The Music Of The Hobbit Films - Doug Adams' Book confirmed by Howard Shore

Bilbo

Does this bode well for the release of CR's for the Hobbit? I'm sure Doug has been writing with the complete score in mind...

12 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm more curious about what rarities might come with the book. The main unreleased thing I want is the eagle music from AUJ.

Yes and Gandalf's theme when he talks of Radagast in AUJ. It's harder for me to spot music that's unreleased for DoS or BotFA that I can say I want, although given the release of complete scores I'd be happy to change my opinion.

I didn't know how much I wanted The Lost World untill listening to the complete score. Yet I feel the Special Editions and The Hobbit Scores in general feel like too much, even seeming longer than the LotR scores. It's disappointing but the CR's release couldn't hurt!

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

- The Company's theme statement during the escape from Goblintown (still can't believe that one was microedited out of the OST. What was Shore thinking? The whole cue is just one long build-up to it!).

Yes that's another I forgot!

I still maintain Shore was craggy about using the Company's theme. He didn't write it and PJ kept saying:

PJ: "Oi cunt, where in flippin' Bilbo's socks is that fuckin' theme for the company, that's some bloody good shit roight there, ya lazy bastard, Jesus H. Christ on the cross!"

HS: Well Peter, I've got several themes for the company, there's a theme for Thorin an...

PJ: Nah, look, I know you've got a million themes comin' out of your Cimbalom but it ain't the one those other cunts made. Don't give me this shit about "ooh but there's eighty-five thousand individual themes mate" cos that theme that they made is the shit I want to hear! Ya hear me?

HS:***Skype call hangs up***

Hasn't Doug tweeted about renewing registration of that site before? Not sure if it indicates any kind of progress as such.

As for CR's, I suppose we should remember that there is probably quite a bit of stuff we haven't heard - more music for the chariot sequence from the BotFA EE for example, which Doug confirmed he was referring to in part when he said there would be lots of good new music in the climactic parts of the BotFA EE (little did he know...). The funeral piece is obviously another one. There's probably some more from AUJ and DoS. I recall Jay and Jim saying something about unheard music for the initial Azanulbizar flashback in the DoS EE, this I really want to hear (however brief). I guess my point is, there's probably a fair few unheard gems we don't realize we need yet, but will be very thankful for if we ever get them.

Like Jay, I too want it all (and now, as Freddie Mercury might have said if he was still alive, liked the Hobbit and was on these forums).

Alvar is getting old. 

There was a time when you played the role that SUH does now. A time when they once called you...the Messenger.

1 hour ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Have not been posting many of them lately actually, was using that one to answer someone's question. Tend to skip posting most of the tweets that I find interesting about future releases because of this bizarre negative reaction to such things.

I don't see the problem with a fan site discussing bits of official news (including twitter posts from those involved) related to their interests. Doug's recent response regarding the upcoming Hobbit book discussing the complete scores is pretty big news. Yes this is one of the few places where these scores (and tweets)  are discussed - but film scores aren't discussed in many parts of the internet.

Wasn't trying to seem negative!  It's just amusing because, well, we're...weirdos.

Well there wasn't much time for you to post the thumbnail since I posted it as soon as he replied to me 😂

Sounds great Doug, can't wait to get it.  I hope there's a signing somewhere near me when it launches :)

I've been pretty forgiving of Jackson over the years (well compared to most around here anyway) but I sense this book could tip me over the edge.

Having read Doug's post above, I'm now convinced we'll be getting Hobbit CRs. Is there any chance that DOS or BOTFA will suddenly contain an epic Misty Mountains statement? Or do I need to abandon my continuity dreams?

What?! Oh come on, the albums are a total mess! 'That's on the special edition... but this bit is not on the special edition but it IS on the standard edition...' And what about 5.1 presentations? The AUJ OST mix is dreadful, sounds more like a Hans Zimmer mix to me... They extended three films that only needed one thing: a shorter running time. And they don't even deserve Shore's efforts, why not at least do the music justice with one well-rounded presentation?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Sounds great Doug, can't wait to get it.  I hope there's a signing somewhere near me when it launches :)

Yeah, Doug! Do a launch in Dublin!

Of course it will be cool to read that book.

However, to pee on my own bonfire, if missing and/or unreleased pieces will be written about, but not heard or released, like the funeral piece, there is literally no point in discussing them in the book.

There are instances where film versions exist, that are not present on any album, but are still canon, most prominently in An Unexpected Journey.

As a film music fan, and admirer of Shore's music, I would feel slightly, say, bewildered if those pieces of music, about which I was told for a very long time that I would get the solutions to eventually, were to be excluded.

If I was to be 100% honest, the analysis of the music, and additional trivia around it, will be a nice-to-have, but years later now, practically all I'm super interested in is the missing music we know about. I don't need mockups, I don't need interviews, I don't need stories about Conrad Pope. All I want is the additional music, like the funeral cue and Eagle piece, and maybe the odd alternate.

I cut my expectations down because after three years, I get the feeling that the key people to make Complete Recordings happen don't really give a fuck. 

Doug seems like he's trying to prepare us for the worst with those comments regarding the CR's.

For the 'I want everything' types, will one CD suffice? Maybe for DoS and BotFA combined (maybe, I might be being optimistic), but AUJ seems like it would need at least one CD to include all the full presentations, alternates, thematic presentations, etc. As BB said, 'Brass Buttons' builds to that Misty Mountains crescendo, so you'd probably need to include most of that track again (and would you add the initial Gandalf's theme/Misty Mountains bit at the beginning, or have that as a separate piece?). Then there's the full prologue piece, since we know the Bilbo stuff at the beginning (heard briefly in that 10-minute Shore piece released before AUJ) is missing, along with some microedits to the Erebor bits - do you include that in full again? There's numerous other examples but you get the idea, we know from the Rarities that Doug likes to include a decent bit of surrounding material so I couldn't see these being too isolated.

The LOTR mock-ups sounded dreadful to me... Who came up with that stupid plan to give us standard and special editions anyway? How is a 2 CD OST standard? HOw is a special edition special if it doesn't contain all the standard material?

18 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

?

Keep listening from 6:19 here. It makes sense, since the piece as we have it transitions from the title card to the map, as it were. Sounds wonderful.

Bloodboal, are you quite sure DOS SE isn't missing some material? I think someone once mentioned here that 20 seconds or so were missing that WERE present on the standard edition.

Doug's latest comments already shattered my CR illusions, though it will indeed be ridiculous to read a chronological score analysis while not having the full score to listen to. Can't Doug explain that that would be kind of weird? It would be wise...

I've seen each Hobbit movie three times (2x theatrical and 1x extended), which is a lot because I don't tend to rewatch movies much.  I certainly haven't pored over the scores, etc.  The only "memorable" thing I can think of that wasn't on the score releases was the Weird Ringwraith Moment from AUJ, and that's also the one thing that I can understand Shore not wanting released.  It is a pretty neat moment musically, ignoring the context.

I've always been satisfied with the "lacking" FOTR release that some people seem to complain about, and a (proposed? potential?) unreleased highlights CD would probably be more than enough to satisfy me, too.  Maybe that single disc is even planned for Doug's book.