Obama's List

A24

So, the world is on the brink of World War III, with good ol' Vlad wreaking havoc in Syria, but thank god the President Of The United States Of America has enough time to tell us which are his favourite films and TV shows!

I wonder which are Putin's favourite films and TV shows. Surely, he must love The Americans.

Behave yourselves and respect the list, folks! The list is good. It thinks of people of me (2001: ASO & Blade Runner) and it doesn't forget of people like you (CE3K & Star Trek). The only odd choice is The Martian. Did he add it to make friends with the Trump voters? Who can say?

Alex

Every time I see one of these lists of a politicians favourite movies/music/tv shows/books I wonder about the aides who put it together, and how much thought went into making sure it was balanced enough with popular favourites, classics, under appreciated gems, etc. 

Obama really likes movies. When he met then-Prime Minister Gordon Brown a few years ago, Brown presented Obama with a one-of-a-kind pen holder assembled from the remains of 19th century ship (bonus points for it being an anti-slavery ship!). Obama in return presented a gift of equal caliber: you know how if you go to Target or Wal-Mart you can find those shitty "4 Film Favorites" where they jam 4 barely-related movies onto one or two DVDs? Obama basically gave that to Brown, except it was 25 movies. All I can say is that I hope they were Region 2 copies.

I think the White House has a movie theater, but it isn't very good because there are no cup holders.

We know he likes The Patriot with Mel Gibson because he used Williams' theme during his 2008 campaign, or at least a shitty synth rendition.

Trump, on the other hand, loves Air Force One with Harrison Ford and uses Goldsmith's theme. The OST recording, not synth.

I imagine Hillary is a Postcards from the Edge and Beaches type of lady.

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Trump is obviously the most manliest!

If by 'manly' you mean 'cultural nitwit' then you're right. I'm sure his favorite movie is ID4.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

If by 'manly' you mean 'cultural nitwit' then you're right. I'm sure his favorite movie is ID4.

Trump using the theme from Air Force One in his campaign is actually hilarious!

Didnt anyone realize how ridiculous that film is?

4 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Mine too!

We also have other things in common in that we don't drink, don't smoke, don't do drugs, and we are very protective of our hair.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Trump using the theme from Air Force One in his campaign is actually hilarious!

Didnt anyone realize how ridiculous that film is?

It's perfectly suited to his mostly satirical presidential campaign.

3 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Every time I see one of these lists of a politicians favourite movies/music/tv shows/books I wonder about the aides who put it together, and how much thought went into making sure it was balanced enough with popular favourites, classics, under appreciated gems, etc. 

Amen.  A hearty yawn to this list. 

23 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

Amen.  A hearty yawn to this list. 

He he he, your feelings are hurt because Obama doesn't list Interstellar. So transparent you are ...

The list was obviously compiled by an aide. Look at the comments "Obama" makes about each film...the most generic, oft-repeated lines about these movies that you'd find in Wiki or any discussion of them.  

This is supposed to be his personal favourites right? If someone asks you why you loved Star Wars, would you say “because it was fun and revolutionized special effects" and of course Star Trek “uses science fiction to promote a humanistic ethic" and Blade Runner "asks what it means to be human." Give me a break.  

Obama simply mentioned his favorites, that's all. Who knows who wrote the text. Could be Wired themselves so they would have a more beefier article. Don't concentrate on the standard text (I know I haven't). That's not the point.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Obama is a Trekkie!

On 10/16/2016 at 10:43 AM, Selina Kyle said:

We know he likes The Patriot with Mel Gibson because he used Williams' theme during his 2008 campaign, or at least a shitty synth rendition.

Well, I know he used it during the victory rally in Grant Park in Chicago. And I don't think it was synth. They also used the Remember the Titans theme, I believe.