Your JW elevator pitch piece

Cumulonimbus

So there is someone interested in your musical preferences for a very short moment, you have your mp3 player/phone closeby and this is your single moment to show them why you love John Williams. Maybe he just mentioned something like 'I dont know I think Hans Zimmer is wayyy better' and that gets you frustrated...

Which piece do you pick to let the person listen to to make your point that John Williams is superior?

For me it is Rey's Theme since this winter, before that it was Where Dreams are Born from A.I.

Let me know! :)

I saw it more as if the person who you want to persuade does not know any film music, he just likes the movies where the name Hans Zimmer pops up (because that name pops up alot nowadays). Though if he does know some John Williams already, then yes, these kind of musical parts are a nice choice.

Oh, well in that case I'd personally pick this for bombast:

Or this for calmness:

Or this for quirkiness:

(I wish the original version of this march were on YT...)

Depends on the person, which choice I'd pick! :D

Are you recommending based on what YOU love about Williams, or what you think the other guy would like? Huge difference there. If it's the latter, I would first need to ask him about his musical taste and stuff.

But if I were to just pick a personal favourite, it would be a representative of the 'religious sound' I love so much -- something like "Angela's Prayer" from ANGELA'S ASHES or "You are the Pan" from HOOK.

It would surely be the music begining from when Eliot takes the bicycle in the forest to the point when he seemingly falls off the cliff to when he rises and rides along the moon.  That is just beautiful tremendous music.

And as bonus, i might consider showing that person the clip itself to show what john williams music can do to a scene. 

I have no idea what "my favorite" Williams piece is -- I like so many, and I also have much more of his music to discover. 

However, when I saw this thread this morning I thought it would be an interesting opportunity to discuss what JW cues are most "accessible" -- enjoyable on first listen. 

Because I wouldn't want to play someone "Rey's Theme" or "Dream Country" or "Soundings." I love all of those, particularly the latter two, but I don't think they'd be particularly enjoyable on first listen.

I might play the person this (a moment I still marvel at even after many listens; it's JW at his very, very best):

I remember once I was playing the War Horse OST rather loudly from the CD player in the kitchen and during this moment my mom, who is not a film music fan and whose favorite music is disco and such, remarked on how great and beautiful the score was. 

This might also be a good choice:

I would absolutely not play anything action-y or particularly subtle. It has to hit with one listen. 

The "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" (particularly some of the TV cues, as opposed to the concert version) would also be a good choice. They'd probably have already heard it, perhaps more subconsciously, so they might be more receptive. 

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Particularly if they are a fan of pop music! (well, perhaps more older pop music, although even today's, I suppose)! There's a very clear "dance beat."

48 minutes ago, Will said:

Particularly if they are a fan of pop music! (well, perhaps more older pop music, although even today's, I suppose)! There's a very clear "dance beat."

Or if they're into hip-hop, they might enjoy this!

7 hours ago, Will said:

I have no idea what "my favorite" Williams piece is -- I like so many, and I also have much more of his music to discover. 

However, when I saw this thread this morning I thought it would be an interesting opportunity to discuss what JW cues are most "accessible" -- enjoyable on first listen. 

Because I wouldn't want to play someone "Rey's Theme" or "Dream Country" or "Soundings." I love all of those, particularly the latter two, but I don't think they'd be particularly enjoyable on first listen.

I might play the person this (a moment I still marvel at even after many listens; it's JW at his very, very best):

I remember once I was playing the War Horse OST rather loudly from the CD player in the kitchen and during this moment my mom, who is not a film music fan and whose favorite music is disco and such, remarked on how great and beautiful the score was. 

This might also be a good choice:

I would absolutely not play anything action-y or particularly subtle. It has to hit with one listen. 

The "Olympic Fanfare and Theme" (particularly some of the TV cues, as opposed to the concert version) would also be a good choice. They'd probably have already heard it, perhaps more subconsciously, so they might be more receptive. 

Yes I indeed ment to discuss the accessible cues, plowing is beautiful and Jurassic park theme actually worked for my girlfriend (who is not into film or classical music).

Maybe Prologue from Hook also, which may be one of his best under 2 min piece. Or Buckbeaks flight, just thought of it!