Jump to content
Lockdown

Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Recommended Posts

Quote

This deluxe edition, meticulously produced, edited and mastered by Mike Matessino, in consultation with the composer, director and producers, finally showcases these master works in a worthy, definitive presentation, with additional music never before released.

I knew I could count on you Mike! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why do we see titles we don't know, but they don't have a "*" ?

 

Did I miss something?

 

I see several "Film version", do I understand this box is complementary to the old OST CDs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of money for a 4 disc set that would have fit on 3 discs. One could even say, 60 Dollars for a Lost Wold extension since JP was already more or less completely available. I would have hoped for more alternate versions but perhaps this is all that exists? And Stalling around should have been put in chronological place, it is such a nice contrast piece. Nevertheless I will probably pick this up, being the Williams completist that I am. Perhaps waiting for a special deal. 5000 pieces will not sell out soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, hanser said:

A lot of money for a 4 disc set that would have fit on 3 discs. One could even say, 60 Dollars for a Lost Wold extension since JP was already more or less completely available. I would have hoped for more alternate versions but perhaps this is all that exists? And Stalling around should have been put in chronological place, it is such a nice contrast piece. Nevertheless I will probably pick this up, being the Williams completist that I am. Perhaps waiting for a special deal. 5000 pieces will not sell out soon.

 

I've read several times on here that neither film had alternates, so I think this is all that exists. If there was anything earth-shattering revealed in the session tapes, Matessino would've gotten in on there. The alternate Lost World track must be the end credits arrangement? But the alternate Transquilizer and Finale track is intriguing, because I thought that was all (poorly) tracked music from TLW concert suite in the finished film?

 

And I don't think Spielberg was even in America during Jurassic's recording sessions, which probably explains the lack of alternates. He might have been shooting Amistad during the Lost World sessions as well (and he was supposedly hands-off with the post on that film).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

 

I've read several times on here that neither film had alternates, so I think this is all that exists. If there was anything earth-shattering revealed in the session tapes, Matessino would've gotten in on there. The alternate Lost World track must be the end credits arrangement? But the alternate Transquilizer and Finale track is intriguing, because I thought that was all (poorly) tracked music from TLW concert suite in the finished film?

 

And I don't think Spielberg was even in America during Jurassic's recording sessions, which probably explains the lack of alternates. He might have been shooting Amistad during the Lost World sessions as well (and he was supposedly hands-off with the post on that film).

Neither score sports much (if any) alternate material. TLW contains a lot of tracking instead which suggests very tight schedule which didn't allow much rewrites or additional scoring sessions. But I am sure the liner notes will explain all. :)

 

The alternate The Lost World must indeed be the end credits with the new intro. And the Tranquilizer Dart and Finale in the score proper opens probably with the original written opening which is not heard on the album or the film. The alternate of that cue is interesting to hear, whether it is an edit or something entirely new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, scallenger said:

Even though JP was almost complete in the 2013 digital release, it was only digital, afterall. Being my favorite score to my favorite film, of course, I still wanted those missing few minutes! Btw, what is "the Saboteur"? I don't remember that being one of the missing cues. Perhaps my late-night mind is fuzzy.

A good catch! I don't have any idea what it refers to. IIRC there is no cue written for any scene between the Goat Bait and An Ailing Monster as far as we know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

People at work struggling to understand my excitement.

 

"So like, it's the background music in the film?"

Yeah. Similar reaction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Incanus said:

Neither score sports much (if any) alternate material. TLW contains a lot of tracking instead which suggests very tight schedule which didn't allow rewrites.

 

The alternate The Lost World must indeed be the end credits with the new intro. And the Tranquilizer Dart and Finale in the score proper opens probably with the original written opening which is not heard on the album or the film. The alternate of that cue is interesting to hear, whether it is an edit or something entirely new.

 

With luck, it's an entirely different piece we've never heard. Some other stuff on TLW Disc 2 has me a bit confused (but I haven't watched the film in a while).


5 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles * 4:12 (picks up in the film before Raptors Appear ends and runs for ~3:55 in the final film, with the last minute tracked from TLW main title. I wonder if this original cue ends with the sad 0:20 of music as Kelly cries in the helicopter? If not, that cue will remain unreleased)
6 Heading North 2:14 (the final 2 minutes of "Malcolm's Journey" on the OST)
7 Ludlow’s Speech * 3:15 (self-explanatory, 0:30 longer than the film sequence)
8 The Wrecked Ship 2:22 (What is this? Music already released on an OST track? This sequence is unscored in the final film)

9 Monster on the Loose * 2:38 (the music from the Rex breaking out of the cargo hold until Malcolm asks Ludlow where the facility is)

10 Visitor in San Diego (Extended Version) 7:41 (seems the entire film sequence was scored and had music dialled out, during the bus chase for example?)

11 Ludlow’s End 2:52 (this is the final 2:50 of "Ludlow's Demise" on the OST)
12 Tranquilizer Dart ** 3:01 (presumably this is the complete version of the finale track? Maybe it'll finally answer what Williams' original intention for the finale was -- the OST or film version)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, crumbs said:

 

With luck, it's an entirely different piece we've never heard. Some other stuff on TLW Disc 2 has me a bit confused (but I haven't watched the film in a while).


5 High Bar and Ceiling Tiles * 4:12 (picks up in the film before Raptors Appear ends and runs for ~3:55 in the final film, with the last minute tracked from TLW main title. I wonder if this original cue ends with the sad 0:20 of music as Kelly cries in the helicopter? If not, that cue will remain unreleased)
6 Heading North 2:14 (the final 2 minutes of "Malcolm's Journey" on the OST)
7 Ludlow’s Speech * 3:15 (self-explanatory, 0:30 longer than the film sequence)
8 The Wrecked Ship 2:22 (What is this? Music already released on an OST track? This sequence is unscored in the final film)

9 Monster on the Loose * 2:38 (the music from the Rex breaking out of the cargo hold until Malcolm asks Ludlow where the facility is)

10 Visitor in San Diego (Extended Version) 7:41 (seems the entire film sequence was scored and had music dialled out, during the bus chase for example?)

11 Ludlow’s End 2:52 (this is the final 2:50 of "Ludlow's Demise" on the OST)
12 Tranquilizer Dart ** 3:01 (presumably this is the complete version of the finale track? Maybe it'll finally answer what Williams' original intention for the finale was -- the OST or film version)

Check things out HERE

Perhaps the analysis will give you some answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll refrain from my usual response (you know what it is), since I don't want to dampen everyone's enthusiasm, but wasn't there an expanded JURASSIC PARK a couple of years ago already?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Thor said:

I'll refrain from my usual response (you know what it is), since I don't want to dampen everyone's enthusiasm, but wasn't there an expanded JURASSIC PARK a couple of years ago already?

 

Yes.  It was not complete, not chronological, and not available on disc.  Additional cues were combined for listening purposes - you might like it. ;)  

 

The Lost World has never been expanded until now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The last expansion of JP was pretty good really. We got all the major missing pieces, but the lack of physical release was a bummer (and clean openings/closings were missing from the new cues, barring Stalling Around).

 

Kind of makes you wish that expansion hadn't happened, if only to make this release even more momentous! :P

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Thanks for the info. I assumed the former expansion was a physical disc (most of these news pass me by in the moment, and then I forget all about it a few weeks later).

The previous expansion was a digital release only, which was for me as a CD collector a major bummer. I am happy as a C&C fan to have both of these in complete form.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why are there two versions of Welcome to Jurassic Park? God, that's such a vintage John Williams track naming decision. :blink:

 

Could the film version actually be an alternate and not a microedit (the music as Grant sees the birds out the window)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

OMG HEART ATTACK

I need time to calm down

:lol: Well it was a similar reaction for me. I looked at the LLL facebook page and saw only the news of the Beverly Hills Cop and French Connection releases uploaded at that moment but a minute later after refreshing the page my jaw almost dropped to the floor when the JP Collection announcement appeared.

 

I suspect that the folks at LLL have been beaming with smiles as they read the reactions of the fans. It must be really fun to give so many such a Christmas gift. There is a whole generation of Williams and film music fans thanks to Jurassic Park who will be thrilled at this piece of news.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, yeah, and does anyone know why tracking Remembering Petticoat Lane was the only consideration for the scene on the helipad at the end of the film? Clearly nothing original was recorded for that scene... did Williams even write original music for it?

 

Don't get me wrong, the tracked music fits perfectly and is thematically appropriate; just seems a really bizarre creative decision if they always intended to track that section of music.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Oh, yeah, and does anyone know why tracking Remembering Petticoat Lane was the only consideration for the scene on the helipad at the end of the film? Did Williams never even write original music for that scene? Don't get me wrong, it fits perfectly, just seems a very strange creative outcome.

I think he never scored that small moment between the rescue from the visitor centre and Hammond looking back at the helipad so they resorted to tracking. Again I guess they didn't have time or inclination to write another cue for that small transitional moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...