wrapped around the accompaniment, although I can’t remember exactly what was happening on screen at the time. If anyone can deduce which track it is on the OST from my very vague description I’d be very pleased :) 

Are you referring to the scene when

Spoiler

we see the Brachiosaurus dies in the distance and we hear a "mournful" and troubled rendition of the JP theme?

Karol

10 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Are you referring to the scene when

Reveal hidden contents

Karol

I don’t think so, although I think it wasn’t too far after that. Unless it was... damn I wish I payed more attention to what was going on rather than listening to the score. When I am a little less busy I’ll try and listen to some of the soundtrack. :)

BTW I was wrong

Pillow Talk is somehow the music track that plays before the 'pillow scene' happens (the actual scene is covered by the next track on the album)

I really hope this isn't a case like Coco where some score tracks were left off the CD release, in this case the two added tracks. Though if that turns out to be the case, I won't mind buying the digital release. 

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Oy.  Making pronouncements like that about an entire score based on iTunes samples is ridiculous.  :sarcasm:

It's strange alright.

4 hours ago, Smaug the iron said:

I find the link to iTunes but I did not find the samples.

You have to actually install the iTunes program, they don't play from the web page. If you're on an android phone and not a computer, I dunno if it's possible. I assume on an Apple phone they'd play in the iTunes app. 

Confirmed, the CD only has 24 tracks.

JW2.JPG

So "Double Cross to Bear" and "Gyro Can You Go?" remain digital-version-only exclusives.  

Darn, that's a shame. Ah well, we'll see if it affects the listening at all. 

In fact, now that I think about it, I wouldn't be surprised if Giacchino decided those cues were unnecessary (since that pushes the score to 79ish minutes!), but threw them into the digital release just in case people wanted them.

Now up for sale in countries where it's already Friday

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/album/1391415975
https://itunes.apple.com/au/album/1391415975
etc

Here's my initial impressions of the album after first listen

Overall I guess it's pretty good, I suppose I like it more than the first score (certainly more than the first OST album).  I think he does some things much better than the first score, but other things not as well.

The strongest part of the album is definitely the end, like the last third maybe.  Some of the percussion-based action material towards the end is fresh and exciting.

I really liked the parts of the score where he takes his JW1 themes and reworks them for the new score.  Owen's Raptor Squad theme especially sounds great.

Most of the new themes are not very in-your-face, and didn't leave much of a strong impression on me at all.  Subsequent listens should help.

As far as returning themes go, the main Jurassic Park theme only returns in cameos - the concert arrangement intro appears in "The Theropod Preservation Society" and "To Free or Not to Free", and the B section of the theme appears in "Nostalgia-Saurus".  The actual main part of the main theme DOES appear in "Volcano to Death" in a sad, defeated way, but it's cut off before finishing the entire theme.  The first 3 notes of the B section also appear in the End Credits track at the end of the same arrangement of the main Jurassic World theme that was heard in "This Park Is Closed" from the first Jurassic World album.

The Adventure Theme gets a big runthrough in the first minute of "At Jurassic World's End Credits / Suite", and that's it.  No Carnivore theme.

Returning from the first Jurassic World score, his Main Theme returns in 6 tracks (2, 4, 9, 24, 25, 26), the Owen's Raptor Squad theme returns 19, 20, and 24, and the Indominous Rex theme is in tracks 1 and 23 (This Title Makes Me Jurassic and Declaration of Indo-Pendence).  

The Family Theme and Hoskins/In-Gen theme don't return at all.

New themes:

• The new main theme (Fallen Kingdom Theme?) is introduced at the end of the first track [2:27-end] and gets a big concert arrangement in the Suite from 2:04-5:18 and then again from 8:28-end.
  • There's a 16 note quiet theme in "The Theropod Preservation Society" [0:36-1:07] and "Operation Blue Blood" [0:46-end] that gets a spot in the Suite from 5:18-6:40.
  • There's a 16 note march-like theme that appears in "March of the Wheatley Cavalcade" from 0:15-0:35 and then shows up in the Suite from 6:40-7:45.
  • There's an ominous theme that opens "Go With the Pyroclastic Flow" [0:00-0:14] and also appears in the Suite from 7:45-8:08
  • There's also a twinkly theme that appears interspersed with the main theme in the suite (ie 3:20-3:40 and 4:11-4:31 during the first part and 8:08-8:28 and 9:00-9:20) during the second part)... but I don't know if this is truly a separate theme or just a B-section of the new main theme.

There's probably more new stuff I haven't unpacked yet.  I haven't seen the film so have no idea what any of the themes could represent.

The suite is a pretty damn great track, I wish it appeared in its own track not connected to the first 2 minutes of old theme retreads, though.