Has there been any good film music lately?

BLUMENKOHL

49 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not sure what you mean with 'lately', but I mention some of my 2016 favourites in this thread:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26737-top-10-scores-cues-of-2016/

Looking down that list, I'm really struggling to think of a single new score I purchased this year. Could be a first.

Film scores I've enjoyed released in the past 12 months

Alan Silvestri - The Walk

Danny Elfman - Goosebumps

Carter Burwell - Carol

John Williams - The Force Awakens

Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Bear McCreary - 10 Cloverfield Lane

Danny Elfman - Alice Through The Looking Glass

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

John Williams - The BFG
Alexandre Desplat - The Secret Lives of Pets

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond

Daniel Hart - Pete's Dragon

Dario Marianelli - Kubo and the Two Strings

James Horner / Simon Franglen - The Magnificent Seven

and of course

James Horner - Collage: The Last Work

36 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Looking down that list, I'm really struggling to think of a single new score I purchased this year. Could be a first.

Well, if it's any comfort, I'm not really into any of the scores listed by the topic starter in that thread either. Too "Hollywood" for my taste. Although I'm hoping out for Elfman's new ALICE (haven't gotten around to it yet). But there's a lot of great stuff being done outside the "bigger" blockbuster stuff; if one cares to look.

I've tried as many of the suggestions as I could here. From the Destiny music to High Rise to The Vessel.  

It's all left me feeling a bit more dejected. It all sounds so disposable and predictable. I feel like I've heard it all before. Probably the most new sound was in Abzu, but even that feels a bit...Thomas Newman. Though the merger of the Newman underwater sound with the medieval sounding choir was intriguing. 

We need a damned Stravinsky in this field. It's getting tired. Or I've just listened to too much film music and there is nothing more new to be said. 

Anyways, as for what non-film music I'm listening to right now that I'm actually enjoying: Night Falls by HecQ.  Lovely lovely album, slow, evolving, dense. Like the above mentioned medieval choir but for the 21st century. Unearthly and meditative.  At the very least, give the first two tracks "Night Falls" and "Never Leave" a good listen. 

The fact that I rarely go watch movies these days doesn't help. I'm typically too poor and lazy to go watch what few new releases interest me - I mainly make exceptions for Star Wars movies and Pixar films.

Then friends will play bits of new scores, and those snippets just reinforce my general feeling that film scoring has gone to shit. It's not that I'm incapable of enjoying music I've never heard - Rey's theme moved me to no end, especially on the first few listens. But a lot of the stuff I'm hearing these days relies on cheap, easy compositional tricks. There's no risk. The harmonies are predictable and the melodies never achieve that sacred tension between defying and satisfying the listener's expectations.

And of course, no one wants music that draws attention to itself these days. Which can be fine for moviegoers...but I love a score that's so good it distracts me from the film.

There is one really good film score I've listened to that came out within the past year - Lorne Balfe's American Hero. It's very brief, clocking in at just over twenty minutes, but that's all it needs. It establishes the main theme in track one, then spends the rest of the time alternating from melancholic to ecstatic to disappointed to upbeat, and then some. It covers a lot of ground in a brief time, and is highly piano-based. It's nice to hear something a little different from constant blaring synths or aimless orchestral compositions.

Here's a suite Lakeshore Records put together.

2 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

I've tried as many of the suggestions as I could here. From the Destiny music to High Rise to The Vessel.  

Did you try any of my suggestions from the other thread?

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Did you try any of my suggestions from the other thread?

I tried the Young Messiah by Debney, after realizing the first track is just a rip off of Trevor Jone's Cleopatra, I didn't continue with your list. :(

Too bad, because although I think YOUNG MESSIAH is a fine score, it's not the best on there. Check out Laurent Perez' Del Mar's LA TORTUE ROUGE for starters -- if that doesn't move you, you're made of stone! :)

Or if electronic music is your cup of tea, the marvelous NERVE (Rob Simonsen).

It is indeed. I guess I can group my aforementioned recommendations thusly:

Fun Hollywoodisms:

PEE WEE'S BIG HOLIDAY (Mothersbaugh)

THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN (Horner)

BORN IN CHINA (Taylor) -- not released commercially yet

Gorgeous symphonic/chamber landscapes more in the European tradition:

LA TORTUE ROUGE (Del Mar)

MOUNTAIN CRY (Errera)

TALE OF A LAKE (Aaltio)

MIRACLES FROM HEAVEN (Sillioto)

LOVE & FRIENDSHIP (Suozzo) -- also includes a great deal of classical music, though

DEN ALVARSAMME LEKEN (Bye)

"Alternative" stylings:

LAMB (Bernandinelli)

SWISS ARMY MAN (Hull & McDowell)

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN (Elfman)

Great electronically driven scores:

EDDIE THE EAGLE (Margeson)

MADE IN FRANCE (Rob)

THE NEON DEMON (Martinez)

NERVE (Simonsen)

"Ethnically" tinged scores:

JOURNEY TO MECCA (Brook)

YOUNG MESSIAH (Debney)

BILAL - A NEW BREED OF HERO (Örvarsson)

I think or hope most of these are on Spotify.

I have more recommendations, and several more I haven't sampled myself yet (like Elfman's ALICE) -- plus there are still a few months left of the year -- but that's a pretty decent selection of good 2016 scores, IMO.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Too bad, because although I think YOUNG MESSIAH is a fine score, it's not the best on there. Check out Laurent Perez' Del Mar's LA TORTUE ROUGE for starters -- if that doesn't move you, you're made of stone! :)

Or if electronic music is your cup of tea, the marvelous NERVE (Rob Simonsen).

I'll check those out! 

4 hours ago, Skelly said:

There is one really good film score I've listened to that came out within the past year - Lorne Balfe's American Hero. It's very brief, clocking in at just over twenty minutes, but that's all it needs. It establishes the main theme in track one, then spends the rest of the time alternating from melancholic to ecstatic to disappointed to upbeat, and then some. It covers a lot of ground in a brief time, and is highly piano-based. It's nice to hear something a little different from constant blaring synths or aimless orchestral compositions.

Here's a suite Lakeshore Records put together.

It's different from the status quo, but it's just sort of Philip Glass/Ludovico Einaudi type material. And those two write it better. :\ 

Thanks for the suggestion though! 

On 10/15/2016 at 2:57 AM, hornist said:

shit > this place

ROTFLMAO

On 10/16/2016 at 7:36 AM, Jay said:

Film scores I've enjoyed released in the past 12 months

Alan Silvestri - The Walk

Danny Elfman - Goosebumps

Carter Burwell - Carol

John Williams - The Force Awakens

Ennio Morricone - The Hateful Eight

Bear McCreary - 10 Cloverfield Lane

Danny Elfman - Alice Through The Looking Glass

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me 2

John Williams - The BFG
Alexandre Desplat - The Secret Lives of Pets

Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Beyond

Daniel Hart - Pete's Dragon

Dario Marianelli - Kubo and the Two Strings

James Horner / Simon Franglen - The Magnificent Seven

and of course

James Horner - Collage: The Last Work

Finally some positivity! Thanks Jay. 

@Blumenkohl

Has there been any good film music lately?

Dream Country starting here and continuing through the exciting rolling bit. Williams at his very best IMO.

Etc. ;)