The Positive Peter Thread!

But it all ties back to the main story:

Sauron is made responsible for the Orc armies that initiate the Battle of the Five Armies.

Legolas returns Orcrist to Thorin while he's still alive, and also serves as a plot device to keep Thranduil in the loop of the story.

Tauriel is instrumental in the staging of Kili's death (Urgh...).

And I don't think I need to elaborate on Thranduil and Bard's significance to the story.

There are certainly issues with how each storyline is plotted, how it concludes and what part of the story it takes, but I find that it works more than not. Really, the only time where these subplots overwhelm the film are the first half of The Battle of the Five Armies, but that's warranted because our main story is absent: Erebor is taken, Smaug is slain, but Thorin is overcome by dragon sickness, and the company feels kind of lost. In other words, its complementary of our main character's state of mind.

One of the editing choices I like with both later films is that instead of piling the subplots one ontop of the other come the climax (as even great, but less assured filmmakers like Nolan are prone to do), here the subplots are peeled away one by one, so that by the actual climax you're left with just the main story.

14 hours ago, Chen G. said:

You're looking at the wrong bit of source material. Jackson's The Hobbit is an adaptation of "Durin's Folk", first, and of "The Hobbit", second. 

2 hours ago, Chen G. said:

One of the editing choices I like with both later films is that instead of piling the subplots one ontop of the other come the climax (as even great, but less assured filmmakers like Nolan are prone to do), here the subplots are peeled away one by one, so that by the actual climax you're left with just the main story.

fonzie-jumping-the-shark-gif-6.gif

Been listening to the unabridged audiobook of FOTR for the last 2 weeks. 

PJ really did a fantastic job distilling the essence of Fellowship Of The Ring and make it incredibly cinematic, something the book most definitely isnt.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Been listening to the unabridged audiobook of FOTR for the last 2 weeks. 

PJ really did a fantastic job distilling the essence of Fellowship Of The Ring and make it incredibly cinematic, something the book most definitely isnt.

The Dutch version? Or English? Or the original Klingon?

I do not even know if there's a Dutch audiobook. But if there is it will never reach my ears.

The old 90's version read by Simon Ingles.

Today Fangorn rose to counter the treat of Isengard. And Thengel's son was healed from the poisening whispers and subtle potions of Wormtongue, and took up his ancient sword.

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I do not even know if there's a Dutch audiobook. But if there is it will never reach my ears.

The old 90's version read by Simon Ingles.

I think it's Rob Inglis. I'm actually surprised, given how much LOTR's popularity has surged (these were recorded before the films) that they haven't put out a new audiobook edition with someone like McKellen reading, but really the Inglis ones are perfectly wonderful, I've listened to these many times. He even sings the songs/poems!

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

I think it's actually Rob Inglis. I'm actually surprised, given how much LOTR's popularity has surged (these were recorded before the films) that they haven't put out a new audiobook edition with someone like McKellen reading, but really the Inglis ones are perfectly wonderful, I've listened to these many times. He even sings the songs/poems!

Yes, its very well done. The general tone between scolary and rustic.