Leonard Cohen dead at 82

chuck

I just saw that on the news. Personnaly, I don't know him very much, but I think his death will cause a little shock to many people around the globe this morning.

He just released a new album?

I was not a big Cohen fan or anything, but he's one of those who's so ingrained in popular culture, that it's hard not to like at least something. I think my favourite of his is "A Thousand Kisses Deep" which was featured in the Goldenthal-scored THE GOOD THIEF (a brilliant album, btw). I also dig "Everybody Knows" which was also used with chilling effect in Atom Egoyan's EXOTICA (one of my favourite 90s films and a superb Danna score as well).

"Hallelujah" sadly became something of a public anthem, raped in karaoke versions or other 'covers'. But I guess it's understandable, because at its core, it's a haunting melody.

Obviously also other major hits, like "First We Take Manhattan", and "So long, Marianne" which he wrote to his Norwegian girlfriend at the time.

A sad loss in what has been a devastating year in so many ways -- music and otherwise.

My parents have been major fans of his for years so I've had plenty of exposure to his work and my irreverent comment many a time has been that in some of his work it often sounds like he's just randomly makes up the lyrics as he goes along. Having said that, he is yet another parental musical introduction that has grown on me over the years. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I like the original Hallelujah, but I must admit I really can't stand the song in general due to the endless cover versions and diluted X-Factor renditions over the years. RIP. 

The original is and remains a classic! 

I don't really care much for Dylan (with a few exceptions, like the SLOW TRAIN COMIN' album), so in that respect I far prefer Cohen's "cleaner", darker and more melodic approach to things.

This is the case for many poets, they are not always the better interpret of their own songs. But it does't prevent them of making a successfull singing career.

The songs of Leonard Cohen where covered a lot and will continue to be, that's the important.

As time has gone by - and especially in his last two albums, which were released in his 80s - he has been very reflective on his own mortality.  I really like his newest album - better than his last couple before that. 

I saw Leonard Cohen at Radio City Music Hall on his final tour.  For his age, he was super spry - on his feet for the whole show, dancing about, dropping to his knees - a proper showman and very gracious to the other performers on stage. 

I also got to see Bowie on his final tour, although that was some 12 years before his death so while Bowie was an artist I cared for even more, the concert wasn't as poignant to me.