NEW John Williams concert work: Markings, for solo violin, strings, and harp - Premiering Sunday, July 16th 2017 at Tanglewood

Jay

Just now, TheGreyPilgrim said:

There's like, cool notes and epic chords with emotional epic violins. 

Whoa.  My mind has been opened to a new dimension of music appreciation.

I've listened Markings several times now, and I like it. The piece is a very comfortable edition to JW's concert library. It is a little predictable though. It has all the tension, strain, and rhythmic changes I've come to expect from JW's concert works. It's a nice piece but not surprising in the way Rounds was when I first heard it.  

My impression on listening to it just once is that it's some of the darkest music Williams has written.  I wouldn't call music "scary" or "terrifying," per se, but if I did, I'd call this that.

Very good.  I'm happy to have been able to hear it without having to wait years!

Gorgeous piece!

And what rich, wonderful colors and textures, even within an essentially monochrome ensemble. 

Love Williams in this darkly lyrical, expressive mode.. Also really like the polymodality of the main melodic idea, which stays pretty consistently in a dual state of upper phrygian explorations pitted against a warm D major b13. 

The final duet between soloist (in the lower octave) and first violins (in the higher octave) towards the very end is notable for inverting what would have been the conventional sonic distribution between these forces. 

The G-string accellerando/tremolo idea is unusual for Williams, as it seems to stem from a kind of "sturm und drang"-abandon. I suspect this is somehow informed by his take on Mutter's personality as a violinist. And it really suits her playing, instantly lending a dramatic flair which adds to the overall gravitas of the piece. 

Despite its relative brevity, I think the piece feels complete, and completely satisfying. 

6 hours ago, Marcus said:

The G-string accellerando/tremolo idea is unusual for Williams...

Oooh.....G-string.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/22/2016 at 3:57 AM, Jay said:

And also, Andre Previn once told a story about how Mutter asked Williams to write a piece for her!

I admire Johnny Williams. He’s very good at what he does, and he writes very good themes. Now, Anne-Sophie made him an offer. She said, “Why don’t you write me a concerto?” And he said, “Oh, I don’t write that kind of music.” And she said, “Yes, you do. You write beautiful themes.”

FJO: But he wrote a trombone concerto?

AP: Did he?

FJO: It’s a pretty solid piece.

AP: He also wrote a bassoon concerto, which I like very much. Anyway, he back pedaled on that, but she kept asking and just recently he said, “Look, I’m not going to write one. I’m just not. I can’t do it. I haven’t got the background for it, and I don’t think I want to.” And she said O.K. But she said to me, “This is silly, because I’d play it everywhere.” I’ve known Johnny ever since we were both rehearsal pianists at a ballroom dancing school on La Brea Avenue. We used to take turns playing “Blueberry Hill.” Oh boy. Anyway, I don’t think he is willing to gamble with his own talent. He’s wonderfully talented and a tremendous orchestrator, but he doesn’t believe it. And a big piece—it’s a lot of pages. I don’t think that he has belief enough in his own talent, even though he has more than enough talent to do it.

FJO: Maybe it’s taking him too far out of his comfort zone in terms of the context.

AP: Comfort zone? He’s a millionaire.

FJO: I mean his comfort zone creatively.

AP: Oh, sure.

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/andre-previn-how-lucky-i-am-now/

Previn just told another version of this assessment of JW's talent to The Philadelphia Inquirer:

Q: And now, John Williams has written some concert works …

Previn: He’s an old friend … and so talented. I keep saying, “John, stop it with Star Wars!” And he said, “Let me ask you a question: Your first opera, Streetcar, was a success everywhere. And [the second opera] Brief Encounter was not. Are you ever going to write another one?” I’m writing it now.

I asked, “Don’t you feel like gambling on your talent?” And he said no.

When I finish a piece, it’s time to write another one. I wrote a string quartet that I very diffidently mentioned to the Emerson Quartet. And they said, “Where is it?” I’m not used to that, to people saying yeah, right, sure … The damnedest cities play my music! I wonder, where do they even hear about it?

http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/arts/andre-previn-says-he-keeps-telling-john-williams-john-stop-it-with-the-star-wars-20171012.html

• 2 weeks later...

Today, finally, this piece really "clicked" with me!!

The very opening is absolutely sublime, and the first bit of the dance-like episode in the middle is super fun. The very end is also pretty interesting, with the impossibly high sustained note. 

Bizarrely, I did not see any of these developments for "Markings" over the last few months.  I will listen to it the moment I get back home.  It was interesting reading Mutter's comments about wanting a longer piece, she's definitely not shy about hiding her desire for a more significant work.

I can see where Mutter's coming from. When the fast section started I was like, "Oh yeah, s--t's about to get real." And then, just as quickly as it began, the section ended. 

However, I've since come to appreciate how this piece lets us experience Williams' concerto style with a much smaller time investment compared to a proper full concerto.

Markings is interesting to listen to and I appreciate it for all the different orchestrations and textures they create. It seems like pretty standard JW concert music where there are a lot of ideas but also a few tender moments. 

Just listened to it.  Wonderfully elegant, and such a well-constructed piece for something under 10 minutes.  I share in Mutter's thirst that this be extended, even just a bit.  I feel like there's even more territory for Williams to explore in that little world he's created with those colors.

• 3 months later...
41 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

It should be a legit cover even though I don't think Williams would want a cover with just his face on the cover.

Like this?

John_Williams_grande.jpg?v=1495485222

So somehow I missed this whole affair entirely.

Lovely work. Wonderful to hear the maestro, still regularly finding inspiration.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
On 06/02/2018 at 1:17 AM, AC1 said:

I love this cover. Is it real?

Hey, thanks! 

I happened to be checking around JWFan.com and saw that "Markings" is listed as "unreleased," when we all know it was released with the deluxe "Across the Stars" album.  I even have it on vinyl!

About the album cover I made:  I do believe my creation pre-dates the piano solos disc with a very similar concept by a little bit, or at least I hadn't seen it before making mine.  That close up photo of Williams had been circulating around the time and I liked how it really showed off his facial features.  I used an Android app that was also popular at the time (though I can't remember the name of it) to juice up the image.  Offsetting the picture to allow for text was really my only "creative" decision.

Anyway, I'm glad someone liked it.  I know I always appreciate when more talented folks on here make album art for all the concert rips we've been getting.