William's least restrained, most over-scored film ever?

TheUlyssesian

3 hours ago, Sharkus Malarkus said:

I thought there were a number of music-free scenes, more so in the first act dealing with the forest fire where SS's going for a more naturalistic feel.

Always is very restrained.

14 hours ago, Romão said:

There are some wonderful moments in Hook that I would consider restrained. The first half of Remembering Childhood and Farewell Neverland

Yeah. They are relatively few, but there are smaller moments of intimacy peppered through the score. And moments that are more ominous or more elegiac. It's very restrained in the early scenes in the film, appropriately becoming larger once entering Neverland. 

19 hours ago, Incanus said:

I thought the opening pitch perfect with the flute solo but the busy music for Joey and the rest of the horses frolicing in the meadow that follows is too hyperactive for its own good. The opening third is a bit too overscored but the spotting improves during the rest of the film.

But the whole score makes for a brilliant listening experience because of its exuberant nature. I still consider Homecoming as one of the absolute classic JW end title tracks that has such wonderful flow and spirit to it as it spins from one theme to the next with such fluid ease.

Yeah the flute solo is a wonderful introduction to the movie and the score but all those busy strings really ruin the moment. As you say, its hyperactive music. 

16 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think the Hook score could be adapted into a Peter Pan ballet aimed at a mass audience (a la The Nutcracker).

Yes! Someone should do that. And I think the same can be said for the BFG. 

So the unrestrained stingers were not composed by him. Wheh! We dodged a bullet there!

11 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

It's just one moment and I'm not even sure Williams wrote it but the stingers at 2:45 are hilariously over the top.

Heh, reminds me of the fist-punching music from Temple of Doom :D :

(beginning and at 0:50)

Though in that case it sounds more deliberately comical, and works really well IMO!

I think the War Horse OST is great JW music to listen to on it's own. The whole album is a fantastic listening experience. I love the lush, full string writing, the numerous themes, and all the musical development of those short themes throughout the album. It's become one of my favorite JW albums.

But in the film itself, I still find the music to be overbearing. There's too much of it in general and it's way too hyperactive. But on it's own, the music is great JW stuff.

On 10/27/2016 at 0:42 PM, Tom said:

"least restrained" and "overscored" are two very different concepts.  Why make it a loaded question with both? 

Loaded questions always beget the most revealing unsuspecting answers. : D

10 hours ago, artguy360 said:

I think the War Horse OST is great JW music to listen to on it's own. The whole album is a fantastic listening experience. I love the lush, full string writing, the numerous themes, and all the musical development of those short themes throughout the album. It's become one of my favorite JW albums.

But in the film itself, I still find the music to be overbearing. There's too much of it in general and it's way too hyperactive. But on it's own, the music is great JW stuff.

I completely agree with all of this

Yep, same. I do think there are some great in-film moments, but even the effect of an exciting sequence like "No Man's Land" is diminished somewhat because the music pretty much always feels that big. At the same time, the solo trumpet call when Joey escapes in "The Charge and Capture" or the "Remembering Emilie" piano solo are almost more effective because the score rarely underplays like that elsewhere.

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

True that is score is very unrestrained, but I love it and think it's totally effective. All 3 films in the JW/Oliver Stone trilogy are overbearing in nature, with big themes, visual hysteria (look at his editing style), and big performances. In my view, JW wasn't being overbearing, he was matching the tone of Stone's film. I'm kind of amazed that JW was able to find the right musical language to match Stone's sense of extreme melodrama.