What other genres of music do you listen to?

JacksonElmore

Except for a few occasions, I rarely meet people who really invest time in analyzing film scores like i do. It consumes more time than i think, but i still listen to a lot of other genres of music.  So i'm wondering, what else do you guys listen to? I am into a lot of rock, like pink floyd and zepplin but i also kinda like some old school hip hop and shit like that. I'v in the past liked some ambient artists like william baskinski, and "earth."

Btw, i feel like this might be a repeat thread and if so, my bad...I haven't seen this question asked before

I've been discovering a lot of random new music on Spotify lately, but no particular genre, and not enough to find new fandom.

My primary non-soundtrack artists (I pay more attention to their new releases than most film composers) are Ludovico Einaudi, Mimi Page, Lorde and Lana Del Rey.

I also listen to a lot of production music that I've discovered during my travels to locate music from various TV shows.

2 hours ago, Prerecorded Briefing said:

"Classical" music, prog rock, folk rock, swing and modal jazz, Berlin school electronica, ambient, 90s radio pop, etc.

32 minutes ago, Teddy 3000 said:

Classical, post-punk, new wave, dark wave, dream pop, industrial, old school hip-hop, future house, high life, psy-trance, garage, modal and ECM jazz, chillout, ambient, world music. Phew!

Never got behind the super specific classification thing. I like something from all genres of music.

I love love love love love the Aquabats. They're this 90's ska band with their own mythology and stuff. They have the most high energy shows ever. Around the turn of the century they turned into this new wave/punk band. Hard to explain. In 2012 they made their own television show. Great tv show. If I'm not listening to the Aquabats, I'll listen to new wave or the Beatles or Queen or something. 

Ooooh, where to start? It's probably easier for me to list the things I DON'T care for. But some favourite genres include:

old-school rock'n'roll  (from Elvis to Creedence)

prog rock (mostly 70s, but also some 80s)

psychedelia

symphonic rock

art rock

80s synthpop

electronica pioneers

goa/psytrance

ambient

house

...in fact, most electronica in general

classical (in all forms and shapes -- from medieval lute music to 19th century programmatic music to contemporary modernism)

certain types of jazz

musicals (mostly contemporary or Disney)

60s surf and pop music

world music

post-rock

old-school hip hop (don't like the newer stuff)

etc.

As I said, easier to list things I don't like -- like grunge, 80s and 90s indiepop, punk, most country music, contemporary R&B and "chart" hits....

8 hours ago, Hawmy said:

I love love love love love the Aquabats. They're this 90's ska band with their own mythology and stuff. They have the most high energy shows ever. Around the turn of the century they turned into this new wave/punk band. Hard to explain. In 2012 they made their own television show. Great tv show. If I'm not listening to the Aquabats, I'll listen to new wave or the Beatles or Queen or something. 

Streetlight Manifesto?

Indie I guess. Post punk stuff. Most of what I listen to comes from the north west of England. Liverpool (Beatles), Manchester (oasis, stone roses, joy division, smiths), Wigan (the verve). But also more classic rock things like Led Zep or whatever and folky stuff like Dylan and Young. Mostly British stuff with notable exceptions. 

I dont't like particular genres. I love some artists, I would say, regardless of the genre of music they do.

My top 3 are Charles Aznavour, Roy Orbison and John Williams.

Then it goes from J.S. Bach to Pink Floyd passing by Frank Sinatra, Mika and Joe Dassin.

Since about 10 years, I listen a lot of classical music, a passion that started when I was a teenager.

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I listen to all kinds of music.  Lately I've been digging some grimy psychedelic garage rock.

I'd assume you like a fair share of disco?

1 minute ago, Thor said:

I'd assume you like a fair share of disco?

I do actually, although it's got nothing to do with my username (that's just a Simpsons reference).  There was some truly amazing music to come out of disco in the late-70s.  The first 3 Chic albums especially are about as great as pop music can get.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Ooooh, where to start? It's probably easier for me to list the things I DON'T care for.

We know! 

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Rock, Hard Rock, Classic Rock, Progressive Rock, Metal, Grunge, Pop, Rap, etc

But who knew our moderator is actually a Hard Rocker?

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Never got behind the super specific classification thing. I like something from all genres of music.

That list wasn't exuastive nor does it doesn't mean that I like every post-punk band. Just there's far greater number that appeals to me than say, of metal bands (and I know that's a huge that includes loads of subgenres).

Jazz (mainly free jazz and ragtime), contemporary folk (usually Canadian), classical/art music, and quite a bit of metal (mainly death and thrash).  Some country and classical rock, but I'm more particular in those areas than in other genres.

As for "ambient" as its own genre... DRONE METAL.  Sunn O))) and Nadja are my go-to "working" music.