The Joe Kraemer Thread

Jay

Wrong guy won! Nothing against Kraemer, but I didn't care for his M:I score. The prize should have gone to Margeson instead, for his EDDIE THE EAGLE. But at least Bear McCreary didn't win, which is a comfort -- it would have been bizarre to give a 'discovery' award to what is basically a veteran composer by now.

He recently wrote a new score to the 1927 silent film Sunrise, and it premiered live yesterday in Dallas

https://www.dcsymphony.org/concert-tickets/2016-17-season-schedule/sunrise/

https://www.dcsymphony.org/news/sunrise-song-two-humans-new-score-joe-kraemer-premieres-oct-18th/

Would like to hear that one

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Thanks for your valuable contribution to this thread :rolleyes:

Well, exQUEEEEZE me if this was only about congratulating Kraemer. I thought we could also discuss the award/WSA itself.

I actually think the WSA had some good nominations this year (unusual for them); in most categories, anyway, and except for some odd choices (like McCreary for 'discovery'). Thankfully no Desplat; it had become somewhat of a parody of him being nominated and winning every year -- regardless of what one thinks of him.

Alas, I couldn't come myself this year. :(

• 1 month later...

Wow!  There's some new Kraemer music on this website here:

http://coolmusicltd.com/composers/joe-kraemer/

The "Villain Theme" track is outstanding!!

Hey, the end of Pervenire reminds me of Princess Leia's Theme concert arrangement...

I enjoyed those tracks.  I honestly don't understand why he doesn't get more scoring gigs.  I've really enjoyed his sound in Way of the Gun, Reacher and Rouge Nation.  I hope he continues to get more exposure, I want to own more soundtracks with his credit on the artwork.

Joe posted on Facebook what the tracks are:

I have an album coming out in January with Audio Network that contains 10 tracks I've written for symphony orchestra.

I'll be buying that!

And yes, I hope he gets more gigs.  A James Bond film and a Star Wars spinoff, please!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kramer is a seriously talented composer with proper orchestrational flare. Don't take him down, he is a fan and a seriously good guy. Support all he does - Comdrad Detektiv is great but it means that Joe is working Channing Tatum and Joe Gordon Levitt. He is a good guy and he needs a break outside of Christopher McQuarrie and Mad Tom. And he is a motherfucker of a composer. Just listen to Solomon Lane.

• 3 weeks later...

Audio Network currently has a special trial offer allowing you to download any ten tracks for free (in WAV format, no less).  All you have to do is provide an email address.

Ugh, my mistake.  The "free trial" tracks are not in WAV format, but low-quality mp3s, basically what you can get from the site already.  Sorry for the false alarm.

There are a few library music labels that put all their stuff up for regular sale to the public, but they're a rarity.

And because Audio Network is independent, you can't just make an account and download anything you want. The labels covered by PRS (or similar) let you download wavs to your heart's content - you only pay when you use something.

On 8/15/2017 at 2:26 PM, Jay said:

Joe has scored a new Amazon original TV series called Comrad Detective:

Got to see a couple of episodes of this today. I'd forgotten Kraemer had scored it so that was an awesome surprise! 

It's great stuff. Very similar to his Rogue Nation score. All orchestral with groovy action writing and classic suspense stings. It's mixed very well in the show. Too bad it hasn't been released on CD or digital. The show itself (Cold War-era satire) is mildly humorous, although it's not something I'm dying to watch again. 

• 9 months later...

I saw the top of the poster first, and thought to myself, "Huh, I've never seen Larry Miller in a drama before."  Then I scrolled down and saw the title, haha.

On 8/15/2017 at 9:29 PM, Disco Stu said:

Has he been confirmed for M:I6?  I'm assuming, but don't want to take it for granted.

On 8/15/2017 at 9:30 PM, Jay said:

Not that I've seen, but I don't think there's a reason to think he won't score it

Remnants of a more innocent time... :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There are some links with a little more info on Sunrise here

On 10/19/2016 at 10:27 PM, Jay said:

He recently wrote a new score to the 1927 silent film Sunrise, and it premiered live yesterday in Dallas

https://www.dcsymphony.org/concert-tickets/2016-17-season-schedule/sunrise/

https://www.dcsymphony.org/news/sunrise-song-two-humans-new-score-joe-kraemer-premieres-oct-18th/

Would like to hear that one

There's even a little video online about it

https://www.wfaa.com/video/news/sneak-peek-29th-annual-dallas-videofest/287-2394757

The SoundCloud clip sounds great (even if the volume is too low). I'm very intrigued by this project, as a longtime fan of the silent film (and also bits and pieces of Kraemer's work).

I've been waiting for this. Joe Kraemer conducted a suite in Baden a few weeks ago, and during the intermission he mentioned that a CD recording was coming out soon. It's lovely music - he called it his favourite of his own works. If everything goes well, there should be more LTP performances ahead.

I ordered from Screen Archives. Hopefully I get a signed copy! :D

I'd be very interested to see how the music would work in the film. Would be a cool project to edit the music in to the film.