NEW John Williams concert work: Markings, for solo violin, strings, and harp - Premiering Sunday, July 16th 2017 at Tanglewood

Jay

Sounds like an exciting piece.  Not sure why the write up sounds like an angry JWfaner talking about JW's plagiarism.  I hope they do that for all new commissions. 

I thought to myself, "Why spend an entire paragraph talking about this Bernstein piece that you ultimately decide it bears only superficial resemblance to?"  Comes across a little rambly.

As soon as the piece instrumentation was known, my first thought was the Bernstein connection. I would actually be fine if there was some sort of nod to Bernstein, since he was such an integral part of Tanglewood and we are celebrating his centennial...

The notes are actually quite a tease... Sunday seems to far away now :D

As for the piece never being performed again... I'm sure it will. So many of Williams concertos are receiving attention lately, I'm sure that it won't be long that we'll see this one programmed again and who knows, even recorded commercially.

12 minutes ago, Miguel Andrade said:

As soon as the piece instrumentation was known, my first thought was the Bernstein connection. I would actually be fine if there was some sort of nod to Bernstein, since he was such an integral part of Tanglewood and we are celebrating his centennial...

Yeah, I suppose it'd be like not addressing the elephant in the room to not mention it in some way.  It just read a little strange to talk about the connection so much and then at the end basically say, "but really it's nothing like that."

All I've been able to find is this photo:

As well as this tweet which seems to indicate Williams was in attendance...

Solid piece. Not the kind of stuff you can really appreciate on first listen, so I can't say I truly enjoyed it, but I may say that in the future, who knows!

Very much in the vein of "Heartwood."

This was just lovely! It's as Williams as it gets! There are some gestures reminiscent of older concertos...

And slightly longer than what I predicted, lasting around 7 minutes.

1 minute ago, Will said:

Not the kind of stuff you can really appreciate on first listen

I have to disagree on that... I really appreciated it on first listen, though as always, there will be treasures to find on repeated listens...

Hmm, then maybe I just don't like stuff like this. I'll admit "Heartwood" was a a challenge, although I finally started to appreciate it (if not totally adore it, unlike with, say, the cello concerto first movement). 

But I do agree with Miguel that this is classic Williams concert writing. Sounded very familiar! 

I probably sounded the wrong way... We are all different and experience this stuff in a different way from each other. For some reason it as always been rather easy for me to connect with Williams music, even more his concert output.

And then as one grows, and gets older, more experienced and has listened to more stuff, things seem to just find their way in more easily. Or maybe that's just me... But I'm able to listen and enjoy music today, that 20 years ago would give me a headache.

Mutter and Nelsons had an encore after the Tchaikovsky concerto... Williams' Theme from Schindler's List!

@Miguel Andrade you are hot. Unfortunately as I run for more than one rabbit at a Time, I can't follow all these News about new concert works and releases.... But I know that the day I will be there, I can Ask you for some updates ;-) 

On my second listen, it still feels like a dark and desperate piece. In a great way, very emotional and very anxious.  Maybe I'm just projecting ;) 

I kind of love it I think.

Wow, great to listen again. Had just checked and was disappointed to see that the official replay wasn't up yet. 

Much darker than I expected this to sound. Between this and the dark concert version of Jedi Steps, JW seems to be (refreshingly) delving into darker territory in his non-Spielberg works.

Much prefer JW in this style; he can write the saccharine stuff in his sleep.

A really terrific piece, a nice companion to his other string soloist concert works. I only wish it was longer. Perhaps he'll jot down some more markings for Mutter or another soloist in the future. :) 

I haven't checked the youtube upload, but assuming it is from the actual stream, it should have an higher quality than the on-demand files (that will probably be available later in the week). Of course, I have no idea about how the file was compressed to be presented on youtube...

Very beautiful and in need of an extension (especially of the central part)!! I hope he will do that.

Is it known if he had some inspiration from literature when writing this piece? It seems to represent something concrete, and it would be nice to know what. It is definitely dramatic and dark, but I don't perceive it as "desperate". The ending makes me think of flying. 

Also, what about the title? Does it refer to music notation?  

14 minutes ago, Score said:

It is definitely dramatic and dark, but I don't perceive it as "desperate". The ending makes me think of flying. 

Responses to music can be very much like what people say at wine tastings.  Everyone hears/tastes something different!

19 minutes ago, Score said:

Very beautiful and in need of an extension (especially of the central part)!! I hope he will do that.

Is it known if he had some inspiration from literature when writing this piece? It seems to represent something concrete, and it would be nice to know what. It is definitely dramatic and dark, but I don't perceive it as "desperate". The ending makes me think of flying. 

Also, what about the title? Does it refer to music notation?  

I'm sure that we'll know a bit more about that when the score is (hopefully) published, as Williams always includes a short program note. But I agree that there is some kind of inspiration coming from somewhere... maybe Williams own inner soul ramblings, or maybe his perception of the soloist's own soul.