Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

46 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Of course the typical everyone else "The C&C is fine for me..."

In this case, and I'm right, Jurassic Park was a good OST when rearranged into a more chronological order (retaining album versions such as "Incident At Isla Nublar", because that's just a killer track), but it was missing some good stuff, including my favorite cue "The History Lesson". So the 20th Anniversary version "fixed" that issue and presented us with a more satisfying version, although they removed the chair creak from "Journey To The Island". All that was missing really was unnecessary dissonance and material that sounds like it's from the JFK score.

The Lost World, on the other hand, was missing an absolute shit ton of kickass Williams action/adventure, suspense and monster music. It was a good OST with a lot of highlights and a good taste of the score, but it's amazing how different it is in complete/chronological form. It's an entirely different beast. It flows better, as a listening experience, in my opinion, which is correct. It should be the preferred way of listening to it.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

That was a joke! :D

But there really is a mistake on the booklet cover (either's designer's or printer's probably the latter) and thus it has no teeth apart from one.

Well they better send out fixed booklets!!!

15 minutes ago, Lockdown said:

Well they better send out fixed booklets!!!

I am sure LLL will be very accommodating since it was their mistake in the first place (or the printer's).

40 minutes ago, Holly Martins said:

Ordered my copy on Tuesday. Really looking forward to having both of these complete scores. The samples sound great.

Welcome to the board, Holly! 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Welcome to the board, Holly! 

Thanks, Jay! :)

Also, regarding this release, I had to laugh about the toothless T-Rex. Pretty funny, but I'm sure it's an error that LLL will correct. I'm just happy to have these complete albums. The first copies of these scores that I owned were on cassette when I was about 5 or 6 years old.

Ha!

BTW, super grateful for this set, but I can already tell that my edit will favor the OST. Too much compression on this release for my tastes. Not a big deal - but a bigger deal than the teeth, at least.

EDIT: And that damn segue out of "The Dinosaurs" still ain't right...

Yup, dynamic range compression. I'm not as vehemently opposed to compression as some folks are, but I definitely noticed the difference with the 20th anniversary release, and I hear it here too. (At least so far - I'm only on "Dennis Steals the Embryo.") This score has some pretty explosive loud moments, but if the rest of the score is brought up to that level, the whole thing loses impact. I'm gonna just use this release to fill out the material missing from the OST, like I did with the 20th anniversary release.

Dunno how I'll feel about TLW...I'll see when I get there haha.

funny in the original JP OST I thought the quiet parts were too quiet and the loud parts too loud and needed to adjust the volume all the time

Data, seriously?  Isn't every single other aspect of the new sound (the clarity!) an improvement?  Wouldn't it therefor simply make sense to lower the volume of the quieter parts of the score to your liking instead of making a hybrid edit of OST mastering and Matessino mastering together?

13 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Nope.  I've ordered from them many times and never had any issues like that.  Maybe they literally haven't finished getting through the 1st 15 minutes!

MV just posted this on FSM:

We are getting to the orders as fast as we can. We had 1000 individual orders in just the first hour of the release.

MV

We can't know exactly what this means, but say it could mean they got 500 orders in the first 5 minutes and then another 500 within the first hour.... I have no idea how many orders they can ship out in a day... 100?  200?  300? No idea.  Anyway, its plausible they haven't shipped out orders received at 12:15 yet maybe.. I dunno.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Data, seriously?  Isn't every single other aspect of the new sound (the clarity!) an improvement?  Wouldn't it therefor simply make sense to lower the volume of the quieter parts of the score to your liking instead of making a hybrid edit of OST mastering and Matessino mastering together?

I just love how people make opinions on the sound of a release they havent heard before based on the wave form.

He was clearly listening to the score (his CD has arrived already) with his ears, and not being happy the dynamic range compression he heard.  Which has nothing to do with computers.

I'm not really concerned about dynamic range compression, because I had to confess that when I listen to a score in the bus and at the office, I use the "Intelligent volume" tool of my mp3 player.

It automatically equalize the volume in real-time... and prevent me from losing the quiet parts...

Anyway, I don't like a track that pass from "too-low" to " too-loud". I have to care about my heart and ears a bit...

If Matessino use a compression tool for managing analog recordings, he surely knows his thing.

1 minute ago, Bespin said:

I'm happy for those who live alone in their house or have a very comprehensive wife or husband! :D

Understanding you mean?

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Understanding you mean?

Ah, another "false friend" word, thanks (in french it's compréhensifs).

6 minutes ago, RPurton said:

My world is a very filmscore intolerant one, so private listening is all I get. Although the Island Fanfare has been known to sway family members and friends! 

When he talks about what I listen, my husband generally use this one and only sentence:

GEEZ... WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU LISTENING???

:yes:

1 minute ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Heh...we got a loads of those too. damn english borrowing from latin

None of those problems here. We of the Finno-Ugric language family do not carry the burden you Romance language speakers have.

20 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

"Oh, look at me, I'm Inky! I speak a language no one else understand, and I don't have the same problems you guys have! Awesome! Or as we say in suomi, mahtava! You don't understand? Don't worry, no one else does! Ugric rocks!"

Mahtavaa BB. Mahtavaa.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

I'm going to do some double-blind listening tests to be sure, but I don't think there are any aspects of this mix that I prefer to the OST. It's not as bright, and the only increase in clarity I hear is with the synths, which I don't really want to hear that well anyway. It's all purely personal preference - it's not like Mike and the team did anything wrong, it's just not to my taste.

I've manually decompressed stuff before, but it never sounds quite right...it's definitely a last resort for me. So I'll just stick with the OST mix when possible, and I'll subtly adjust the new material to match better. (There are a couple of audible take-to-take edits that I'm eager to jettison, as well.)

And Steef, like Jay said, this is all based on listening. I haven't even seen the waveform yet.