THE OMEN: 40th Anniversary Edition

Original Motion Picture Soundtrack 
Jerry Goldsmith

UPC: VCL10161175
Release Date: 10/24/2016

Limited Edition of 3000 copies
Shipping starts on Oct 24th

$ 19.98

This year marks a big anniversary for an epic and historic film and score.

It’s hard to believe but The Omen (1976), was released 40 years ago.

It’s also hard to believe that our previous “Deluxe Edition” of Jerry Goldsmith’s Academy Award-winning score came out 15 years ago to celebrate the film’s 25th anniversary. But here we are. While The Deluxe Edition was indeed significantly expanded from the original soundtrack album release, this score’s biggest fans still missed a few cues and for this new, 40th Anniversary edition we have added an additional six previously unreleased cues, including the unused “It’s All For You.” The entire score has also been newly remastered and we have added a special bonus track featuring Diego Navarro conducting “The Omen Suite” from the 2009 Fimucité tribute to Jerry Goldsmith. An epic release of Jerry Goldsmith’s Oscar-winning masterpiece!

U.S. ambassador (Gregory Peck) switches his wife's (Lee Remick) baby with an orphaned boy when their child is stillborn. As the boy grows, disaster surrounds him, beginning with the suicide of his nanny, and as the bodies pile up, his horrified father begins to suspect the boy is evil incarnate and must be destroyed. The Omen was directed by Richard Donner (Superman: The Movie, The Goonies).

Tracklist
1. Ave Satani (2:34) 
2. On This Night (2:35)
3. The New Ambassador (2:35) 
4. Where Is He? (0:55)
5. Fatal Fall / It’s All For You (0:42) †
6. The Dog (0:24) †
7. I Was There (2:24) 
8. Have No Fear (0:36) †
9. Broken Vows (2:12) 
10. Safari Park (3:21)
11. A Doctor, Please (1:43) 
12. She’ll Die (1:43) †
13. The Killer Storm (2:55) 
14. The Fall (3:45)
15. Don’t Let Him (2:48) 
16. The Day He Died (2:14)
17. Father Spiletto (1:09) †
18. The Dogs Attack (5:53)
19. Mother’s Death (0:48) †
20. A Sad Message (1:44)
21. Beheaded (1:48) 
22. The Bed (1:08) 
23. 666 (0:46) 
24. The Demise Of Mrs. Baylock (2:54) 
25. The Altar (2:04) 
26. The Piper Dreams (2:39)

Bonus Track: 

27. The Omen Suite - Diego Navarro, Tenerife Film Orchestra (10:52)

†World Premiere Release

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/the-omen-40th-anniversary-edition

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Still no film version of The Altar? Ah, well. It's one of my favourite Goldsmiths so ordered it along with Abzu.

Karol

Perhaps the cue is truly lost forever.

I thought for the film version they just tracked in "Don't Let Him"?

This should show where everything belongs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19EmaHJccotmN1prBkX78PN2uvRyrfKWBGSkZ4-aoMgU/pubhtml

Well I was just going by what the liner notes of the previous set say. I am sure you guys know the film better as I have seen it but once.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

I thought for the film version they just tracked in "Don't Let Him"?

This should show where everything belongs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19EmaHJccotmN1prBkX78PN2uvRyrfKWBGSkZ4-aoMgU/pubhtml

And yet the isolated score doesn't have this cue either.

What about the funeral source?

Either way, I'm happy cause this needed a sound update anyway.

EDIT: It just shipped .

Karol

You think the sound will be significantly improved?

Although I'm generally fond of expansions, I actually think The Omen probably worked better in its album sequencing. Either that or I'd just played it to death already by the time the DE came out. Still, this has new music, so of course I'll get it.

• 3 months later...

Hope you guys don't mind me bumping this thread but I've only received this edition yesterday and so I was really interested to check out what everybody here thought about it, however I see that the discussion wasn't very long. :P I'm over at my girlfriend's for a few days so I unfortunately don't have the 2001 VS edition at hand, but as best I can remember, the liner notes in the new edition are more or less a direct copy-paste of those from 2001, even carelessly done to the point that Townson keeps claiming that "one of the film's most memorable musical moments is presented here for the first time", whereupon he starts describing the Broken Vows cue, which was of course already included on the 2001 release. Some minor additions are admittedly present but mostly limited to one or two sentences about the six cues that have now been made available for the first time. At the end, there is a box describing the bonus track (The Omen Suite performed at Fimucité 2 in Tenerife in 2009) but the fact that "the entire score has also been newly remastered" as advertised on the VS website is never mentioned which is obviously a big mistake.

So my general impression is that VS apparently put this together somewhat hastily and carelessly, maybe they spent a lot of time on locating additional cues and the complete remastering job and consequently ran out of time to do the liners. The least I would have expected for the 40th anniversary limited edition (the 2001 edition was "deluxe" but not limited) of such an important and landmark score is to be treated to a completely new or at least extensively rewritten liner notes with deeper discussion about the new remaster and its comparison to the 2001 version.

All things considered, this is a somewhat disappointing, but of course still the best edition of The Omen there is, and as such a must-have for any serious collector, most of all for those who are not even in possession of the 2001 edition.

On November 1, 2016 at 1:42 PM, crocodile said:

Got my disc today. Liner notes still say that film version of The Altar is lost as is the film version of The Dog.

Karol

Does that mean that the album versions are used for the isolated score?

• 3 weeks later...

The film version of "The Altar" is tracked from "Don't Let Him".

The film version of "The Dog" (that odd synth sound which does not ring like Goldsmith, but like source music) is lost, but luckily we now have the original Goldsmith cue.

"Dog on Patrol" is lost. You can hear the sound effects on the isolated score. But it was tried to suppress them, for the cue rings very muffled on the isolated score.

The only thing VS did not care about was to swap the main title and the end title. Annoyingly they spared all expenses to put the score into right order.

All in all, this release could have been more delighting, but VS couldn't always help it.

• 4 months later...

Although no longer than mere 36 seconds, Have No Fear is definitely the best newly released track. Really chilling, too. Too bad that The Dog cue isn't actually the sound effect used for the menacing rottweiler (e.g. when the ill-fated nanny sees him before commiting suicide by hanging at 12:20 and when Damien himself sees it afterwards at 14:10).

"Mother's Death" is also a highlight of the unreleased stuff. In the film it was trimmed down, for Goldsmith went too far.

"It's All for You" gave me the chills when I first listened to it. I think a wind machine was used to support the shocking effect.