John Williams Film Night at Tanglewood, August 19th 2017

TownerFan

And the download link, for anyone who wants to keep it:

https://streams.wgbh.org/online/clas/bso/bso170819.mp3

I reckon Parade of the Slave Children sounds better here than the performance on the 1st Spielberg/Williams collaboration CD, but the tempo is wildly uneven (the piece sounds best at the faster tempo, closer to the film version). The slower tempo becomes really noticeable around 1:09:50 where it feels almost stretched.

Not sure why Williams has settled on this ultra-slow tempo for Adventures of Mutt. It does the piece no favours; I've long felt one of its few attributes was the energetic tempo.

Is this perhaps a sign of JW's advancing age and physical ability as a conductor? You'd think not, considering his wonderful fast-tempo concert version of Scherzo for X-Wings (an improvement on the OST version).

Again, I arrive at little late to the show... So there's only one new broadcast to add to our archives? The concert from August 19? This is right?

The love scene from Vertigo seems to be a very tricky piece for concert. I've heard many, many different concert recordings of it but the effect varies greatly. In this concert the final climax just doesn't have that big fulfilling sound that I look for from the piece. This performance of The Duel from Tintin on the other hand is a lot of fun. 

Schindler's wasn't too surprising, since it's included in a lot of Williams concerts, but I was glad he skipped the usual intro story. I was surprised it was part of the encores and not the main program, though.

The most surprising part of the concert for me was the Dracula piece, which included a film clip. I've never seen the movie, and the scene they showed involved Dracula climbing on walls a la Spiderman, entering a woman's window, followed by a passionate makeout session, then Dracula cutting himself and having her drink his blood. It was pretty intense, definitely the most erotic JW-scored movie scene I've watched, and it seemed pretty racy for an event like this, with mostly elderly people and families in the audience. I wonder what they thought of it.

21 hours ago, apples said:

Was anyone else a bit surprised by the inclusion of Schindler's List?

May I ask what you found surprising about it?  He almost always includes encores not listed on the program.  He also often performs three pieces and often in a usual "fast, slow, fast" order. 

2 hours ago, Tom said:

May I ask what you found surprising about it?  He almost always includes encores not listed on the program.  He also often performs three pieces and often in a usual "fast, slow, fast" order. 

I guess since its such a dramatic and moving piece, I did not expect it in an encore (especially not after March from 1941). 

On 8/26/2017 at 4:34 AM, artguy360 said:

In this concert the final climax just doesn't have that big fulfilling sound that I look for from the piece. 

I'm listening to the concert now and I agree completely.  The part of "Scene d'Amour" where it builds up to the huge orchestral swell didn't have that "hair standing up on the back of your neck" quality that you find in the original film version and many other recordings.

Am I correct that there was no recording/broadcast of the Tanglewood on Parade concert Williams conducted at on 8/1?  Just the Film Night concert is available?

That's too bad.

WGBH does record Tanglewood on Parade, but hasn't broadcast it since 2014.

By the way, the on demand file of Film Night as a glitch on the right channel some six minutes into Adventures on Earth. That wasn't on the live stream.

It was not broadcast by WGBH. WGBH produced it for other stations. And the BSO has had some of those available on-demand for a while on their media center. Though they haven't done it every single year. The last time I checked this year's concert isn't there.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

Nashville Symphony concerts are never available on-demand. Does that makes it eligible to be on your discography?

I want to document audio/video concerts that were recorded profesionnaly and that are "available" to people, anything except bootlegs. Finally, concerts that have some chances in the future to be oficially released... That's the ultimate goal. 

2 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

I understand that, but this recording isn't available anymore. You either heard it live or not.

Ok, so we'll wait :-)