• Announcements

    • Jay

      Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

      Hello!

      We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Jay

Learn to compose film scores from Hans Zimmer!

74 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Thor said:

 

Well, maybe the place has changed recently on this issue, I don't know. I don't read as many threads as you guys. But I've always felt the majority has been Zimmer-critical. In fact, in most cases it's the minority who has stood up to defend him (people like Kaya and myself, for example), and I've found myself just dropping out of threads altogether because it's become tiresome. It doesn't really have anything to do with 'demonizing', it just describes a bias (or anti-bias), that's all. Just as you would describe FSM as a pro-Goldsmith board.

 

You mean Koray, not Kaya.  Two VERY different people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blumenkohl said:

Is it possible it's because no one would actually pay you anyway?

 

If I thought I could get money for this shit you think I'd be wasting my time here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2016 at 5:45 PM, Thor said:

Sorry, yes. Koray, I met at our Boston gathering. His brother, I haven't met yet.

Close enough!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd actually be interested in those classes but since I'm not planning on composing I'm not inclined to spend the money on it. Here's hoping there will be 'bootlegs' one day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26-11-2016 at 9:18 PM, Koray Savas said:

Close enough!

 

Are you warning us against your brother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice little interview with Zimmer for Inverse promoting his Master Class online lessons
 

Some quotes I found interesting:

 

Quote

I spent months trying to come up with something for Ben. The Batman that I know and the one I learned is the one that Christian did, and Ben plays it differently. And I can’t quite shake that off. For me, the Christian Bale character was always completely unresolved. It was always about that moment at the beginning of the first movie, where he sees his parents getting killed. It was basically arrested development. The Ben character is more middle-aged; he seems to be grumpy as hell, but I didn’t feel the pain that I felt in Christian’s performance. And it was that pain that made me interested.

 

Quote

I think the next big trend — and it really is happening already — is just people writing far more individualistic scores and breaking new ground constantly. If you listen to people like Johan Johansson, the borders between film music and popular music and classical music, all those walls are just coming down. And the walls between technology and people who went to music academy as opposed to people who are just incredibly passionate about music, all those walls are coming down. Look at what Johnny Greenwood is scoring. He’s in Radiohead, but he’s one of the greatest film composers out there. He’s a composer-in-residence at the BBC. There’s a guy who is comfortable in all fields.

 

Quote

I’ll give you an example of something I’d love to do over: As Good As It Gets, the Jim Brooks movie. When we previewed it, there wasn’t music over the first scene, so people didn’t know it was a comedy. And Jack’s outrageous performance, like putting the dog down the garbage chute, all that stuff, you could just hear a collective jaw drop from the audience because they didn’t know if it was funny or just the most brutal thing they’d ever seen. And I put a little bit of music at the beginning, just to let them know it was a comedy, and I wish I hadn’t. It was great when it was unmitigatingly tough.

 

Cerebral Cortex likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice to hear that Zimmer is a Johannsson and Greenwood fan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No. But it's nice to hear someone you admire, express fondness for others you admire. Makes him more relatable to me, I suppose. And you could even say it offers a certain insight into his own philosophy and approach to music, given the backgrounds of the aforementioned composers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a dangerous path to take, intellectually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually bought the zimmer masterclass online. And it's pretty interesting :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like those would be pretty neat, if for nothing else than to gain some insight into the specific artist's thoughts and processes. I would probably try a few out if I could afford to splurge. I see Steve Martin's got one coming on comedy...that would probably be super interesting, actually.

 

Let us know what you think of Z's class when you finish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone here got any reviews of it? It's still popping up in my Facebook feed, and I am not sure how much the course is really worth. I might consider taking it, but I'd hate to be disappointed by it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/11/2016 at 1:45 AM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

In other news, check out how pretentious my language sometimes gets in the Interstellar analysis.  Sweet fancy Moses.

 

Quote

Time - Simple movement through four chords, sometimes with full harmonies or adorned with florid figurations, sometimes only as a bass moving under rising two note gestures. In this, one hears a musical embodiment of the passing of time, inevitable, never resolving. Sometimes deviating slightly as outlooks change or understandings are reached, but always returning to its original pattern. For some perhaps a cloyingly familiar harmonic device. For others, shattering and haunting.

 

I read that with the dulcet tones of John O'Hurley, and at other times, Stanley Tucci

 

 

TheGreyPilgrim likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I think Hans Zimmer is the last person I'd want to teach me how to compose music.

 

I think I'd choose Hans Zimmer over Manikin Skywalker, at any rate.  

 

2 hours ago, Biodome said:

Has anyone here got any reviews of it? It's still popping up in my Facebook feed, and I am not sure how much the course is really worth. I might consider taking it, but I'd hate to be disappointed by it.

 

What do you expect it to entail?  If you think it will teach you how to write music, it will not.  This is Hans talking about the job of scoring for film itself, it is not a composition lesson.  You might find it interesting if you are an enthusiast, useful if you are actually in the business, a disappointment if you think it will be anything but supplementary to what you should already know.

 

1 hour ago, JohnSolo said:

He seems like a real friendly chap.

 

He is.  It's absolutely comedic how your average internet poser, and even the occasional legitimate but spurned former RCP employee, try to demonize him in any of a billion ways. And dilettantes around the web eat it up.  The dumb ones, at least.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I think I'd choose Hans Zimmer over Manikin Skywalker, at any rate.  

I could be John Williams himself for all you know!

Loert and Will like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

What do you expect it to entail?  If you think it will teach you how to write music, it will not.  This is Hans talking about the job of scoring for film itself, it is not a composition lesson.  You might find it interesting if you are an enthusiast, useful if you are actually in the business, a disappointment if you think it will be anything but supplementary to what you should already know.

Well, that's what I would be afraid of, I guess. I don't want the course to be a glorified interview of Zimmer where he talks about the philosophy of how film soundtracks are made. I'd rather he went into some concrete, deep specifics, which could not be easily found by doing a simple Google search. Guess I'll stick to the free Coursera courses on composition then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I could be John Williams himself for all you know!

 

I would much rather have Zimmer teach me how to score a film than Williams. Not because Zimmer is a better composer, he is not. But because if I am a composer, I know there is less than 1% chance I could remotely compose like Williams no matter what I learned. Zimmer is far more relatable, more modern, and he is a guy who embraces all the tools. He can teach you how to be a successful composer even if you do not have an amazing foundation in composition. That and the fact that Zimmer probably understands how to build connections in the industry more than anyone. 

 

Besides, I can't remember the last time I write anything with a pencil and paper :). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Mephariel said:

 

I would much rather have Zimmer teach me how to score a film than Williams. Not because Zimmer is a better composer, he is not. But because if I am a composer, I know there is less than 1% chance I could remotely compose like Williams no matter what I learned. Zimmer is far more relatable, more modern, and he is a guy who embraces all the tools. He can teach you how to be a successful composer even if you do not have an amazing foundation in composition. That and the fact that Zimmer probably understands how to build connections in the industry more than anyone. 

 

Besides, I can't remember the last time I write anything with a pencil and paper :). 

True.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that we're on the topic, has JW ever discussed his working process in detail (so not the standard bit about how a spotting session works, but really how he thinks, works, creates music, decides who/what gets a theme etc.?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Biodome said:

Well, that's what I would be afraid of, I guess. I don't want the course to be a glorified interview of Zimmer where he talks about the philosophy of how film soundtracks are made. I'd rather he went into some concrete, deep specifics, which could not be easily found by doing a simple Google search. Guess I'll stick to the free Coursera courses on composition then.

 

He talks about musical rhetoric, working with directors, creating a collection of material to draw on for a score, designing electronic sounds.  That kind of thing.  There is no basic music theory or composition technique involved. Again, if you're looking for that, this is not the place.  It's a masterclass on film scoring, not composition.   It's basically a very condensed, less personal, perhaps less stressful version of the education you'd get by working with him.  

 

24 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Now that we're on the topic, has JW ever discussed his working process in detail (so not the standard bit about how a spotting session works, but really how he thinks, works, creates music, decides who/what gets a theme etc.?)

 

You won't really ever hear him or anyone else go into that for the same reason Zimmer's class isn't about that.  It's an incredibly personal and ephemeral thing that is hard, hard, hard to "teach" or to talk about.  The technique and theory of music is the easy part.  Actually doing something with it, that takes something else.  I think this class covered a lot of worthwhile information about being a composer for film.  But again, if you're coming here to learn music, it's just not going to happen.  A masterclass is not a starting point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2017 at 2:53 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

 

He talks about musical rhetoric, working with directors, creating a collection of material to draw on for a score, designing electronic sounds.  That kind of thing.  There is no basic music theory or composition technique involved. Again, if you're looking for that, this is not the place.  It's a masterclass on film scoring, not composition.   It's basically a very condensed, less personal, perhaps less stressful version of the education you'd get by working with him. 

 

You know, this is what I suck at most so have much to learn.  I should probably invest in this. Grey, how long is the full masterclass?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something like 30 videos at an average of 10-15 minutes each?  It's hefty.  Almost definitely worth 90 bucks for anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Something like 30 videos at an average of 10-15 minutes each?  It's hefty.  Almost definitely worth 90 bucks for anyone.

That is easily worth the cost.  Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, my wish list didn't change from the first day.

Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Mulan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found this masterclass really interesting but I have to agree that if you want to learn how to compose, technically speaking, this is not for you. But other than that, it truly is a nice glimpse into Zimmer process. There are also some brief passage where he talks about Williams. Feel free to ask specific questions I'll try to answer ;) there are 31 lessons. ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watched the first two videos.

 

1. I like how he welcomes the viewer with this mixture of pride and humility.

2. I can't help wondering why someone who clearly has a few interesting things to say is so determined not to be creative with his themes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now