"Theme From Jurassic Park" featured in Swiss Army Man

mrbellamy

So I watched Swiss Army Man the other day and got a kick out of the fact that the Jurassic Park theme plays a strange recurring role in the bonding between Paul Dano's stranded islander and the talking, farting corpse he encounters played by Daniel Radcliffe...sung onscreen by the characters a few times throughout and gets a rendition on the soundtrack. 

Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere and I figured this deserved its own thread as one of the most bizarre tributes Williams has ever had. :lol:

Yeah, I believe I've mentioned this score elsewhere. I saw the film about a week ago, after having missed the screening in Cannes back in May.

When I got the soundtrack a few months back, it quickly became one of my favourites of the year -- gorgeous vocal harmonies by the actors, as well as some other elements. The JP cameo was a nice surprise.

While I didn't quite "get" the quirky tone of the film (I have a problem with quirk in general, unless it's Tim Burton), it was interesting to hear the music in context. The JP theme is used as a kind of leitmotif, although it only appears 2-3 times -- first as the survivor hums the theme to the dead Radcliffe, but then later in a gorgeous sequence; a re-enactment of the survivor's first romantic encounter with his believed girlfriend. It has nothing whatsoever to do with dinosaurs; it's purely a love theme. :) This is the version you hear on the soundtrack.

Yeah, that was a memorable sequence. They actually did use it quite well, the movie in general was more sweet and sincere in tone than I expected. I don't know that I was 100% on board with all of it but given how many directions they could have taken this premise and how horribly it all could have gone, it ultimately won me over. Dano and Radcliffe were a really entertaining pair if nothing else.

For someone who grew up on 80s Williams, I keep forgetting how popular the Jurassic Park theme is for so many people.  It really hits a button for a ton of folks, and it's way more popular that I think I realized.

• 5 months later...