Two Tolkien biopics in the works: "Middle-earth" and "Tolkien"

Bilbo

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

It would be cool if Howard Shore scored this film :)

Shore is naturally my first, second, and third choice but Desplat would probably do a decent job with this

I know, Martin Freeman should play Bilbo... I mean Tolkien. Ian Holm could play the old Tolkien and John Rhys-Davies could be the voice of C.S. Lewis who will be realized with an animatronic puppet.

Ian McKellen will play old and cranky Christopher Tolkien.

ChristopherTolkien1.jpg54059d90-c57c-4eb0-915a-485e6e247580-206

Edith will be played by the young version of Michelle Forbes or Emily Blunt (just because she is in every other movie British or American):

180px-Edith_Tolkien.jpgforbes1_ibpqs.jpg20-true-detective-blunt.w529.h352.jpg

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I imagine McKellen to be sick of Tolkien by now. 

But this time he wouldn't have to wear that stupid pointy hat or the beard!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2016 at 10:51 PM, Quintus said:

Won't be anywhere near as good as the sublime Shadowlands. 

Shadowlands is indeed sublime, even if it doesn't feature Tolkien per se, and even if Deborah Winer's performance is grating. You've reminded me that I need to watch it again.

• 8 months later...
6 hours ago, KK said:

Needs a trilogy! And a subforum!

I beg to differ. It needs perhaps six films or more to cover all the adventures this Oxford don had in his lifetime!

Professor Tolkien Expanded Universe with TV series and films coming every year until 2100!

YES!

Everything you needed and didn't need to know about the beloved author and the times and lives he shared with other British academia and friends!

The One Ring are saying Nicholas Hoult for the part. 

BB is probably calling for yer man from Padington. 

I think Nicholas Hoult is playing JD Salinger in a biopic of some sort.  He can't play two popular literary figures of the mid-20th century in a row! Immediate red card!

I like Nicholas Hoult.  He's not a chameleonic actor capable of all kinds of roles, but he's got a face that radiates a level of kindness and vulnerability that's very agreeable.  Makes him good for roles like the simplistic damaged idiot with a good heart in Mad Max.  Not sure if I could buy him as a great writer.

On 7/25/2017 at 10:10 AM, BloodBoal said:

The Tolkien Cinematic Universe will debut with JOHN, a film that will relate the beginning of Tolkien's life, from year 1 to year 10. It will be followed by RONALD, which will cover year 11 to year 20 of his life, and then REUEL, going from year 21 to year 30. After this, phase 2 of the Tolkien Cinematic Universe will begin, with the following films: T, O, L, K, I, E and N, each one covering 5 more years of his life. Then phase 3 will start, with movies dedicated to the publishing of each LOTR book. Phase 4 will then detail the remaining years of his life, up until his death. Phase 5 will be about his legacy and Phase 6 will present the life of his son, Christopher.

In conjunction with all this, TV shows expanding the cinematic universe will air on Netflix. First will be LEWIS, the tale of the creator of the Narnia series, which will last for 10 seasons. And then there will be a TV show for each of the members of the Inklings club: BARFIELD, BENNETT, CECIL, COGHILL, DYSON, FOX, GREEN, HAVARD and WILLIAMS. The television journey will culminate with the show AGENTS OF INKLINGS, which will bring all the heroes together for one last battle. A short TV series that will be 15 seasons long will act as an epilogue to all this in 2100: EDITH, dedicated to Tolkien's wife.

WARNER BROS. is delighted to provide you with hours of entertainment for years to come and hope that you will find some enjoyment in all of this.

Casting update: Warner is pleased to announce that J.R.R. Tolkien will be played by TV's Jodie Whittaker ("St Trinian's 2: The Legend of Fritton's Gold"), while CS Lewis will be played by Idris Elba ("Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance").

• 1 month later...