How about an album of the non-Williams Spielberg scores?

Thor

With the third Spielberg/Williams album coming out, it occured to me that it would have been cool to have an album of music from the Spielberg films that did NOT involve Williams.

A tentative list:

THE FEATURE FILMS

BRIDGE OF SPIES (2015) - Thomas Newman

THE COLOR PURPLE (1985) - Quincy Jones

TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE - "Kick the Can" (1983) - Jerry Goldsmith

POLTERGEIST (1982) - Jerry Goldsmith (yes, I consider this a Spielberg film just as much as I consider THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS a Burton film, not a Henry Selick film)

THE BILLY GOLDENBERG YEARS

DUEL (1971) - Billy Goldenberg

COLUMBO - "Murder by the Book" (1971) - Billy Goldenberg

THE NAME OF THE GAME - "LA 2017" (1971) - Billy Goldenberg

NIGHT GALLERY - "Eyes" (1969) -- Billy Goldenberg

OTHER EARLY TV WORK

SAVAGE (1973) - Gil Melle

SOMETHING EVIL (1972) - Wladimir Selinsky

OWEN MARSHALL, COUNSELOR AT LAW - "Eulogy for a Wide Receiver" (1971) - Elmer Bernstein(?)

THE PSYCHIATRIST - "Par for the Course" (1971) - Gil Melle??

THE PSYCHIATRIST - "The Private World of Martin Dalton" (1971) - Gil Melle??

NIGHT GALLERY - "Make Me Laugh" (1971) - Robert Prince

MARCUS WELBY M.D. - "The Daredevil Gesture" (1970) - Leonard Rosenman

BONUS: 

AMBLIN' (1968) - Michael Lloyd

Yes, since Williams retired from the Boston Pops we lost him constantly recording/interpreting his own oeuvre like he was for the 15 years of 1980-1995.  Since then the closest we get to that consistent conversation with his own work is maybe the Hollywood Bowl concerts?

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What about a Boston Pops album with non-Spielberg JW music? (SW prequels/TFA, HP, Far and Away, etc.)

That would be good too, but then I'd rather have him steer clear of the 'big' titles you mention there which are covered so many other places.

For example, I would give my left arm for an album re-recording of Williams' 60s scores.

Better yet, though, is premiere releases of his unreleased scores -- whether original tracks or re-recordings. But that seems to be a pipe dream at this point.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes, since Williams retired from the Boston Pops we lost him constantly recording/interpreting his own oeuvre like he was for the 15 years of 1980-1995.  Since then the closest we get to that consistent conversation with his own work is maybe the Hollywood Bowl concerts?

Well, and the Boston and Tanglewood concerts, which he still does every year and are always broadcast on radio!

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

What about a Boston Pops album with non-Spielberg JW music? (SW prequels/TFA, HP, Far and Away, etc.)

Yeah. In fact, that's what I thought this thread was about after quickly looking at the title (obviously when I opened it I quickly found out the real purpose). 

Spielberg didn't direct Poltergeist.  He might have chipped in here and there, but Tobe Hooper directed it; and if you're familiar with Hooper's work, you can totally see his hand at work.  You can see Spielberg's as well, though, so I consider it a collaboration.

That said, ABSOLUTELY it counts as a Spielberg movie.  He wrote it, was deeply involved in pre-production, was deeply involved in the production, and was deeply involved in post-production.  If that doesn't count, I don't know what would.

I'd buy the hell out of that compilation, by the way.

Yeah, I know (as do most people) that Hooper officially directed -- and Spielberg even released a statement to stress this at the time. But as I said in the first post, I consider this just as much a Spielberg film as I consider THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS a Tim Burton movie.

As Jay pointed out, I'm not sure such a release would be a profitmaker, considering the clearance work that would be needed (not to mention the work in digging out some of the old stuff, in particular). But it would be damn cool, and I'd get it in a heartbeat.