Rogue One: The Imperial March vs. ANH Imperial Motif

Manakin Skywalker

Rogue One: The Imperial March vs. ANH Imperial Motif  

28 members have voted

1. 1. In Rogue One, which would you rather represent the Empire? The Imperial March, or the original Imperial motif from 1977?

• The Imperial March
    • 1977 Motif
    • Both

Where is the option for both?

I'd be write fine with it being the Imperial March for the majority of it.

But I'd definitely appreciate some use for ye olde motif too. Would be a nice nod!

Yes to both of those. Giacchino is known for leitmotif pedantry and interplay, including of existing motifs (see Speed Racer, The Lost World game and Jurassic World) but I wouldn't get any hopes up.

My hope (foolish) is that we'd just hear the 1977 Imperial theme.  The Imperial March works great with Vader in a space navy/military setting, and the recently wrapped 25 issue series of Darth Vader comics have done a good job of establishing his rise to that position between his failure in SW and his grand entrance in ESB.

However, we'll absolutely hear The Imperial March.  So the question is: will we hear both?  The average moviegoer would not be able to pick out the 1977 motif out, I'd wager, but Giacchino is reverential of Star Wars so I'd think he'd be aware of it and try.

If Disney consented to some guy named John Williams sullying TFA by quoting the opening of "Talk of Podracing," surely they'll let God's Precious Angel Michael Giacchino reference a recurring motif from one of the biggest movies of all time.