The Joe Kraemer Thread

Jay

Fans of genre music scores check out my podcast with film composer Joe Kraemer (Way of the Gun, Jack Reacher, Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation and many, many more). He tells me about writing music for film and in particular the score he wrote for 2018 movie: THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT ... It stars Sam Elliott and is a truly wonderful film... It's very much on the film festival circuit and up coming dates are in the show notes

Stream it here http://britflicks.com/blog.aspx?blogid=24162

Download it here https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/man-who-killed-hitler-then-bigfoot-w-composer-joe-kraemer/id724955683?i=1000419298321&mt=2

Feedback welcomed

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I thought the score was going to get a digital release, but I can't find one online anywhere?

Maybe LLL will be doing a physical release?  It's a great score, easily my second favorite of his after Rogue Nation.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Maybe LLL will be doing a physical release?  It's a great score, easily my second favorite of his after Rogue Nation.

It'd be great to see LLL release this, yeah! And I agree with you completely on the last point: I loved Rogue Nation.

OOOOOOOOOOOHH!!!!!!!!!

“The Man Who Killed Hitler and then the Bigfoot” is now playing on Amazon iTunes and other VOD outlets HERE, with Joe Kraemer’s score available soon on La La Land Records.

Yes!

• 1 month later...

TheManWhoKilledHitlerAndThenTheBigFoot__

1 Barr's Theme 1:13
2 The Man Who Killed Hitler 3:32
3The Tent Sequence 7:22
4 The Hat Shop 2:57
5 Barr's Tale 3:10
6 European Trek 6:18
7 Brothers 2:17
8 One Last Mission 1:57
9 Letters from Home 3:12
10 Chase Through the Forest 2:15
11 The Mountain 3:17
12 The Last Night 5:35
13 And Then the Bigfoot 2:04
14 Resolution 2:30
15 Finale and End Credits 9:15

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/1459667830

https://play.google.com/store/music/album?id=B6eqnmgwhasmvgeuziiscwcbt4i

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QL9QHV3

Doesn't seem to be on Spotify though.....

Physical CD edition from La-La Land features one extra bonus track

1 Barr’s Theme (1:13)
2 The Man Who Killed Hitler (3:33)
3 The Tent Sequence (7:22)
4 The Hat Shop (2:58)
5 Barr’s Tale (3:11)
6 European Trek (6:19)
7 Brothers (2:18)
8 One Last Mission (1:57)
9 Letters From Home (3:12)
10 Chase Through The Forest (2:16)
11 The Mountain (3:18)
12 Coming Home* (2:47)
13 The Last Night (5:36)
14 And Then The Bigfoot (2:05)
15 Resolution (2:31)
16 Finale And End Credits (9:15)
Total Time 59:52
* CD exclusive track

https://lalalandrecords.com/man-who-killed-hitler-and-then-the-bigfoot-the/

• 4 weeks later...

Guys, give this score a chance because it's lovely, imho. Kraemer is certainly a great Williams fan--lots of little homages all throughout (listen to the cue "Brothers" and tell me if I'm not right) :)

"The Man Who Killed Hitler" track reminds me of The Arena from Attack of the Clones

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a new audio interview with Mr Kraemer conduced by Maurizio Caschetto!

22 hours ago, TownerFan said:

Here's the new installment of the "Legacy Conversations" series: the new episode features an engaging and wide-ranging interview with film composer Joe Kraemer (Jack Reacher, Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation, The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then The Bigfoot), who talks about being inspired by the music of John Williams since childhood and how it led him to a career as a film composer in Hollywood:

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2019/06/10/joe-kraemer-podcast/

On 4/19/2019 at 1:51 AM, Koray Savas said:

I got my CD today. Thought I missed out on the signed booklets since I waited so long to order. Either Kraemer signed a lot of these or it isn’t selling too well. 

Got mine last week and still got a signed booklet.

On 5/13/2019 at 3:20 PM, TownerFan said:

Guys, give this score a chance because it's lovely, imho. Kraemer is certainly a great Williams fan--lots of little homages all throughout (listen to the cue "Brothers" and tell me if I'm not right) :)

Spacecamp :thumbup:

• 5 months later...

The Man Who Killed Hitler and then The Bigfoot got a runner-up mention in Film Music Mag's Best of 2019 list

THE MAN WHO KILLED HITLER AND THEN THE BIGFOOT
(Joe Kraemer / La La Land Records)

Clipboard6-1.jpg

Since his violently eccentric work on “Way of the Gun,” Joe Kraemer has scored no end of oddball projects, whether it was the Russian cop show spoof “Comrade Detective” or retro adventures in madcap indie directing for “King Cohen.” Now given this seemingly outlandish tale of a grizzled veteran who notched up a notorious dictator and monster, one might not expect Kraemer to apply the kind of somberness he gave to his score for the seen-it-all veteran called “Jack Reacher.” Yet it’s through this proficient “Man” of action’s age that Kraemer finds unexpected lyricism with music that’s far more about a lifetime of regret than it is finishing off two nightmarish subjects. It’s a theme of being in the twilight years that results in any number of poignantly beautiful Americana orchestral melodies. With strings, winds and piano at their most sympathetically delicate, Kraemer gives Sam Elliott, an actor who personifies the west (even when he isn’t in it) the kind of career-summing melancholy valentine that might accompany a cowboy into the sunset, – though militaristic excitement and pulse-pounding adventure is well on hand as the tall tales end up being down to earth indeed. That writer-director Robert D. Krzykowski takes an utterly serious approach to “Bigfoot” allows Kraemer’s oft times magical approach to wrap up this soldier’s life with touching symphonic uplift, making us believe in the lyrical possibility of a happy ending indeed.

http://www.filmmusicmag.com/?p=20072

Nice to see his work talked about without mentioning MI5!

• 1 month later...

The latest Joe Kraemer album is out:

Pandora_Cover-Web.jpg

PANDORA: SEASON ONE LLLCD 1523
Music by Joe Kraemer and Penka Kouneva
RETAIL PRICE: $15.98

STARTS SHIPPING JAN 31

Order starting at 12 noon (pst) on 1/28 at www.lalalandrecords.com and get your CD cover insert signed by composers Joe Kraemer and Penka Kouneva at no additional charge. Autographs are available only while supplies last and are NOT guaranteed.

STARTS SHIPPING JAN 31

La-La Land Records proudly presents PANDORA: SEASON ONE, the original television soundtrack to the acclaimed first season of the hit sci-fi series PANDORA, airing on The CW, and starring Priscilla Quintana, Oliver Dench and Raechelle Banno. Renowned composers Joe Kraemer (JACK REACHER, MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE ROUGE NATION) and Penka Kouneva (ENCOUNTER), create an astounding musical universe for this imaginative series which takes place in a futuristic 2199, where the students of Earth’s Space Training Academy find themselves dealing with everything from extra-terrestrial invaders, crime lords, political subterfuge and more, to their own inter-personal relationships.

It’s a vast universe of drama, thrills, wonder and action, and composers Kraemer/Kouneva meet this challenge with a first season full of dynamic and varied scores – the highlights of which are represented on this knockout presentation!

Produced by Joe Kraemer and mastered by James Nelson, this CD release features exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Daniel Schweiger, taking you behind the show and its music, with comments from the composers and series creator, Mark A. Altman. The stellar art design is by Mark Banning.

TRACK LISTING:

1. Attack on New Portland (4:14)
2. Atria and the Seeker (5:09)
3. The Parallax View (3:12)
4. Pilar Navigates the Datastream (4:54)
5. Mischief and Melancholy (4:27)
6. The Protectors (4:37)
7. Ralen of Zatar (5:07)
8. Mission Jindoo (5:15)
9. Escaping the Protectors (3:07)
10. The Hyapatia Syndicate (4:08)
11. Welcome to the Future (4:44)
12. Heroics and Heartaches (5:46)
13. Infected Outpost (4:57)
14. Jax’s Sorrow (5:40)
15. The Battle for Earth (2:42)
16. The Final Reflection (3:11)
Total Time 71:48

Direct order:

https://lalalandrecords.com/pandora-season-one/

Samples:

1. Attack on New Portland (4:14)
6. The Protectors (4:37)
9. Escaping the Protectors (3:07)
13. Infected Outpost (4:57)
15. The Battle for Earth (2:42)

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

IMO it would be nice if they credited on the website which cues were by Kraemer and which by Kouneva....

Yavar

• 8 months later...
On 10/19/2016 at 5:16 PM, Thor said:

Wrong guy won! Nothing against Kraemer, but I didn't care for his M:I score. The prize should have gone to Margeson instead, for his EDDIE THE EAGLE. But at least Bear McCreary didn't win, which is a comfort -- it would have been bizarre to give a 'discovery' award to what is basically a veteran composer by now.

WOW! I absolutely LOVED his M:I score! Great use of the original motifs from the TV series, in my opinion. 

On 10/29/2020 at 5:10 PM, Dr. Know said:

Joe has a new production library album on Audio Network UK, "Come to the Rescue."  Unfortunately, the individual tracks cost $10 to purchase.

https://www.audionetwork.com/browse/m/album/come-to-the-rescue_3425

Battle At Sea - super fun, sounds like an unused prequel trilogy pan down from the stars and opening action cue.  Even has kinds of The Arena from AOTC

Army of Villains - Cool take on the bridge section of the Imperial March, and hints of March of the Resistance too

Into The Sunset - Ha!  A fun take on The Cowboys

In Love With The Damsel - Lovely love theme

Museum Chase - Fun action cue, sort of a blend of his MI5 action sound and Desert Chase from Raiders

Arrival At The Homestead - Very lovely!

A Colorado Rhapsody - Fun, starts out like the Raiders March then reminded me more of City Slickers

Come To The Rescue - A fun wrap-up track!

• 2 months later...

A very bleak, insider look at the industry:

"This is a sad truth for everyone trying to make it in show business - it is virtually impossible for people who are neither born into money or born into the business.  And it IS a business - money is the bottom line.  As one very successful producer recently told me "Joe, no one gives a shit about your art".  I can count the number of mainstream Hollywood composers that I KNOW write all their music themselves on one hand, John Williams being the most famous example.  Everyone else is a team leader, a figurehead for a team of composers who are getting no credit, very little money, and no job security.  None of us have any job security anyway.  One of my closest friends made a deal behind my back that swindled me out of hundreds of thousands of dollars and then dumped me for a Zimling and this was after assuring me that working for him/her was the same as having a "savings bond". In 2010, having This is not a pity-party for me.  This is just a reality check for people who dream of scoring movies in Hollywood: It is a cutthroat community of people who are in the business to get rich and famous.  Writing music of any quality is secondary to that ultimate goal. score "The Way of The Gun" and close to 40 TV movies for the Hallmark Channel, I was so broke I had to sell my CDs and DVDs to feed my son. And keep in mind, being an artist is not a civil right - no one owes me anything, even the ex-friend who swindled me.  Making art is a hobby, and if we can manage to make some money from it, so much the better. I promise to always do my best to write all the music in anything I score myself, and if I don't, to properly credit the people who co-write with me (i.e. to the film in a meaningful way.  These promises have definitely impeded progress in my career - I haven't scored a single mainstream Hollywood movie since 'Rogue Nation'.  But I also haven't ripped anyone off, or swindled my friends, or presented a false impression. I promise not to hire an 'assistant' who is really a ghost-writer.  I promise to do my best not to just copy the temp, but to contribute of myself to directors, producers, or studio execs.  To the OP, Nadia, thank you for sharing your story.  There are a lot of hard truths that need to be shown to those who hope to join this business.  I think often of a quote once heard, spoken by one of the cinema's greatest composers:  "I got into this business to make a living.  Now people get into it to make a killing."  In closing, let me reiterate, this is not whining - this is a tough business, and it's not for the faint of heart to undertake. It can be wonderfully rewarding, but it is also impossibly challenging.  I hope it can evolve to a community that helps each other rather than competes with each other."

• 1 month later...

I listened to it once so far and found some nice stuff.  I haven't had time to go back to it yet

• 1 month later...

I couldn’t find the official “Joe Kraemer” thread. Was this shared already?

He’s a talented guy for sure. But this entire album is an odd mutation of John Williams work. First track is a hodgepodge of “attack on Jakku” and “Jungle Chase”  for example. It’s kind of a “name that tune I listened to before writing this” game. Very odd. Even a few mangled snippets from “The Cowboys Oveture” pops up in one of these. 

This already get discussed?

4 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I couldn’t find the official “Joe Kraemer” thread

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/26756-the-joe-kraemer-thread

4 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I posted my thoughts here

32 minutes ago, WampaRat said:

I couldn’t find the official “Joe Kraemer” thread. Was this shared already?

He’s a talented guy for sure. But this entire album is an odd mutation of John Williams work. First track is a hodgepodge of “attack on Jakku” and “Jungle Chase”  for example. It’s kind of a “name that tune I listened to before writing this” game. Very odd. Even a few mangled snippets from “The Cowboys Oveture” pops up in one of these. 

I was about to post about how 'WTAF?!' I was about the blatant copying, but then followed Jay's link and was reminded that this is from a library album. This is sort of the whole point of many library albums - imitating existing works really closely, for productions that want a very genuine 'soundtrack' sound but can't pay for the original.  It's quite likely that Audio Network asked him explicitly to compose an album that sounds exactly like JW's scores.

There appears to be a new Kraemer score out: 

Sounds (at least to me) like it was done with sample libraries rather than live orchestra though...