Jurassic Park and The Lost World Complete Release coming from LaLa-Land Records on 29th of November

Lockdown

Regarding the dynamic range discussion: I took the OST and JP Collection versions of Journey to the Island into my DAW and found that I had to reduce the gain of the latter to between -6 and -8 dB to get the quieter passages to match apparent loudness. Sure enough, this made the louder passages sound a lot quieter than they did on the OST.

The difference is less pronounced with TLW, as I suspected, though it's still there. And I actually prefer the new mix, unlike with JP. I think I'll ditch the TLW OST but still favor the JP OST in my edits.

The booklet has an "in memoriam" section at the last pages. But they forgot to mention that Bob Peck, the british actor who played the Raptor expert in JP (actually, not so expert), died in 1999.

13 minutes ago, phbart said:

The booklet has an "in memoriam" section at the last pages. But they forgot to mention that Bob Peck, the british actor who played the Raptor expert in JP (actually, not so expert), died in 1999.

First the teeth, now Bob Peck! ;)

My last tracking update is stuck at 5th Dec, departed from Vancouver airport. Waiting for this set to get to the UK: no updates in 3 days make me worry...

10 hours ago, phbart said:

He was Australian, wasnt he?

2 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

He was Australian, wasnt he?

English.

If you mean the character, the film's script described him as being "grim-faced, fortyish and British; someone whose voice commanded attention."

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Am I misremembering or did the character have an Afrikaner accent?

The character is described as having worked in Kenya, but his accent is just a plain old English variety.

Just noticed while reading the liner notes that embarrasingly Matessino gets the actor's name wrong calling him Bob Cook. Perhaps they can fix that if they reprint the booklet for us to fix the Tyrannosaur teeth. :P 

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

My one teeny tiny complaint is actually more a complaint about specialty label expansions in general.  In my opinion, the liner notes for these releases generally spend too much space on the background/history of the movie overall when personally I'd rather have as much of booklet as possible devoted to score discussion.  I can read a detailed production history of Jurassic Park in a thousand different places, I wanna read about the score.  I think that a brief summary of the production at the beginning just as context is all that's needed.

Just my preference.

Ditto.

I've noticed a trend across all the labels as time has gone on, that they spend more time talking about the film itself over the score, lately.

Just now, Jay said:

I've noticed a trend across all the labels as time has gone on, that they spend more time talking about the film itself over the score, lately.

I want FSM styled LOOOOOOONNGGGG track-by-track commentary!

None of the labels seem to do track by track commentary any more... I can't think of the last release I bought that had that.

Yeah track by track comentary is better. Probably its much easier to redact an essay about the producction of the film (much more information out there). And there are many more released now than then.

But all the OCD gripes about the liner notes aside, the music is what matters and it sounds glorious!  And while it seems like an obvious thing to say, I reiterate,I love this set! :)

I always skipped track-by-track commentary.  I like reading about the history of a film and the score in relationship to the film, any interesting notes about the composing/recording, a quick guide to themes if the score has them.  That's the stuff I find valuable.  After that, I prefer the music to speak for itself.

26 minutes ago, Incanus said:

But all the OCD gripes about the liner notes aside, the music is what matters and it sounds glorious!  And while it seems like an obvious thing to say, I reiterate,I love this set! :)

Indeed.  I still buy sets like this because it's obviously all about the music.  As I said, a minor gripe.

...and, once again, not in the mail. Why does it always take so super long to receive something shipped from the US? It seems all the other European folks ordering from LaLaLand directly already have theirs. And no tracking information *sigh*

Agreed, I'd love to see more info in these releases on the thinking behind the presentation, the contents of the various alternates and bonus tracks (including whether any material is duplicated therein, as it sometimes is), the sources used to compile the material, and so on. Some releases include some of this info, but I would appreciate something more exhaustive. I gave Lalaland's A.I. another listen recently, and enjoyed rereading Jay's interview with Matessino, which answered a lot of important questions.

7 minutes ago, paleo said:

How big is the package anyway? Does it fit into a regular mailbox?

If you ordered direct from LLL, and ordered it by itself, they wrap the 4CD clamshell in bubblewrap, then put that in a priority mail bubble mailer.  If  you ordered it along with some other releases they would stack your CDs, wrap them in bubble wrap, put them in a box, then put more bubble wrap in before closing the box.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

If you ordered direct from LLL, and ordered it by itself, they wrap the 4CD clamshell in bubblewrap, then put that in a priority mail bubble mailer.  If  you ordered it along with some other releases they would stack your CDs, wrap them in bubble wrap, put them in a box, then put more bubble wrap in before closing the box.

Boil them, mash them, stick them in a stew.

The package was so well bubble wrapped (you get extra points for this LLL Employee 2) it didn't fit through a regular mail box on the door so I had to pick it up at the post office. Which is usually the case with such packages.

30 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The package was so well bubble wrapped (you get extra points for this LLL Employee 2) it didn't fit through a regular mail box on the door so I had to pick it up at the post office. Which is usually the case with such packages.

The same for me. Picked it up this afternoon and going to listen to this later this evening. :music:

So copies are reaching The Netherlands. Good. I hope to receive mine soon.

The tracking information has been stuck on "In-Transit" for the past two and a half days.

Did you order from LaLaLand directly as well?

Teethgate 2016 Update

One word answer: Oops

Solution one: Accept it and move on (if your OCD allows it)
Solution two: Take a sharpie and add teeth

End transmission

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=117626&forumID=1

:P Nooooooooo!!!!

And they are being so brazenly bold about it too! Flaunting their mistake!

But I might survive this "teethgate 2016".

It would be incredibly costly for them to replace the booklet for anyone who asks and I have to imagine they don't think they're going to lose very many customers' future business over it.

At this point, it's just a funny quirk for me.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Agreed!

Yes. We Finns respect humility and this was not it.

But I cannot afford not to buy from them since they might be holding keys to the kingdom of JW releases.

I pass the OCD test and remain Inky and with toothless JP collection cover and will diminish and pass into the west.